boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
USA_Pugilist
The Great White Hope
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it too late to start competing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingwizard View Post
I'm in your situation, except just a little bit shorter. There's no gyms in my area either, I say just move to a place where there are boxing gyms at when you get done with college. That's what I'm planning on doing I also played sports when younger, football and baseball for me. I do similar to what you're doing also, except I also do weights.
yeah i forget to mention i weight train also. kinda became a gym rat from playing american football and rugby
USA_Pugilist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 05:33 AM   #17
turpinr
Champion
East Side Guru

as rdj says ,you've got years to box,if you want.
i started at 19 and thought i was getting on a bit.
looking back now, any time in your 20s is ok,as long as you train hard.
the time to stop is when you're not enjoying it anymore.
so,enjoy
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #18
DeckO

Holy ****, it almost looks like I made this thread. I'm 21, I am 5'11 215, I go to college, I do weight training, I am looking to get into the sport too, and I'm looking for a gym as well. Good luck!
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 AM   #19
BlackWater
G.Wash.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2092

The best time to plant seeds was one year ago, the next best time is now.
BlackWater is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
Gwam

Default Want to start Boxing

Hey guys i want to start boxing, the problem is i just turned 26 years old.

I'm abit nervous about it, i'm a shy guy have trouble making friends etc so it's hard for me to stick with sports.

My main worry is, i think the trainers will see me as wasting their time. See i once went to boxing when i was even just 19-20 and was consistantly going for 2 months and no one ever give me any advice. I even asked the trainer to work on the pads he said wait another month. I got annoyed and stopped going. But i wish i had of just stuck with it then but what can you do.

At 26 this will be even worse. I can understand the trainers wanting to work on their promising youngsters i have no problem with that. But i would like to get atleast a few tips and maybe some way along the line get an amatuer fight.

I mentioned to my Dad about going and he basically said. Your too old they only want to find the next Barry Mcguigan (lol). This has got me second guessing. I have the image of me being a loner in a gym full of 12 year olds lol.

Anyone got any advice i'm i just being a ***** or is my dad right and i should just leave it?
Gwam is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #21
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: Want to start Boxing

You are NOT to old, I had my first amateur match last April, at 32 years of age. Just go to the gym and stick with it. Look at other people, try to listen as much as you can and talk as little as you can. Ask questions to the trainers, then try to implement their advice as good as you can. If it gets tough, suck it up and continue. When they see you're committed they will start giving you attention.

You are only a ***** if you quit, and your dad is wrong
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #22
turpinr
Champion
East Side Guru

how many have you had now,RDJ
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
how many have you had now,RDJ
Got injured two weeks after my first match (ankle)

Next one is in about two weeks
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #24
turpinr
Champion
East Side Guru

ok RDJ good luck.it wasn't your ankle ligaments was it ??
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Yes actually it was. It's still not what it was before I injured it. Sometimes it hurts when I train a lot.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #26
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwam View Post
Hey guys i want to start boxing, the problem is i just turned 26 years old.
Nate Campbell didn't put on a pair of gloves until he was about 24, and didn't turn pro until he was 28, and now look at him. Former undisputed world lightweight champion. You are never too old.

I'm abit nervous about it, i'm a shy guy have trouble making friends etc so it's hard for me to stick with sports.

Quote:
My main worry is, i think the trainers will see me as wasting their time. See i once went to boxing when i was even just 19-20 and was consistantly going for 2 months and no one ever give me any advice. I even asked the trainer to work on the pads he said wait another month. I got annoyed and stopped going. But i wish i had of just stuck with it then but what can you do.
Trainers always do this; ignore you the first few weeks or so. It's a test of your commitment. They don't want to abandon working with a guy who has been there for maybe years, to go and work with somebody who might not turn up next week. They want to see that you are going to turn up consistently. The trainer will notice that you keep turning up, don't worry. Just stick at it and soon he'll get you involved and work with you.

Quote:
At 26 this will be even worse. I can understand the trainers wanting to work on their promising youngsters i have no problem with that. But i would like to get atleast a few tips and maybe some way along the line get an amatuer fight.
As above. Keep turning up and working on the heavy bags, double end bag or whatever and he'll eventually see your level of commitment and get you involved.

Quote:
I mentioned to my Dad about going and he basically said. Your too old they only want to find the next Barry Mcguigan (lol). This has got me second guessing. I have the image of me being a loner in a gym full of 12 year olds lol.

Anyone got any advice i'm i just being a ***** or is my dad right and i should just leave it?
Not true. Not trying to say your dad is talking a load of ****e, but, well, honestly, he is lol. Don't listen to him, if it's something you want to do, go ahead and do it. Otherwise you'll regret it.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #27
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Cant really add more than the above. Except maybe think of doing it for you no one else. just do it for your enjoyment and the rest will fall into place. Goodluck and have fun!!!!!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
Gwam

Thanks for the great advice guys! It helped get my ass to the gym today

Although last time i trained it started at 7:30 but now it's 6:30.....So i didnt actually do any training lol. I talked to the trainers and they where happy, the more the merrier they said. Watched a few rounds of bags, seems more hands on now with the trainer instructing everyone. Also **** load of girls there now, it's crazy theres more girls than boys! Never thought that would happen lol.

My dad is still being a **** about it lol. he said "Did they not ask what are you doing here?" But i think he just doesnt want me getting beat up :P

Honestly being a boxing has always been a dream of mine since i watched it from a young age. I know it's probably too late now to go pro, but i dont think i could live with myself if i didnt give it my all....I would always regret it. I'm gonna make a training log soon. Thanks again!
Gwam is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
My dad is still being a **** about it lol. he said "Did they not ask what are you doing here?" But i think he just doesnt want me getting beat up :P
The answer is simple: enjoying the 9 years (nine years!!!!) you have left as an amateur.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #30
MikeBrown30

Quote:
My main worry is, i think the trainers will see me as wasting their time. See i once went to boxing when i was even just 19-20 and was consistantly going for 2 months and no one ever give me any advice. I even asked the trainer to work on the pads he said wait another month. I got annoyed and stopped going.

- After 2 months of training, you aren't going to become another Ali or Joe Frazier. You should have kept going, so the trainers knew you were serious about it.

- In regards to your dad, don't let him get to you. The only person that can limit the things you can achieve in this world is you.
MikeBrown30 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing