Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #31
Bioyhh
Riot Dog

vCash: 500
Default Re: What makes an IRON CHIN?-A Physiological analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
And this was an exhaustion stoppage rather than anything else.

Yes, that was a very interesting study; I remember reading a paper about Tex's brain in particular. They expected to find considerable neurological damage, but in fact, after an intensive examination of his head with a whole battery of tests, they failed to find any neural tissue at all.
As I recall, this examination was conducted by SI for an article on cumulative brain damage in fighters. The participants were Tex, Jerry Quarry, and a young no-name lightweight who had been KO'd in his last several fights. Both Quarry and the no-name had had extensive amateur careers in addition to their pro bouts, and both of them showed signs of significant brain damage and cognitive impairment. At the time, Tex had only had 23 or so professional fights - - many of which were early round victories - - and that was the extent of his boxing career (he had no amateur fights, but was trained as a martial artist.) If I recall correctly, the examining physicians attributed Tex's remarkable good health to the fact that he hadn't had that much boxing experience, and not to anything that he had learned in his martial arts training as such. The ultimate point being that it was the number of blows a boxer incurred, rather than the severity of the blows, which was the cause of brain damage in fighters. SI had originally wanted Ali to participate in the study, but he declined. Given what eventually happened to both Muhammad and Jerry, SI's choice of test subjects was quite prescient.

Last edited by Bioyhh; 12-08-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Bioyhh is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #32
Arka

vCash: 1000

Here is the Sports Illustrated article Duodenum and Bioyhh referred to:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Arka is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #33
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Here is the Sports Illustrated article Duodenum and Bioyhh referred to:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Okay, thanks.

Having just read it, I again wonder if there shouldn't be a minimum age at which kids would be allowed the freedom to consent to activities which involve the sanction of getting punched in the head. Like Tex said at the end of the article, "Dammit, I'm a grown man." But Jerry Quarry and Muhammad Ali were not grown men when they started getting hit, and Jerry admitted he was too young and naive to make rational and informed judgments about what his father was making him do.

If they're supposedly too young to consent to ***ual activity (whether they want to or not), then how the hell are they supposed to be able to validly consent to being punched in the head?

Revealing, that Ali's sense of smell was going, as that's now recognized as a symptom of Alzheimer's.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #34
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

was thinking abit about this the other day my Brothers an amatuer boxer and he has a real weak neck you can snap his head back with a jab that hits his gloves, like a bobble head but he takes a real good punch
GPater11093 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum