Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Svengali
Life. ***. Death.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default I need a PROVEN pushup improvement routine

Not just googled stuff. If you can really knock out pushups, help me get better so I can look good on my next military eval. We have two minutes to knock out as many as possible, proper form. 31 is the absolute bare minimum for my age bracket. I usually get stuck at about 50. I dont think Im training properly.

An thoughts would be appreciated.
Svengali is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Re: I need a PROVEN pushup improvement routine

Dont take this the wrong way mate, but i would imagine the best way to train to do push ups is to do push ups. Put the 2mins on the clock and knock out as many as you can like you will have to in your evaluation. Like anything you will improve.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
LJB
Journeyman

google "evil russian push up programme"
LJB is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
mgmark7
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

I do this from time to time:

Do 10 press ups, get up walk and down, drop down do 9 press ups, get up walk up and down, drop down, do 8 repeat down to 1 press up then do the same back up to 10 press ups.
mgmark7 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Dont take this the wrong way mate, but i would imagine the best way to train to do push ups is to do push ups. Put the 2mins on the clock and knock out as many as you can like you will have to in your evaluation. Like anything you will improve.
i agree. to improve at a chosen discipline, actually do that discipline.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
SILVIO_DANTE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

50 is quite a lot anyway.

I can't really get past 50 either.
SILVIO_DANTE is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
i agree. to improve at a chosen discipline, actually do that discipline.

well especially when its one exercise, you are only gunna get good at situps by doing them your only gunna get good at chin ups by doing them. Push ups same as any exercises.

Your meant to use the individual exercises in different ways to get good at something more complex ie boxing , being aso you cant just spar non stop every day
Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #8
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

People will bitch for this, but improving my one rep max on bench helped more than anything. I could bust out 100+ at the fire academy when I was hitting 350+. Now I'm down to 315 for a few and doing about 80-90. I don't think it's just a coincidence.
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #9
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Marcum View Post
People will bitch for this, but improving my one rep max on bench helped more than anything. I could bust out 100+ at the fire academy when I was hitting 350+. Now I'm down to 315 for a few and doing about 80-90. I don't think it's just a coincidence.
Im sure its not coincidence makes sense that that would work. I just meant to get good at one specific exercise then just do that exercise. But yeh im sure benching would help i guess its similar muscles. But i imagine you were doing push ups as well. I take it you didnt just bench loads then find you one day you could do loads of push ups all of a sudden?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Svengali
Life. ***. Death.
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post

I do pushups 3 times a week bro.

What Im saying is I get stuck on a certain threshold when trying to get my failure point higher.

I can bang out more sets of pushups the more I do them, as long as I rest in between. But no matter what, if I have to do as many as I can in two minutes, I always seem to fail at about 47-51. Been stuck on this for like a year.
Svengali is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Nights View Post

I do pushups 3 times a week bro.

What Im saying is I get stuck on a certain threshold when trying to get my failure point higher.
Yeh bro i do 100 a day 7 days a week , used to only be able to do 50 and once upon a time i used to do 25 and i was stuffed. What im saying is the only way to do more is to push past that threshold bit by bit and it will get easier.

You want to get better at push ups do more push ups! Im sure there are various exercises that would contribute to helping your goal. But i would imagine generally the way to getter better at push ups is to do more push ups

Sorry if you wanted a magic fix mate i dont know of one.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
doomer36

This is a guide to take you up to 100 a day

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Its suppose to work quite well too..
doomer36 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
boxingtactics07
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

grease the groove (research it on google) - not only will it help your maximum pushup, but it will also get you used to doing pushups all day long; something that MIGHT come in handy when you join the military. You should also do the program with pullups. You would do both exercises monday-saturday (no other upper body push/pull exercises though and make sure it's NEVER to failure as the article requests). This will ensure that you ace the pushup portion for the test (pullups are to be used as a proper antagonist exercise and you'll have to do them anyway). Run every odd or even day for just a little over 2 miles to increase your running ability. Perform 3X2-minute situp tests alternated with a light non-weighted lower back exercise on the opposite day of your running (so if you run on even days, perform this workout on odd days). A routine similar to this should be your main focus since you need to be excelling at the four specific exercises when you're in the military (pushups, pullups, situps, running). Stick to the basics, adding in more exercises will just lead to overtraining and it'll stray you away from your main goal. My 2 cents.
boxingtactics07 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
mgmark7
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmark7 View Post
I do this from time to time:

Do 10 press ups, get up walk and down, drop down do 9 press ups, get up walk up and down, drop down, do 8 repeat down to 1 press up then do the same back up to 10 press ups.
If you do this protocol you will have done 110 press ups. It can be done 20, 19, 18........1,2,3...18,19,20 for 220.

This protocol can be done on 1 day and on the next day the target specific protocol can be done.
mgmark7 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105

I've reached over 100.

My routine consisted of doing different types of pushups, triangle(make triangle shape with both ur hands so their touching), normal press up and wide press ups. If your training to do 50, do something like 30, 30, 30 then up it by 1 number every day. Then end of the week max out, meaning try doing normal pushups to your max...then repeat.
dangerousity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing