Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250
Default Wow...this is embarrassing.

Good thing I have no shame.

Besides, the internet is anonymous. Even though several of you, if you've been paying attention, know my full name, address, and what I look like in a dress.

Anyway - the NP who finally treated my severely worsening two-week-old shoulder pain today diagnosed strained ("probably not torn" - is "probably" really appropriate medical terminology? ) rotator cuff, and bursitis.

She said since there was no direct catalyst to my recollection, it was most likely an accumulative injury. She asked what my most frequent physical activities are ie at the gym (after ruling out work, what with my deskjob). Cardio, my weekly abdominals bootcamp, shadowboxing, and weights...nothing too high-impact or strenuous.

"What is...shadowboxing?"

Well, it's exactly what it sounds like...are you going to make me show you?

Yes. Yes she did. And ****ed her eyebrow at me. Humiliating.

"Mm-hmm...okay...and what do you do with weights?"

Mostly just curls...

After giving me a painkiller Rx and PT referral, she goes "Also, maybe they can show you some proper alignment techniques. It could be, if this was caused in part by the weights, that you're not using them properly. Just throwing that out there."

This is a 110lb woman essentially telling me I don't know how to handle a dumbbell (or, in short, calling me one)!

Then, salt on the wound, she says "until you're underway with the rehab, avoid any lifting on that side like groceries or freeweights...and none of this stuff (she then pantomimes the jab/cross I had shown her earlier)".

In an attempt to narrow down where my ****-up may have occurred (perfectly willing to accept that there was a ****-up, just don't need to hear it from a judgmental little tart!) - have you guys heard of rotator cuff strains and/or bursitis being caused by doing simple bicep curls? Or by shadowboxing?

And if so, what are some "Don'ts" for my dumb ass to avoid in the future, once I'm allowed to return to the gym...in 2010 ...?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347
Default Re: Wow...this is embarrassing.

Lol xD, your doctor is an ass
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
aj415
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Good thing I have no shame.

Besides, the internet is anonymous. Even though several of you, if you've been paying attention, know my full name, address, and what I look like in a dress.

Anyway - the NP who finally treated my severely worsening two-week-old shoulder pain today diagnosed strained ("probably not torn" - is "probably" really appropriate medical terminology? ) rotator cuff, and bursitis.

She said since there was no direct catalyst to my recollection, it was most likely an accumulative injury. She asked what my most frequent physical activities are ie at the gym (after ruling out work, what with my deskjob). Cardio, my weekly abdominals bootcamp, shadowboxing, and weights...nothing too high-impact or strenuous.

"What is...shadowboxing?"

Well, it's exactly what it sounds like...are you going to make me show you?

Yes. Yes she did. And ****ed her eyebrow at me. Humiliating.

"Mm-hmm...okay...and what do you do with weights?"

Mostly just curls...

After giving me a painkiller Rx and PT referral, she goes "Also, maybe they can show you some proper alignment techniques. It could be, if this was caused in part by the weights, that you're not using them properly. Just throwing that out there."

This is a 110lb woman essentially telling me I don't know how to handle a dumbbell (or, in short, calling me one)!

Then, salt on the wound, she says "until you're underway with the rehab, avoid any lifting on that side like groceries or freeweights...and none of this stuff (she then pantomimes the jab/cross I had shown her earlier)".

In an attempt to narrow down where my ****-up may have occurred (perfectly willing to accept that there was a ****-up, just don't need to hear it from a judgmental little tart!) - have you guys heard of rotator cuff strains and/or bursitis being caused by doing simple bicep curls? Or by shadowboxing?

And if so, what are some "Don'ts" for my dumb ass to avoid in the future, once I'm allowed to return to the gym...in 2010 ...?
Lol, gotta learn how to dish it back dude!
aj415 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

what's the point of just doing curls? That could well be the reason for your injury.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
what's the point of just doing curls? That could well be the reason for your injury.
Would love to say lack of time, but ultimately the time could probably be made. Laziness, I guess?

What should they be complemented with to avoid injury?

I thought my form was correct...been years since seeing a trainer though. I don't rock my back, hips or pelvis. I don't fall short of full range of motion nor hyperextend. Just do a lot of sets of usually 10 reps. Like half an hour's worth. Is that dumb?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
taj-09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1590

bicep curls is the wrong exercise for boxing mate. It shortens your arms. You want your bicep to be long, doing curls will shorten the muscle and that could cause the problem, im no doctor though. Your better of building your tricep, will increase your punching power.
If you are strapped for time do push ups and chin ups, they are better for boxing and dont take long.
I know of boxers with shoulder injuries from training to hard, my shoulder also plays up sometimes, nothing serious though. Anyting could have caused your injury. Bit im guessing if you have a office job and the only physical exercise you do is weihts and bosing im tipping they might be the cause. Get your technique correct and keep training mate. Technique is important in weight lifting.
taj-09 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

why do mostly bicep curls? you have to try and balance it out. if you have time to work-out for 30 minutes, you should be able to do a lower-body exercise like squats and two upper-body exercises like bench press and bentover rows within the same amount of time.

Also stick with compound exercises, isolation movements like curls aren't functional anyway.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Here's a simple workout for you:

Monday - Workout A;
Wednesday - Workout B;
Friday - Workout C.

Workout A:
- Squats
- Pushups
- Bentover Rows

Workout B:
- Romanian Deadlifts
- Standing Military Press
- Chin-ups

Workout C:
- Lunges
- Bench Press
- Lat pulldowns

It's works if you're pressed for time. Just 3 exercises and you're done before you know it, and combined, they cover all the major muscle groups: glutes, quads, hamstrings, chest, back, tricep, and biceps.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Oh yea, have you considered if you're overtraining? Maybe that's how you got injured.

You have to combine training with a proper diet and enough rest.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Ahhh ****ing Rotator Cuff injuries..

Theyre due to lacking technique and maintenance. Much like your back and your knees etc- it's something you must always pay to while training especially due to the mechanical nature of boxing it happens from time to time. Sporting careers have ended from torn rotator cuffs.

Basically a couple sessions at a massage therapist/physio will set you straight before training again. You must experience the way they massage under your scapula, it's ****ing sickening, they open your shoulder blades like a clam and rub underneath. I didn't know such movements existed. I will ask my friend who's a massage therapist studying to be a physio tomorrow.

If you wanted to do some googling, these injuries are common in quarterbacks, Baseballers and tennis players. Maybe swimmers when I think about it.

Also it's hard to give tips without seeing you train so I advise you meet up with a trainer to evaluate your techniques. A permenant Rotator Cuff injury is something you really want to avoid. Don't over extend your punches.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
cjgloves
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: Do you wanna know the truth? You can't handle the truth!
vCash: 223

Does it click when you move it?

My right shoulder has started clicking when I rotate/move it and I'm just wondering what it is if anybody has any ideas.
cjgloves is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #12
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgloves View Post
Does it click when you move it?

My right shoulder has started clicking when I rotate/move it and I'm just wondering what it is if anybody has any ideas.
Yep! Clicking when fully extended over my head (or past it when lying down). Pretty much whenever the rotator cuff is used. No pain or clicking if the arm is swiveled along the other axis (so that the elbow and fist swing side to side).
Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

As for why only curls...a combination of laziness and vanity. I don't pretend to be a gymrat, nor would you really call my routine a "boxing workout" - the shadowboxing is just to keep coordinated, really. The biceps are the only muscle that shows (at least when your wardrobe includes a lot of shortsleeves, some of them no longer a perfect fit ) so my reasoning is "Well if there's anything to work on with limited time..."

Once this rehab's done with, that A/B/C looks like something to try, thanks. Three days a week is more than doable. Time to get more serious. Especially since I really want to sign back up at a boxing gym next year and give it another go...thinking of getting into competition this time.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #14
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Great story.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #15
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

join a boxing gym man
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top