Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #16
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: who wins Fletcher or Hamsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
lol. You grossly overrate Tony "The-rapist for $200 Alex" Ayala. He wasn't, nor would he ever have been better than Duran at any weight.
Duran was a blown up LW, Tony was a natural 154 lber with KO power. Pure logic.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morlocks View Post
For great all-time action, could there be a better fight than Frank "The Animal" Fletcher vs. Mustafa Hamsho back in early 80's before Fletcher's style wore him down and he started losing in 1983. Picture a prime 1981-1982 Fletcher against a prime 1981-1982 Hamsho. Let the bloodbath and southpaw hooks begin.
Hamsho definitely wins! I considered this question many times in the early '80s, when I saw both guys on TV a lot. Fletcher, although tough and dangerous, always struck me as being somewhat vulnerable, even at his best.

My reasoning is that Hamsho would have been too tough and too competent on the inside and outside to lose to Fletcher.

It would have been a great match, but Hamsho would emerge as the victor by decision or late round TKO.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1 View Post
Would Hamsho be able to handle Duran or Tony Ayala Jr. in a middleweight matchup?
Duran would have been too much for Hamsho. Roberto wins this fight by decision, mostly because of superior ring intelligence.

Ayala was still a junior middleweight when he was forced out of boxing in 1983, just entering his prime. Thus, we don't know for certain how he would have fared against a top 160 pounder. My guess, though, is that with a little mroe seasoning and a few extra pounds of muscle, the ultra-talented Ayala would have been able to handle Hamsho.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sibson would have swept them all aside.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Actually, this fight probably wouldn't last past the mid rounds.Fletcher would give it his best, but Hamsho's superior strength would wear Frank down.Probably Mustafa by seventh round TKO.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Frank "The Animal" Fletcher was my man, I liked him and I really wanted to see a big money matchup between him and Marvelous Marvin Hagler for the undisputed middleweight title seeing that it almost did happen (was slated for the spring of 1983)before Fletcher's 12-round decision loss to Wilford Scypion.

Mustafa Hamsho was a very durable and tough cagey fighter who after taking that massive ass whooping in his first fight against Hagler(and in the process sustaining 55 stitches to his face alone)came back the hard way with three solid tough wins against Curtis Parker, in a rematch of their first encounter, a young undefeated Bobby Czyz and a still solid and formidable former 3-time world division champion and H.O.F. Wilfred Benitez and all by decision before doing the rematch with Hagler.

In a head on head matchup between these two southpaws and unforgettable weekend national television warriors I would say Hamsho by a 10th round knockout over the obviously game but slightly outgunned Fletcher who was actually starting to become a force in the middleweight division and was twice just one fight away from a major payday and showdown with Hagler before the two brutal losses to Scypion and Juan Domingo Roldan. Both of those losses took a toll on Fletcher who was no doubt matched a little to roughly by his H.O.F. promoter J.Russell Peltz who at times was known for matching his fighters to tough even though some of those matches presented us fans with some decent and unforgettable fights.

Hamsho KO10 Fletcher!
Nate 2011 is online now  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fletcher was the better fighter, but took such a brutal series of fights that he burned out quicker.

Prime for prime the Animal wears Hamsho down to win a decision.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
stonehammerjack
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
Fletcher was the better fighter, but took such a brutal series of fights that he burned out quicker.

Prime for prime the Animal wears Hamsho down to win a decision.
I go with Fletcher by cut stoppage in 9 in a veritable WAR. What a fight it would be.
stonehammerjack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum