Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #1336
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabCross View Post
I'll have to rewatch the fight, because I was unsure on rounds 6 and 10 and I didn't think the shoving was bad enough for point deductions. What surprised me though was that Khan persisted in pushing, despite being warned several times by the referee, and I think that this cost him the fight. All in all, Khan's performance was pretty underwhelming for a guy who was talking about how he could beat Floyd Mayweather a couple of weeks ago.
I agree with you on points, and disagree.

Where I disagree: round 4 was clearly for Peterson. Having it even is incorrect.

The things on which I semi-agree:

Khan was fouling and spoiling to stay in the fight: He needed a way to keep Peterson off of him, because he was losing. The ref allow Khan to tie, headlock, manhandle, foul, and push would have absolutely allowed Khan to win the fight, because Peterson would have been completely neutralized.

The second point deduction was for the wrong reason, I agree with you. The ref SHOULD have deducted a point for Khan hitting on the break, as Khan blatantly did. As it stands, that particular push was borderline, worth a stern warning as some elbow was used, but a point deduction for it was totally inappropriate.

The first point deduction came far too late. Khan was fighting horribly dirty. And the referee stepped in to take a point for something, again, that didn't really happen; He should have deducted a point for the blatant elbow use.

So, in summary;

I think you turned in a great scorecard. Probably the fairest I've seen, and the most accurate, for a guy who sympathized most with Khan during the action. You should rewatch the round, its one of the better ones in the fight, and I think you would see that Peterson, for landing more shots, landing the harder shots, and pressing the fight effectively, deserved the round.

I think the referee was incompetent, but on the whole, his actions were hardly unjust. Khan deserved 2 points off that night; If I were the ref, I'd have probably taken three, and by the 12th would have warned Amir a DQ was coming if he didn't start boxing instead of fouling and spoiling.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #1337
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Tommy Gibbons vs Jack Bloomfield

Really impressed with both here.

Gibbons looked superb, his lateral movement on the outside was great and he used it to step in at angles. Another thing I liked about it was he kept so loose, especially around his shoulders, that he was always feinting with it and this kept Bloomfield hesitant.

I loved the way Gibbons teppe dinside either off a jab or a lead hook, with his head and low and some nice movement, almost Hopkins-esque. Then he'd land hard shots inside while tieing his man up. Really nice stuff.

His finishing was superb, lovely short left hooks and right hands.

Bloomfield looked really good as well, pretty much textbook today IMO. Kept his hands high and looked to work off the jab and then counter as Bloomfield came in, he looked a wee bit like Juan Manuel Marquez IMO. He landed some lovely 1-2-left hook counters as Gibbons stepped in, but he was just out-gunned and bedazzled by a great fighter on this night IMO.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #1338
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Antonio Ezparragoza vs Pascual Aranda

Now Aranda is a solid, teak tough Mexican who just goes forward and keeps punching. His skills were pretty poor but he gave it his all. Ezparragoza just took it easy and gradually upped through the gears and took Aranda out in the tenth with a lovely combination.

Anontio Ezparragoza vs Mitsuku Sugiya

Now this was a superb fight.

Sugiya is a nice tidy pressure fighter who kept the pressure on then would step in with nice sharp hooks and straights.

Sugiya started off well keeping the pressure on a strangely abscent Esparragoza who was allwoing himself to be overwhelmed. Ezparragoza came to live in the third and put the Jap down, however the Jap resonded by hurting Tony and punching him round the ring in the fourth. Tony then started to wake up and took the next three rounds and put Sugiya down twice in the sixth but Sugiya kept pushing forward, and took the eighth, again stunning Tony and punching him around.

However in the tenth Tony really upped it and landed a lovely right hand to end matters, and somehow Sugiya got to his feet at 9, but a wise ref stopped it.

Great fight.

Esparragoza:3,5,6,7,9
Sugiya : 1,2,4,8
Total: 86-82 Ezparragoza (5-4)
Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #1339
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I could've given Aranda anywhere between 1&4 rounds there. He kept coming, but couldn't bring Esparragoza out before getting smashed. Fun fight.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #1340
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Ayud Kalulu vs Masisha Kudo

What a weird fight, its just pretty boring and non-descript really.

Kudo is pretty much a todays amatuer boxer: tall, rangy, fights on the backfoot almost exclusivly, pawing jab and a respectable and accurate back hand. He starts off so negativly, just pawing with that jab and looking to slip in a straight right on the advancing Kalule and it did work, but man how boring it was.

As the fight progressed Kudo had to be more aggressive and he rose to that couragously but he took a bit of a beating when he did go forward and let the hands go.

I think he fought a stupid-ish fight though, as in the middle rounds he did a pretty good job of jabbing and moving, getting off first then moving away and as soon as Kalule started landing again he seemed to revert back to exclusivly moving.

Kalule for what its worth, fought pretty well. He stalked his man, and it was pretty poor pressure in all honesty as he just followed Kudo around, and literally let him run away at times, but what I loved was the way Kalule would step forward and as soon as Kudo threw, he would slide back half a step then fire his own shots, that was lovely.

Kalule did a great job of countering to head and body throughout the fight, loved his right uppercut counter and that straight left. He also countered superbly coming in under Kudos straight shots, and then whacking th ebody with hard hooks, abit like Napoles.

He also landed the best punch I have ever seen thrown in the 14th, he hit Kudo with an uppercut to the body as Kudo stepped back, and then Ayub followed through with the uppercut and landed to his chin.

Kalule: 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 (10-,14,15
Kudo : 1,6
Total: 148-136 Kalule (13-2)

Scored the 13th 10-8 as it was real one sided

No the pressure was perfect for that kind of outside-midrange box-punching( keep in midn he's not looking to get inside or trap Kudo).Taking it easy, allways controlling the distance between them and able to control exchanges as he wanted by effortlessly moving into punching position.Beautiful footwork.

The problem is that kind of thing works a lot better if you hit hard enough to get your opponent out of there, or hurt him and then move up the gears.

Kalule fought as if he had a lot more power than he did and stuck methodically at the same patient technical approach, so when in with a lesser fighter he could dominate but not, hurt you got round after round of him comfortably controlling things at the same pace\gear.That's okay if you get him fighting a guy with an enetertaining or classic style, but with safety first types it makes for very boring fights.the Gregory defence is the pinnacle of that.

incidentally Kudo's defences against Manuel Gonzalez were exciting back and forth controversial battles.Gonzalez being a more straight line flat footed lesser Kalule in the defence area, with a Cotto like offence and level of ability.A steady technician with a much more rounded offence than Kudo, yet who struggled with the movement and sneak rights because he wasn't as technically refined, especially in the legs.It was the footwork that killed Kudo against kalule, with him being totally one dimensional and unable to adapt to not having the edge there.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #1341
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Kalule Vs Ho Joo: seen it Mante'?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #1342
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

lora is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #1343
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

****s sake! I know you have, meant Kudo Vs Ho Joo Seen that?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #1344
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Yeah, it's another entertaining close maybe controversial fight.Joo gives him no respect and just keeps swinging away.

Not exactly a good technical fight though, really.The mighty Joo had no consideration for such things.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #1345
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

At least I know it's out there
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #1346
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

At least Joo do. Haha

Will need to check out the Joo performance by Kalule, got Watanabe vs Roman in, but I'll have to watch it after the darts
Old 01-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #1347
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

You got it then? Enjoy Thinking of doing Kalule in Teetos styles thread (counter puncher of course) but goin' to bed now and am still pretty weary from that Benton piece.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #1348
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Got what?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #1349
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Kalule-HoJoo?

And would Kalule be a counter puncher or a pure boxer? Or would you agree that the lines blue there sufficiently enough that is doesn't matter what I pick?

Good thread that, dunno how it passed me by.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #1350
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Aye I have it.

Dont know, I aint seen much of Kalule to comment but from what I have seen hes a counter puncher

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum