Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
SILVIO_DANTE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Do yous think it's counter-productive to spar with people much bigger?

Coach at my gym mixes it up and sometimes throws people in with people who are much bigger (I'm talking a 5"9 welter vs. a 6"3 heavy). Obviously the bigger guy is told to watch his power. [NB this is normally when there aren't enough people to spar with, and obviously the smaller guy has to be happy to do it]

When I spar these guys I just find it demoralising as there's nothing I can do against them - my shots don't hurt them, and if I try go too hard they'll match my power and destroy me, I get constantly picked off by their jab and can't get in etc.

Makes for a pointless exercise imo.

What do yous think?
SILVIO_DANTE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Default Re: Do yous think it's counter-productive to spar with people much bigger?

i think it is incredibly useful.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: Do yous think it's counter-productive to spar with people much bigger?

It can be useful if the person knows how to restrain his power, otherwise it's completely useless IMO.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

When I first started I didn't get why my "trainer" constantly put me in the ring with huge blokes and angry cunts off the street who would beat the shit me right in front of him.

Since taking a break from training I realized he was actually watching me handle fear and being in highly stressful situations under his controlled environment.

It's about developing fortitude, character and brain power when the odds are against you.

I think it is very good for building a fighting character, it was counter productive at the time for me because I was only new and thought he didn't like me, so therefore I didn't understand the exercise and therefore why I couldn't handle the big guys or stressful situations well.

9 time out of 10 the heavys are taking it easy on you anyway, its your mind that plays tricks on you when you're scared. Correcting that and working out how to fix the predicament is the whole point of the exercise.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I sparred with a 12 year old tonight.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
eric9t3
The_Guy

Thumbs up Re: Do yous think it's counter-productive to spar with people much bigger?

I Know It Is; If U Can Handle A Bigger Guy U Can handle Almost Any Guy!
eric9t3 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Did that last week, almost knocked him out by accident. It did nothing for me though.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
bobalachko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think its useful to certain extent but not if its all one way sparring.
bobalachko is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
AndrewFFC
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
'Sparred' you say?
AndrewFFC is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Ha ha yes... but it got me crouching and moving my head which is tricky and using a tight guard to block punches. He got to throw at 100% against someone who'd give him a tap if he left his hands down.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

It helps you work on your outside fighting and work speed and angles. If you're always the bigger person in sparring, then you're going to try to bully in your fights, and when you find someone who can bully harder than you... then .... lights out.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

I find it useful for me in both respects. A bigger guy is useful for the above reasons. And sometimes the smaller guys who are a hell of alot faster and more skilled than me are also useful to learn how to deal with their speed. I need more sparring all round as im a raw beginner but iv never sparred yet and found it counterproductive for me its always been productive!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing