Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

I have a problem with people saying Ray Leonard and Muhammad Ali and refering (in both cases) to a fighting prime that never was.

Maybe Ali's peak performances would be Williams, Terrell, Folley even if he'd carried on fighting. We dont know.
Same with Ray Leonard - and this guy chose to retire at 25, (with the eye damage being a main reason of course).
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I have a problem with people saying Ray Leonard and Muhammad Ali and refering (in both cases) to a fighting prime that never was.

Maybe Ali's peak performances would be Williams, Terrell, Folley even if he'd carried on fighting. We dont know.
Same with Ray Leonard - and this guy chose to retire at 25, (with the eye damage being a main reason of course).
All depends on how you view Muhammad Ali's career...I think we would have most likely seen he best of him during the time he was exiled.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
All depends on how you view Muhammad Ali's career...I think we would have most likely seen he best of him during the time he was exiled.
I imagine we might suppose the same thing about Tyson had he been jailed straight after the Michael Spinks or Carl Williams fight
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Roy Jones Jr. He had already won world titles at mw, smw, lhw and hw, and had a ten year reign as p4p#1, then a few years of under-par performances, before he finally reached his prime against Calzaghe, Sheika and Lacy.

(this is not a joke, I read a comment from an unnamed poster on the General last week who stated with absolute seriousness and conviction that Jones's peak was against Calzaghe)
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #20
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Felix trinindad, was a all time great welterweight, his prime was the 3 fights at lightmiddle against the unbeaten vargas and reid and the european champion and the joppy fight at middle. In them 4 fights tito looked devasting and the best he looked through out his career
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #21
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_Boxing_J12 View Post
Felix trinindad, was a all time great welterweight, his prime was the 3 fights at lightmiddle against the unbeaten vargas and reid and the european champion and the joppy fight at middle. In them 4 fights tito looked devasting and the best he looked through out his career
If you say Tito for that reason, you have to say Tommy Hearns for the same reason.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
If you say Tito for that reason, you have to say Tommy Hearns for the same reason.
At welter trinidad stayed unbeaten and won his super fight unlike hearns, and over all trinidad had the better wins at welterweight
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #23
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_Boxing_J12 View Post
At welter trinidad stayed unbeaten and won his super fight unlike hearns, and over all trinidad had the better wins at welterweight
If you say so
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #24
PunchOut
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 618
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Sanchez obviously
PunchOut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_Boxing_J12 View Post
At welter trinidad stayed unbeaten and won his super fight unlike hearns, and over all trinidad had the better wins at welterweight
Is this a serious post??
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #26
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asero View Post
i can only think of one...
I genuinely have only read one post here (this one obviously) but I have a feeling you might be picking Pacquiao here.... I`ll go check now
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #27
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Benitez hits the mind first.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #28
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

Not sure if Fenech counts, in his very early 20s when he took his first strap.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #29
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

My answer to the thread would be Tyson.... people were going crazy about him when he won the HWT title at 20.

Only with hindsight does Ali get the full credit he deserved for his 64-67 run, he wasnt too popular & didnt box like your average HWT, footspeed, handspeed, hands low etc.
Too many people were against Muhammad Ali when he was actually in his peak & he therefore wasnt regarded as a true ATG at his absolute best until he came back to show his toughness & versatility in the 70s, when ironically, he was a lesser fighter by quite a bit.... he had the comp in the 70s tho to show what was always inside him.

Tyson on the other hand was treated as the 2nd coming, a breath of fresh air in everyone`s minds.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #30
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxers who achieved ATG status in their pre-prime stage!!!

What about Morales? It's debatable, he was one of the most prolific fighters ever in terms of his age at 122. Benitez sort of stands alone,
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013