Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 AM   #31
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Want to start Boxing

Your dad seems pretty negative to the idea of you boxing. I would like to wish you the best of luck and realistically say take it and run with it because theres still a lot of time and hard work to go to achieve your dream.

but don't forget to listen to those around you from time to time. Don't just listen to what you want to hear. this goes for inside the gym aswell.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #32
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Yes actually it was. It's still not what it was before I injured it. Sometimes it hurts when I train a lot.
mmmmm i hurt mine in 2000 after i went over the bars of my motor bike.
i asked the doctor when i would be able to start running again and after he'd asked why i wanted to run !!!?? and i said i liked running.
he said 4-6 months,and he was right.i still get gyp in my ligaments,but then again i get gyp in my knees and hips too.

what has your doctor/physio said ??
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2009, 03:38 AM   #33
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
what has your doctor/physio said ??
What he always says no matter what injury, rest for two months. My doctor is a joke.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2009, 03:54 AM   #34
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What he always says no matter what injury, rest for two months. My doctor is a joke.
i thought mine was a joke when he asked me why i ran.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #35
PuertoRicanB4L

vCash: 500
Question Am I to Old

Hello I used to box when I was 16 years old. I am currently 19 years old and its been like 2 years since I boxed. I used to be very good footwork,speed,power,chin, heart ect..I decided to join the USMC but I whant to get back into it and I am 19 am I to old to get back into it and do it as a career
PuertoRicanB4L is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #36
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Am I to Old

**** no, you're young.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #37
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Too old at 19 years old? If you're in good shape, you'll probably be back where you left off. You just need to make up for the lost time.

As far as doing it as a profession, that's depends on how fast you learn, how hard you train, and how good you are against the competition.

Also, being good at it is not enough sometimes. I've heard of a few guys who are 5-0 to 10-0 who can't find fights. Too many people trying to pad their records, and not enough willing to risk their "0" loss. Freakin too many people pulling a Mayweather.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #38
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibit View Post
Also, being good at it is not enough sometimes. I've heard of a few guys who are 5-0 to 10-0 who can't find fights. Too many people trying to pad their records, and not enough willing to risk their "0" loss. Freakin too many people pulling a Mayweather.
I'm assuming he'll be fighting amateur first, you can't duck people in the AM's.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #39
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Too old. Pick up Bridge or Backgammon.
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #40
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I'm assuming he'll be fighting amateur first, you can't duck people in the AM's.
I forgot to mention that if you make a name for yourself in the amateurs, you'll likely not have to find people to fight once you turn pro. People will want to fight you.

So if you bring the Gold medal from the Olympics, you're good to go!

But seriously, see how you do in amateur fights before considering making a career out of it. It's a tough business.

I guess you could also make a career out of being cannon fodder. There are some guys who get beat up on weekends just to put food on the table. Check out those guys with lots of losses in their records. It's a tough way to make a living!
vibit is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #41
PuertoRicanB4L

I would not waste my time being a cannon fodder. I am a fast learner I actually fought my 1st amature fight 3 months in and won. I am a very physical person I joined the Corps for a challenge and I feel like boxing is a lot more of a challenge now that I am in but this has build my character and disipline.I mean I love to do it its fun Boxing I mean and i joined to be in USMC boxing team but they had other plans for me. I am looking for a trainer around me and the nearest is 60 miles away its a commitment when the nearest gym is 60 miles away
Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #42
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

60 effin miles away! Where do you live? In the middle of some Arizona desert perhaps? Or New Mexico?

That's some distance considering they usually have plenty of boxing gyms in major cities.

Also try competing in tournaments and see how well you do.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #43
PuertoRicanB4L

I am in a placed called HELL 3500 above sea level lol TwentyNine Palms , Ca I used to live in orlando , Fl when I boxed.I did a couple amatures but not a tournament. My trainer loved me but I just let it go for the military call me stupid lol anyways yea man ppl tell me 19 is yound and other say nah to late so thats why i posted this
Old 12-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #44
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuertoRicanB4L View Post
Hello I used to box when I was 16 years old. I am currently 19 years old and its been like 2 years since I boxed. I used to be very good footwork,speed,power,chin, heart ect..I decided to join the USMC but I want to get back into it and I am 19 am I to old to get back into it and do it as a career
Not too long ago I was asking myself just this. I'm 21 right now, but I used to box when I was 14. To make a long story short I guess I just never really wanted to become a boxer bad enough to give it another shot when I was 19 (just a coincidence with the age). I say you're still young and if you're serious about it than just go for it.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #45
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Certainly not too late. Surely you would atleast have a clue about this.
thejokerswild is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing