Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #121
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
He certainly didn't have little power.Very good puncher imo, though not as big as his brother.
From what i have seen, the Moon fights, he didnt really set his feet and let go with full blooded shots hence why I thought he wasnt a big puncher, though now I am disagreeing with my first thoughts.

He actually has a nice style to watch strangely fluid for such a mechanical stance.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #122
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think he appears a lesser puncher due to the fact he fought better opposition
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #123
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
I think he appears a lesser puncher due to the fact he fought better opposition
Fair point

Khaoker Galaxy vs Wilfredo Vasquez

Quite a good fight here, but an amazing display by Khaoker.

The fight started fairly slow and at range, the rounds were pretty even but i prefered Galaxy's movement and jab, although Vasquez landed some good left hooks over Galaxy's jab and right hands to his chest. The fight changed in the third as Vasquez looked to get inside and had some early sucess but Galaxy quickly adapted and started to beat Vasquez on the inside and stunned him near the end of the round. In the 5th Galaxy was knocked down but it looked like an exaggerated fall more than anything but a punch did hit him. Very odd.

After that the fight was one sided as Galaxy just stayed on top and out boxed Vasquez controlling him behind a jab and out fighting him when needed. Vasquez did keep it competitive with good hooks to the body and the aforementioned right hand to the chest but couldnt grasp the iniative from Khaoker. Khaoker stunned Vasquez afew times but could never really keep him hurt. Khaoker at times got abit over confident and Vasquez kept him honest with some good blows but khaoker responded with excellant combos.

Galaxy: 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 KD'd 5
Vasquez: 5*
Total: 118-109 Galaxy (11-1)

Galaxy UD

* 10-8 round

I thought after the Bangla bout that Khaosai was more physically imposing than his brother, but that is not the case as at times Khaoker was imposing himself on Vasquez.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:37 AM   #124
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Having not seen the fight can anyone explain how Vasquez beat Canizales?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #125
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Lloyd Honeyghan vs Don Curry

First time I have seen this fight. The fight started fairly evenly as both men felt each other out, I thought Curry landed teh sharper shots. In the second Honeyghan came out and landed a long right hand on Curry's chin and stunned him badly and kept the pressure on him but could not finish him off. Curry regrouped well to take the 3rd and 4th with his sharp shooting but looked to be trying to get the KO instead of boxing.
The fight took its final turn in the 5th as Honeyghan again hurt Curry and really poured it on and gave him a good shellacking. The 6th was more of the same as a cut opened up on Curry's face, deciding enough was enough Curry did not want to continue after the 6th round.

Honeyghan:2,5,6
Curry: 1,3,4
Total: 27-27 Draw (3-3)

Honeyghan RTD6 Curry

Wilfred Benitez vs Bruce Curry I

A very good action packed fight here.

The bout started cagily as Benitez sized up Curry but a massive right hand stunned Benitez badly and won the round for Curry. The second and third rounds were Benitez's as he out pointed Curry with fast combinations. Deciding to turn it up in the 4th Benitez really turned it on and looked to finally take controll before a massive left hook from nowhere dropped Benitez badly. Benitez getting up very shakily got dropped again and still looked hurt with 15 seconds to go but managed stay upright. Sensing his advantage Curry picked it up in the 5th and dropped benitez again but Wilfred showed some good defensive instincts to hold on.

Finally getting his legs underneath him, Benitez played a negative game and took the 6th round from Curry who was badly tiring from his sloppy finishing in the preceding two rounds. Benitez again took command from the 6th thru to the 9th but lacked his usal sharpness and seemed lackadasical at times.

In the tenth both boys looking for a big finish, they slugged it out but Benitez's faster hands pulled him through.

The fight was scored on a rounds basis but on a points system Benitez would have lost! (although not on my card)

Benitez: 2,3,6,7,8,9,10 KD'd 4x2,5
Curry: 1,4,5
Total: 94-93 Benitez (7-3)

Benitez SD Curry
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #126
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Ken Buchanan W15 Jim Watt (this is now on Youtube)

I had it 145-141 Buchanan (9-5-1). I think Harry Carpenter had it a little closer. I have no problem with that. There were a lot of close rounds I just think that Buchanan was edging most of them being just a little busier and with his ring generalship.
It was a very interesting tactical affair. I found myself contrasting it to Arguello - Watt. Arguello seemed to use the Cardinal rules versus lefties: front foot outside the southpaws front foot and throw plenty of lead right hands. Buchanan hardly seemed to acknowledge he was fighting a southpaw and boxed him pretty straight-up and as usual initiated things with his jab. Both men (but especially Watt) were marked up pretty good at the end of the fight. Buchanan had some kind words for Watt at the end of the fight. Entertaining fight albeit not a barnburner. I'd be interested in hearing some other scores on this fight. It wouldn't shock me if some gave it to Watt.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #127
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I thought that was a real off-night for Buchanan.Watt was green, but like Witherspoon against Holmes, he never looked better than this fight imo.Have to consider the scottish rivalry aspect as well, Watt really rose to the occasion.

The difference i saw between this and the Arguello fight was that Arguello made no effort to "box", just punching the stuffing out of Watt with his usual accurate powershots and quickly getting him into survival mode.Buchanan as you say, just did his usual pointscoring orientated offense, only with a good deal less sharpness than his best efforts.Against a super accurate minimalist jabber like Watt, who was world class because he fought smart and did a few basic things eceptionally well, it was never going to make for a showcase by trying to pit those very same tools(jab-one-two) right back at him.

Buchanan did show his underrated infighting when the fight got in close though.He could really throw nice short combos in there.I thnk he would have done much better, had he focused more on it, as Watt needs much more room to operate.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #128
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Wilfred Benitez vs Bruce Curry II

A cagey affair with both guys knowing each others power looking to satya away. I gave the first to Curry who landed some well placed shots but after that it was all Benitez, although he did make afew mistakes early and lacked sharpness. About the 5th Wilfred took over and it was vintage as he turned and waltz Curry out of position and mashed him with counters and in the 10th gave a clean punching clinic.

Benitez: 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Curry: 1
Total: 99-91 Benitez (9-1)

Benitez UD

Wilfred Benitez vs Randy Sheilds

Simply superb. Benitez was absoloute class. He kept in front of Sheilds and made the fight abit of a shoot out. He was making Sheilds miss and then making him pay while standing in front of him! Brilliant to watch. His right hand was in song and hurt Sheilds numerous times and in the 6th dropped Sheild heavy with a monstrous right hand. Sheilds lasted teh round but retired wisely afterwards.

Benitez: 1,2,3,4,5,6
Sheilds: KD'd 6
Total: 60-53 Benitez (6-0)

Benitez RTD6 Sheilds
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #129
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Lupe Pintor vs Jose Antonio Rosa

I'm not to familiar with Pintor so I thought I would be best to start from near the beginning so this is a pre-title Pintor.

Rosa started the bout positivly throwing shots from range and rushing into smother Pintor but Pintor's classy left hook to head and body impressed me, especially to the body.

In the second he pinned Rosa pinned Rosa in a corner and kept him there. I was impressed with Pintor when he trapped Rosa in the corner as he kept his distance well and stayed composed, keeping it at long range to get full leverage. In the third it was more of the same but a left hook stunned Rosa and he squatted down but stayed upright.

In the fourth Rosa strated to escape from the corners and the ropes so Lupe cleverly started to physically pin Rosa to the ropes and unloaded some brillaint right uppercuts. Was impressed with the way he suddenly changed his tactics to adjust to Rosa.

The fifth was dominant as a long left hook dropped an oncoming rosa early in the round, although Rosa rose unhurt he could not get out of the corner like he did in round 4. Later in the round a big right from Pintor forced a standing 8 count on the bell. The sixth was similar and after knocking Rosa down the referee halted the contest.

Pintor: 1,2,3,4,5
Rosa: KD'd 5x2*,6
Total: 50-43 Pintor (5-0)

*= one of the KD's was a standing count

Pintor TKO6 Rosa
Old 01-09-2010, 03:16 AM   #130
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Monzon/Griffith II

Round 1: Monzon 10-9
Round 2: Monzon 10-9
Round 3: Monzon 10-9
Round 4: Monzon 10-9
Round 5: Monzon 10-9
Round 6: Monzon 10-9
Round 7: Monzon 10-9
Round 8: Griffith 10-9
Round 9: Griffith 10-9
Round 10: Even 10-10
Round 11: Griffith 10-9
Round 12: Griffith 10-9
Round 13: Monzon 10-9
Round 14: Monzon 10-9
Round 15: Griffith 10-9

Total: Monzon 145-141 Griffith

(Actually, the fight was scored on a 20-point must system, but **** that.)

People seem to talk about this fight as if it was a totally lackluster performance from Carlos, but I think it was more a case of him going to sleep after the first half of the fight. At the start, he looked brilliant: as fast as I've ever seen him, mixing it up a lot more than in Griffith I, getting off first and totally negating Griffith's attempts to get inside with heavy body shots, upper-cuts and hooks. He used the right hand as frequently as I've seen him (apart from vs. Briscoe) and was much more effective with it than when he just stood there constantly pawing with the jab. At one point, I think he threw a six or seven punch combination - so much for the one-dimensional 1-1-2 man! Basically, I felt he was boxing Emile's ears off and totally handling him until Round 8, where he seemed to run out of energy. (Obviously, he had trouble making weight and had to train the day before-hand, if you buy that.) Still, I thought he stole enough of the later rounds even with little left in the tank to win quite clearly.

The Monzon of the first half of the fight was a serious force to be reckoned with, though.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #131
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
Monzon/Griffith II

Round 1: Monzon 10-9
Round 2: Monzon 10-9
Round 3: Monzon 10-9
Round 4: Monzon 10-9
Round 5: Monzon 10-9
Round 6: Monzon 10-9
Round 7: Monzon 10-9
Round 8: Griffith 10-9
Round 9: Griffith 10-9
Round 10: Even 10-10
Round 11: Griffith 10-9
Round 12: Griffith 10-9
Round 13: Monzon 10-9
Round 14: Monzon 10-9
Round 15: Griffith 10-9

Total: Monzon 145-141 Griffith

(Actually, the fight was scored on a 20-point must system, but **** that.)

People seem to talk about this fight as if it was a totally lackluster performance from Carlos, but I think it was more a case of him going to sleep after the first half of the fight. At the start, he looked brilliant: as fast as I've ever seen him, mixing it up a lot more than in Griffith I, getting off first and totally negating Griffith's attempts to get inside with heavy body shots, upper-cuts and hooks. He used the right hand as frequently as I've seen him (apart from vs. Briscoe) and was much more effective with it than when he just stood there constantly pawing with the jab. At one point, I think he threw a six or seven punch combination - so much for the one-dimensional 1-1-2 man! Basically, I felt he was boxing Emile's ears off and totally handling him until Round 8, where he seemed to run out of energy. (Obviously, he had trouble making weight and had to train the day before-hand, if you buy that.) Still, I thought he stole enough of the later rounds even with little left in the tank to win quite clearly.

The Monzon of the first half of the fight was a serious force to be reckoned with, though.
I thought he was fairly lacklustre in it to be honest. I had him just nabbing it by 1 or 2 rounds if i remember right. If you watch the first fight with Griffith you will notice a huge difference in Monzon.

Lupe Pintor vs Andres Torres

Just more Pintor. the fight started easy then Pintor landed a massive left hook to the body dropping Torres who got up and looked hurt. Remarkebly Torres fought back well but Pintor was cleanly picking him off like an assasin, nothing fazes that guy at all.
I did not see a cut open up but i never realy do when i watch a fight on TV, and the bout was stopped on cuts in the 4th although Pintor was dominating and really picking him off by that point.

Pintor: 1,2,3
Torres: KD'd 1
Total: 30-26 Pintor (3-0)

Pintor TKO4 Torres

Lupe Pintor vs Tony Rocha

Pintor started as usual and looked good. In the third he dropped Rocha who rolled under the ropes when he went down and looked hurt but springed up at '8' and survived the round. In the 4th Pintor unleashed a beastly liver shot and Rocha was rolling all over the floor even after the ten count had finished and while they was announcing the result!

Rocha: KD'd 3,4

Pintor KO4 Rocha

Lupe Pintor vs Eijero Murata

Excellant fight this real contrast of style and had alot of drama. Murata came out positivly and really out manuevered Pintor and landed hard jarring shots especially his right hand that really shook Pintor. Murata just kept moving and landing his shots. In the 5th and 6th Murata looked to start to tire but still took the rounds. The pace slowed in the 7th as Murata took a break and Pintor landed some good counters to take a very close round. At this point I was thinking Murata will start to tire and Pintor will come on like Margarito vs Cotto. It seemed Murata's workrate was what Pintor was bothered about.

The 8th, 9th and 10th were a return to the pattern as again Murata moved around and landed his hard right hands on Pintor who just couldnt seem to time him properly.

Although in the 11th it all changed. Murata elated by his sucess decided to trade with Pintor and shook him early, sensing his advantage he pounced on Pintor who engaged in an inside war and looked and Pintor landed some jarring uppercuts and soon Murata was all round the ring as Pintor punched desperatly (but still completly composed and unfazed) but Murata showing his grit weathered the storm. Perhaps both needing a rest the pace slowed and Pintor again took it with good counters in a very close round. Murata amazingly recaptured his earlier form and took the 13th round with his controlled boxing.

The 14th was the clearest round of the fight as Pintor punched Murata round the ring and a stoppage looked possible as Murata took a hiding and survived a doctor inspection for a closed right eye. But try as he might Pinto couldnt finish off his prey. Like Lazurith Murata came back amazingly and outboxed Pintor to snatch the final round.

I disagreed with the Draw result and felt Murata got it, it would be interesting to see if anyone else has seen this bout as it is excellant. Although Murata's early rounds were close I did think his right hand won them for him.

Pintor: 7,11,12,14*
Murata:1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,13,15
Total: 145-139 Murata (11-4)
*= 10-8 round

Pintor DRAW Murata
Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #132
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
I thought he was fairly lacklustre in it to be honest. I had him just nabbing it by 1 or 2 rounds if i remember right. If you watch the first fight with Griffith you will notice a huge difference in Monzon.
You see, I have, and this is it: I don't get what was so bad about the latter version of Monzon. The way I see it, the only reason the fight was remotely close was because Monzon either ran out of energy or just generally went to sleep after the half-way point. Obviously, he dominated Griffith better in the first fight, but all he was really doing was jabbing and dropping the occasional right hand, and Griffith just couldn't get to him. In the second fight it looked like Griffith had a much more aggressive attitude and was getting inside with a lot more vim, and that forced Monzon to mix it up more - which he did, and looked good doing it. I just don't see how it was an all-round "lacklustre" performance, other than the stamina issue.

I seem to be going against the grain a bit here. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #133
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Watched Jones' amateur career and first few pro fights. Couple of Golden Gloves finals, plus the Olympics including the Sun robbery. Looked very impressive if a bit wild. I don't know how much Roy really improved as he went through his early fights, because his raw skills were so good that they generally just overwhelmed his totally over-matched opposition.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #134
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
You see, I have, and this is it: I don't get what was so bad about the latter version of Monzon. The way I see it, the only reason the fight was remotely close was because Monzon either ran out of energy or just generally went to sleep after the half-way point. Obviously, he dominated Griffith better in the first fight, but all he was really doing was jabbing and dropping the occasional right hand, and Griffith just couldn't get to him. In the second fight it looked like Griffith had a much more aggressive attitude and was getting inside with a lot more vim, and that forced Monzon to mix it up more - which he did, and looked good doing it. I just don't see how it was an all-round "lacklustre" performance, other than the stamina issue.

I seem to be going against the grain a bit here. Maybe I'm missing something.
Just think Monzon was sharper in the first fight, but good point about him slwoing down after the mid point. Also like you say Griffith had a good strategy the second time round aswell and he thinks he won the fight.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #135
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post

Lupe Pintor vs Andres Torres

Just more Pintor. the fight started easy then Pintor landed a massive left hook to the body dropping Torres who got up and looked hurt. Remarkebly Torres fought back well but Pintor was cleanly picking him off like an assasin, nothing fazes that guy at all.
I did not see a cut open up but i never realy do when i watch a fight on TV, and the bout was stopped on cuts in the 4th although Pintor was dominating and really picking him off by that point.

Torres: KD'd 1

Pintor TKO4 Torres

Lupe Pintor vs Tony Rocha

Pintor started as usual and looked good. In the third he dropped Rocha who rolled under the ropes when he went down and looked hurt but springed up at '8' and survived the round. In the 4th Pintor unleashed a beastly liver shot and Rocha was rolling all over the floor even after the ten count had finished and while they was announcing the result!

Rocha: KD'd 3,4

Pintor KO4 Rocha

Lupe Pintor vs Eijero Murata

Excellant fight this real contrast of style and had alot of drama. Murata came out positivly and really out manuevered Pintor and landed hard jarring shots especially his right hand that really shook Pintor. Murata just kept moving and landing his shots. In the 5th and 6th Murata looked to start to tire but still took the rounds. The pace slowed in the 7th as Murata took a break and Pintor landed some good counters to take a very close round. At this point I was thinking Murata will start to tire and Pintor will come on like Margarito vs Cotto. It seemed Murata's workrate was what Pintor was bothered about.

The 8th, 9th and 10th were a return to the pattern as again Murata moved around and landed his hard right hands on Pintor who just couldnt seem to time him properly.

Although in the 11th it all changed. Murata elated by his sucess decided to trade with Pintor and shook him early, sensing his advantage he pounced on Pintor who engaged in an inside war and looked and Pintor landed some jarring uppercuts and soon Murata was all round the ring as Pintor punched desperatly (but still completly composed and unfazed) but Murata showing his grit weathered the storm. Perhaps both needing a rest the pace slowed and Pintor again took it with good counters in a very close round. Murata amazingly recaptured his earlier form and took the 13th round with his controlled boxing.

The 14th was the clearest round of the fight as Pintor punched Murata round the ring and a stoppage looked possible as Murata took a hiding and survived a doctor inspection for a closed right eye. But try as he might Pinto couldnt finish off his prey. Like Lazurith Murata came back amazingly and outboxed Pintor to snatch the final round.

I disagreed with the Draw result and felt Murata got it, it would be interesting to see if anyone else has seen this bout as it is excellant. Although Murata's early rounds were close I did think his right hand won them for him.

Pintor: 7,11,12,14*
Murata:1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,13,15
Total: 145-139 Murata (11-4)
*= 10-8 round

Pintor DRAW Murata
Yes Greg, I've seen this fight. I also had Murata taking it, though I recall having it pretty close. Felt like Pintor came on strong at the end but too late.
natonic is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum