Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has there ever been a world champion pro boxer from India and/or of Indian ancest

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Khan is as close as you'll get.

His family come from Rawalpindi, which was part of India till 1947 (I think) so he's essentialy of Indian ancestry.
Forgot Khan, hes technically Indian ancestory
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
dee-z-r
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Has there ever been a world champion pro boxer from India and/or of Indian ancest

that brit featherweight akassh batia or summin lyk dat
dee-z-r is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #18
aj415
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Khan is as close as you'll get.

His family come from Rawalpindi, which was part of India till 1947 (I think) so he's essentialy of Indian ancestry.
Don't count, and its an insult.
aj415 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #19
aj415
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
The same way taiwanese are technically chinese ?

aj415 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #20
dominator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1397

Gurcharan Singh is one, was inactive for a few years but has come back to the scene, quarter finalist in Sydney 2000 Olympics :

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Pradeep Singh is another:

dominator is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #21
aj415
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Gurcharan Singh is one, was inactive for a few years but has come back to the scene, quarter finalist in Sydney 2000 Olympics :

Pradeep Singh is another:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Mgt4UsFv0[/ame]
aj415 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #22
Arka

You'd think,given the poverty in the subcontinent,it may become a fertile breeding ground for boxing talent in the next twenty years.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #23
TheUnstoppable
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Um, may I ask how .. ?
TheUnstoppable is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #24
Arka

How? Apparently,Amir's a Punjabi from the Rajput caste. 'Technically' he could be said to have Indian ancestry.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
faisal
Hoolios daddy
ESB Addict

vCash: 1167

my parents are from india, i was brought up in england, and boxing is generally looked down upon as any other combat sports in indian society, theres hardly any audience for sports like boxing. indian sports i still dominated by cricket,tennis,hockey u'll find few ppl who show an interest in combat sports. as for the issue of poverty any indian kid or any1 from indian parientage can tell u that the only way of making it to the big time is through education Indian culture is very conservative in terms of education u'v got a better chance at being a decent doctor and putting food on the table in india then u have or making something out of boxing in a society that isnt familiar with the sport.
faisal is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #26
TheUnstoppable
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
How? Apparently,Amir's a Punjabi from the Rajput caste. 'Technically' he could be said to have Indian ancestry.
Haha, you mean those guys from like, over 1000 years ago?
TheUnstoppable is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #27
Arka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnstoppable View Post
Haha, you mean those guys from like, over 1000 years ago?
Many Rajputs are Hindus too.
Given his caste, his ancestors were Rajput converts to Islam from Hinduism.
Also like Hindus ,Muslims in the subcontinent traditionally married within their own caste.
So...I dunno.

The Indian subcontinent is weird.There is far more variation in races and ethnicities than in the whole of Europe.
Amir for practical purposes is British-****stani.That is all.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #28
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro View Post
I know there was a female amateur boxer from India and she won a lot of competitions, can't remember her name but I'll try to find it. It is surprising with a population so big that more boxers haven't come through. As said before itís more to do with the culture most kids prefer cricket or even wrestling although their wrestling often differs from Olympic wrestling. They do a lot of Pehlwani. I'm half Indian and can't think of any pros they seem to be doing better in the commonwealth games in recent years.
Mary Kom aka K. C. Merry Kom. She fights in the 46 kgs Pinweight class. I saw her box in the Asian Women's Boxing Champioships when the competition was held last year in my hometown - Guwahati. She was making a comeback after getting married and becoming the mother of two kids. She lost in the finals. But later in the year she went on to win her 4th World Championship in China. She is from Manipur, which is a neighbouring state to my own state of Assam. But ethnically she is a Naga.

So Mino, you are half Indian?
abraq is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #29
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
In fact India has only won one gold medal in the history of the Olympic games.
Yes. And that Gold Medal came only in the last Olympics when Abhinav Bindra won a shooting event. But one Gold is true if you count only individual events. India has won several Olympic Golds in Hockey. Also the one and only boxing medal (a silver) came in the last Olympics. Courtesy - Vijender Singh.

Not that I am offering an excuse. It's a real shame that with such a huge population we have done so badly.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 03:36 AM   #30
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As far as any Indian moving to a foreign country and doing well in boxing is concerned, I remember reading an obituary in a Calcutta newspaper. It mentioned the death of a Bengali boxer who had moved to Great Britain and done well in pro boxing. I can't recall his actual name but do remember that in Britain he fought fought under the name of 'Puncher Pancho' or something like that. Much of this may be inaccurate. It has been a long, long time since I read that paper.
abraq is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum