Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
THEHAMMER321

vCash: 1000
Default Foreman's power

We all know how hard he punched but what if his technique was better as i read one time Gil Clancy who was in Foreman's camp at one time stated that george's power could have been even better which is scary
THEHAMMER321 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Foreman's power

I think Foreman's technique was pretty good for generating power, but he telegraphed the punches and his technique left him open and expended too much energy, esp. when he missed.

I often wonder how hard Muhammad Ali could have hit had he used better technique. He had the speed, the bodyweight, the strength and the athleticism to be an absolute devastating puncher. But he rarely exploded his weight into his shots, and often just flurried with light arm punches. He suffered from bad hands though.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Rubber Warrior
Resident ESB Soothsayer
ESB Full Member

He had enormous power but he clubbed at his foes. Clancy was correct.
Rubber Warrior is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I think Foreman's technique was pretty good for generating power, but he telegraphed the punches and his technique left him open and expended too much energy, esp. when he missed.
True.

Quote:
I often wonder how hard Muhammad Ali could have hit had he used better technique. He had the speed, the bodyweight, the strength and the athleticism to be an absolute devastating puncher. But he rarely exploded his weight into his shots, and often just flurried with light arm punches. He suffered from bad hands though.
I suppose we saw his potential at times. Against Cleveland Williams, for example, and some of the punches he landed on Frazier in the first and third fight. The punches he ended the fights with Foreman, Bonavena, Lyle, Folley etc were others.

But he was usually content with flurrying. I don't think he really had the build for that really awesome power either. He didn't have the broad shoulders and thick chest most truly devastating punchers have.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

I think it's his "clumsy" body mechanics that allowed him to punch that hard, and that he would not have pulled it off had he thrown short and compact punches.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Unforgiven, excellent point. I have been thinking about starting a thread talking about Ali's arm punching which he did so often.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

imagine if he had the co-ordination of Roy Jone's Junior..!
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Savagekat
Fight Fan

Foreman's power was amazing. I believe if he could have come into the few fights he lost latter in his career a few pounds lighter he would have had enough speed to win those fights. Not that Big George was fast, he just might have been fast enough to catch Briggs, Morrison, or even Holyfield and put their lights out. That said, many fans argue that he won the Briggs fight and he undoubtedly gave Holyfield a run for his money. Not to mention he came back after a ten year layoff and became the oldest man to win the heavyweight title. That is the greatest testament as to his power right there.
Savagekat is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Foreman is an amazing figure. Foreman is physically stronger than most any heavyweight ever, has one of the greatest chins ever, and has a supreme will to win.

I've always thought his career was great in spite of his technique, not because of it.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 04:33 AM   #10
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Funnily enough you mention about Ali's power there. I just watched his first fight with Frazier last night and when being introduced by the ring announcer, his record was given as 26KOs in 31 fights. Thats quite a percentage for a so-called non big-puncher
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

If Muhammad Ali had possessed one shot knockout power,he'd have been frightening !! We'd have had to stop insulting him with words like miraculous and incredible.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum