cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cold blooded execution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
What difference would it have made?
Monzon who was huge for the weight was known to cut alot of weight, even training some times day of fight to cut the last 3 or 4 pounds, so with day before weight in monzon would not of been training morning of the fight. Plus 24 hours gives him more time to rehydrate. Against jean claude bouttier in there first fight monzon had to cut nearly 5 pound morning of the fight and against emile griffith in there 2nd fight he had to cut 4 pound morning of fight. So i think that should answer your question what difference it would of made, because monzon didnt look him self in both fights

Last edited by cotto20; 11-30-2009 at 06:25 PM.
cotto20 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #17
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Those '73 defenses, both rematches..against Bouttier and Griffith were both subpar performances (for him) because of the shooting incident.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Those '73 defenses, both rematches..against Bouttier and Griffith were both subpar performances (for him) because of the shooting incident.
Also cutting that weight so close to the fight hasnt helped

Last edited by cotto20; 11-30-2009 at 06:25 PM.
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #19
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He was one of the best 15 round fighters of all time. Rarely did he have any stamina or durability issues due to weight draining. The same day weigh-ins wouldn't have made too much of a difference I don't think, at least not for an android like Monzon. I thought you were insinuating that he could've cut down to a lower weight or something preposterous like that.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

I imagine the shooting incident may have affected his training which is why he had trouble making weight for Bouttier and Griffith II, two of his less impressive performances. Otherwise he seemed to make the weight without any trouble.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #21
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
His jab was superior to Louis or Arguello's imo.

Simply one of the best, most effective right hand punchers of all-time.

I think that it's taken in tandem where he really streaks ahead. And when he doubles up he's terrifying.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #22
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Joe and Arguello lack in the consistent pointscoring or "fencing" aspect of the jab i think.Range finding, disrupting and using it as a heavy offensive tool they are fine, but Monzon really could do it all with his jab.

It was occasionally slow or telegraphed looking, but he rarely ever threw it at the wrong time and got countered.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #23
northernstar83
Northernstar83
ESB Jr Member

Immense, brutal!!!
northernstar83 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 AM   #24
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Talk about delivering the coup de grace. Benvenuti was immensely strong and tough. To watch him retreating to the corner like a wounded animal with Monzon calmly going after him and cutting him down with the climactic shot is just a little bit chilling. About as good a right hand I've ever seen any man throw, and a brutal end to a very bad night for a great fighter - courtesy of an even greater fighter.
Brutal end to a fight, reminds me of the Duran-Bizzarro KO a bit. If you just want to see the KO (and I wouldn't blame you if you do, because Bizzarro's style of running for this fight was not exactly a joy to watch) start off at about 6:13.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYUC3NnaH8I[/ame]

Keep in mind too that Bizzarro has basically been out on his feet since about 5:43 and gotten a standing 8 count and been KDed already in that same round. Totally helpless, didn't even know where he was, and Duran walks in and takes his head off.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #25
EleventhHour
Got Dat Black & Gold Soul
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2501

Jeeeesus, that was a shot.
EleventhHour is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #26
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
That punch ruined Benvenuti's chin, and his career along with it.

A lot of people don't remember, but Benvenuti was actually experiencing something of a career rejuvenation at that point. He was coming off impressive KO wins over Tom Bethea and Doyle Baird, two fighters he had previously failed to beat, and it was the first time in a while that he appeared to be free from cuts and injuries. After that fight, he took a beating from Jose Chirino in what was supposed to be a "warm up" for a Monzon rematch. He went ahead with the rematch anyway, against the best wishes of those closest to him, and they threw the towel in ASAP to spare him from any extended punishment.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 05:21 AM   #27
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
I read the title and knew it was about Monzon

Aside from Louis I can't think of a fighter better fitting to this description.

A bunch of years ago everyone would've said Tyson.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:23 AM   #28
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Yep, I've always thought that as well. I think we really only got to see the best of Monzon for the first 2 or 3 years of his title reign, before the shooting incident. His performances in the rematches with Griffith/Bouttier do not compare to his first fights with them.

It goes to show how great Monzon was that getting ****ing SHOT three times doesn't even get mentioned much when looking at his career. Consider how many fighters (and their fans) use every stupid little bitch thing as an excuse for their losses.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #29
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
That punch ruined Benvenuti's chin, and his career along with it.

A lot of people don't remember, but Benvenuti was actually experiencing something of a career rejuvenation at that point. He was coming off impressive KO wins over Tom Bethea and Doyle Baird, two fighters he had previously failed to beat, and it was the first time in a while that he appeared to be free from cuts and injuries. After that fight, he took a beating from Jose Chirino in what was supposed to be a "warm up" for a Monzon rematch. He went ahead with the rematch anyway, against the best wishes of those closest to him, and they threw the towel in ASAP to spare him from any extended punishment.
A lot of people donīt remember Benvenuti at all. He was a terrific jmw up there with the best the division had to over in Hearns and McCallum and he was also a great mw, not quite up there with the very best but still in the Joey Giardello class I think.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 06:59 AM   #30
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Nino Benvenuti was a star..that's right, a STAR back in 4/67 when he came to America to upset Emile Griffith for the middleweight title..he gave boxing a shot in the arm during that period of Ali's exile andthough he was a bit erratic at times, he always had a loyal fan base that had confidence in him to rise to a new high after every low that came along. Like My2Sense said, Nino was on an apparent upswing in his career, beginning, I think with that spectacular 1 punch/come from behind ko of Luis Rodriguez, and the revenge ko's of Bethea and Baird. I though he was coming into his own as a fighter better than ever, and had discovered some real power..so when Monzon came along and killed off Nino in the fashion that he did I was quite surprised to tell you the truth...but I knew, as did what boxing fan friends that I had knew, that Nino wasn't going to come back in a rematch with this Monzon guy.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum