Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #16
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I need a PROVEN pushup improvement routine

its a bodyweight thing, big muscled guys it is far more difficult for them to do push ups or chins.

Small guys with no training whatsoever I have seen do over 70 or 30 chins and they never ever trained before.

Its more to do with bodyweight imo
doylexxx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
Jnes
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
its a bodyweight thing, big muscled guys it is far more difficult for them to do push ups or chins.

Small guys with no training whatsoever I have seen do over 70 or 30 chins and they never ever trained before.

Its more to do with bodyweight imo
I agree with this. If you look at a lot of those "incredible feats" of strength performed by Chinese monks, a lot of them depend on having a low body weight.

Also consider the television show "Ninja Warrior." The contestants are light guys, probably around 125-150lbs.

Musclebound westerners are often outperformed by skinny Japanese because they weigh less.

Your weight creates an endurance ceiling--at that weight, 50 might be all your muscles can do.

I think a possibility would be to do a push-up on a scale to get an idea of how much weight you are pushing as if you were benching. Then, go to the gym and do reps on the bench with a greater weight than that and work your way up to 50 reps. Then see if you can do more regular push ups.

An easier thing to do would be to get a weighted vest or put some books/weights in a backpack and do push ups with that on.
Jnes is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Marcum View Post
People will ***** for this, but improving my one rep max on bench helped more than anything. I could bust out 100+ at the fire academy when I was hitting 350+. Now I'm down to 315 for a few and doing about 80-90. I don't think it's just a coincidence.

^^ this. When I had weight training class in highschool we did the typical before and after tests with push ups, pull ups ect on the first and last days of class. I did like 25 or something pushups straight the first time and almost 50 the last day. Didnt do any inbetween but I was doing bench presses every week for the whole semester and from that alone I was able to do so many more pushups without tiring.
elTerrible is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Visualise your shoulders doing a corscrew movement during the excercise. It helps.

Don't just keep your hands on the floor, actually grip the floor with your fingers.

You should be able to crank out a few extra reps.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
brown_bomber
BROWN BOMBER
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1597

keep doing push ups till you drop
brown_bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #21
aj415
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Nights View Post
Not just googled stuff. If you can really knock out pushups, help me get better so I can look good on my next military eval. We have two minutes to knock out as many as possible, proper form. 31 is the absolute bare minimum for my age bracket. I usually get stuck at about 50. I dont think Im training properly.

An thoughts would be appreciated.
How much time do you have between now and then

To train for your goal its best NOT to train like the test (aka doing pushups till you max out). Do a # of reps in 3 sets (aka.. say 25 pushups x 3 sets) 1-2 minute break at most. Start with a # that you can actually DO.

Increase the reps over time, as you get stronger. Sporadically test your total improvement in the two minute time limit.

Also during your training/if when your arms fail, switch to GIRL pushups to allow your arms to still get extra reps. This will increase the amount you can do faster. Work the muscles involved in other excercises helps tremendously certainly.

A variety of excercises will tremendously help if you stick to a consistent regime. Dips, pullups, decline pushups, bodyrow, chinups, pike pushups, hindus/divebombers

Also be concious of whether or not one side is significantly stronger then the other. If so then isolate the weak side and do excercises/ extra reps to allow it to catch up. One arm or side of the body failing first can certainly hinder your pushup count totals
aj415 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Im sure its not coincidence makes sense that that would work. I just meant to get good at one specific exercise then just do that exercise. But yeh im sure benching would help i guess its similar muscles. But i imagine you were doing push ups as well. I take it you didnt just bench loads then find you one day you could do loads of push ups all of a sudden?
No actually that's exactly how it happened. We had a contest at the beginning and I had not done a push up in years. Needless to say I blew everyone else away, including all of the military boys.
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #23
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Nights View Post
Not just googled stuff. If you can really knock out pushups, help me get better so I can look good on my next military eval. We have two minutes to knock out as many as possible, proper form. 31 is the absolute bare minimum for my age bracket. I usually get stuck at about 50. I dont think Im training properly.

An thoughts would be appreciated.
Its true what's already been said, the only way to get good at push ups is to do push ups..

Pyramids are a good way to improve, as is doing them against the clock, i.e, 1 min, then 30 secs, 15 secs etc... i do 90 in 1 min (proper press ups, my bro places his hand flat on the ground and my chest touches each time) and ive used these methds for years.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Marcum View Post
No actually that's exactly how it happened. We had a contest at the beginning and I had not done a push up in years. Needless to say I blew everyone else away, including all of the military boys.
Fair play i stand corrected, still for me personally to get good at one exercise i would work on that one exercise. Maybe im just being backwards
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #25
Svengali
Life. ***. Death.
ESB Full Member

Good stuff ya'll
Svengali is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #26
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The sites related to the evil russian pushup program are useful.

My advice is to work supporting muscles with dips, bench press, pull ups etc. While trying to improve your Push Up PB. Don't tire yourself out, 2 minutes is a long time to be exert a nice number of pushups.

I would work out a pyramid plan in how how you're going to approach the 2 minutes.

Here's what the evil russian trainers advise-

‚ never come to close to failure, except when testing your max
‚ vary the reps and the rest periods between the sets daily
‚ adjust the load to your recovery ability
‚ build up cumulative fatigue
‚ taper down before a peak

Last edited by thejokerswild; 12-01-2009 at 01:06 PM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #27
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For Tampa and others interested.

Quote:
Before the bench press was a twinkle in some early powerlifter's eye, the push up was the true measure of a person. A hundred separated the men from the boys; the women from the girls. Still does. How will you rate?

Pretty good if you follow my program.

All right, so you're not planning to join the marines- your loss, their gain- so why should you bother giving me a hundred? Because, if you train the right way, this push-up drill will fill out your pecs, delts & tri's faster than a jarhead recruit can clean a latrine with his toothbrush.

Where heavy resistance training builds the contractile proteins, high-volume, low intensity loading, such as push-ups, kick other wheels of the muscles machinery into growth. The volume of sacroplasm goes up. Mitochondria, the muscle cells' energy plants, get buff. Capillaries spread their tentacles throughout the muscle.

Even though capillaries make up but a fraction of a muscle's girth they serve a VIP function in bulking your myofibrils, or "real muscle", when you get back to heavy training. Here's how it works:

A 1995 British study by Schott et al., concluded that greater exposure of muscle cells to various metabolites, or "muscle engine exhaust fumes", leads to greater gains in strength & mass. It has been suggested by some experts that the more extensive a muscle's vascularity, the more the muscle will be soaked in intra-muscular metabolites & growth factors, & the more it will grow.

At least up to a point. According to Soviet research (Zalesskiy & Burkhanov, 1981), vascular network development generally can not keep up with muscle growth. So if you want to keep on growing beyond the easy first gains, you must find a way of developing your vascular network.

This is where super high reps come in. In 1986, Luthi et al., discovered that heavy training has no effect on capillarization. In 1984, Tesch et al., added that Olympic weightlifters & other athletes who favour low-rep training with long rest periods display capillary density that is even lower than that of untrained subjects! The same year, Sjoogard stated that enhanced capillarization is the result of endurance training. (Could explain why your legs gain mass so much easier than your arms?)

The evil Russian’s “hit the deck” program

WEEK 1

Mon: 100% test, relative intensity (RI) 30% Set frequency (SF) 60 min
Tues: RI 50% SF 60 min
Wed: RI 60% SF 45 min
Thurs: RI 25% SF 60 min
Fri: RI 45% SF 30 min
Sat: RI 40% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 20% SF 90 min

WEEK 2

Mon: 100% test RI 35% SF 45min
Tues: RI 55% SF 20 min
Wed: RI 30% SF 15 min
Thurs: RI 65% SF 60min
Fri: RI 35% SF 45 min
Sat: RI 45% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 25% SF120 min

WEEK 3

Mon: 100% test

The program outlined in the chart above is self-explanatory. Just drop & give me a specified percentage of your last personal best at given time intervals throughout the day. For instance, if you managed 50 push-ups on your test, do 25 on the day that calls for 50% relative intensity. On Mondays, test yourself for one set & do east sets for the rest of the day. You are going to love the constant pump!

Time the breaks between your sets, but you do not have a fit if you missed your date with the concrete here & there. Make it up if you can; do not sweat it if you cannot. Do your sets from the time you get up until an hour before you go to bed. Naturally, most comrades with a real job will have a couple of gaps in their day when they cannot drop & pump out push-ups. Do not worry about it; just gets back on schedule when the boss looks the other way.

Note that you are only supposed to go to the limit once a week. High rep sets to exhaustion are a lot more dangerous than they look. Tension in the stabilising muscles is inadequate to protect the joints & the connective tissues; the latter really get it in the shorts. So do not mess with the outline; stay well within your ability except on test days! Do not worry, you’ll make great gains without collapsing on the last rep, dripping in sweat & making macho faces.

The prescribes regimen requires that you say no to any other upper-body work with the exception of pull-ups or chin-ups. Either of these military favourites will hit the muscles missed by the push-ups & balance out your deltoids.

A word on push-ups for reasons other than getting buff or becoming one of the few good men. Push-ups are no good for strength unless you can merely manage a couple. The time-honoured push-up, however, is useful for developing shoulder endurance for sports such as boxing.

Proper push-up technique

Whether you’re training for the boxing ring or the bodybuilding stage, proper push-up technique will amplify your gains.

Place the weight near the base of your palms rather than closer to your fingers. If the traditional technique hurts your wrists, you have a couple of options. The yuppie choice is a set of push-up handles. The heroic alternative is to do your push-ups the karate way, on your knuckles. The proper martial arts knuckle push-up calls for resting your weight only on two knuckles of each fist. You will find this technique will strengthen your wrists in a hurry. No your forearms won’t look any better, but your bench will go up because your noodle-thin wrists will stop screaming for mercy & wraps.

Keep you butt tucked under; this will make your push-ups look crisp & protect your back from sagging & hurting.

Do not constrict your chest, keep it wide open. The range of motion will be slightly reduced, the pecs will be pre-stretched for more power, & you are less likely to hurt your shoulders that way.

Also, look straight ahead rather than down. Tension in the neck extensor muscles facilitates a stronger contraction of the elbow extensors.

High-Tension Push-Up Techniques

First, grip the ground with your fingertips. Do not attempt fingertip push-ups; just imagine you are trying to leave claw marks on the ground

Second, clench your glutes hard & flex your abs.

Third, squeeze your thighs tight together.

Fourth, “screw your hands into the floor”.

Fifth, hold your breath on exertion.

Do all of the above during the actual rep, at lockout relax as mush as possible. Take a few breaths before the next rep. The above techniques are only to be applied during your test sets! Or for very difficult low-rep exercises.

The Push-Up Rules of Engagement

 never come to close to failure, except when testing your max
 vary the reps and the rest periods between the sets daily
 adjust the load to your recovery ability
 build up cumulative fatigue
 taper down before a peak

Keep you push-up cycles short & sweet. According to a 1990 study by Russian scientists Nikityuk & Samoylo, repetition lifting of a submaximal weight promotes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy while breaking don the contractile proteins, the “real muscle”. So, in other words, that’s not good. Which is why you are going to alternate two-week periods of push-ups with two weeks of your regular upper-body weight training routine. This rotation schedule, made popular in Russia, is superior to doing everything at once, e.g., doing your push-ups, followed by your benching, followed by your triceps push-downs.

There you have it, Comrade, your complete guide to push-up excellence. Put it to work & fill out your shirt before the month is up!
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #28
viru
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post

Bollox. I've never seen or heard of anyone being able to do even 10 actual full chin-ups without any training whatsoever. Just because somebody is light doesn't mean they'll be able to lift themselves up easier as they have smaller muscles to begin with.

Everyone seems to be over-complicating this whole thing. If you want to become good at push-ups do push-ups often till you exceed your target.
viru is online now  Top
Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #29
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 505

Last edited by KillSomething; 05-16-2013 at 06:38 AM.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #30
Punisher73
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

One thing that I did was to do a set of 10 pushups once an hour all day. It increased my pushups by alot in a short amount of time because my body got used to doing them all day long.

I believe that a regular push up is about 60% of your bodyweight. It still does not translate equally to a bench press because your body has to support itself while doing the push up so it engages more muslces than a bench press since your body is supported by the bench and the back and core don't need to stabilize you.

To train endurance, I used to alternate sets of doing 10 push ups and then immediately flip over and do 10 sit ups and then go down until you are only doing 1 pushup/sit up. That comes out to a set of 55 push ups and 55 sit ups. If you start at 15 reps and work down to 1 it comes out to be 120 pushups and sit ups.
Punisher73 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing