Kostya decision 36 26.87%
Kostya stoppage 35 26.12%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default DLH vs. Kostya Tzsyu @ 140 peak to peak.

What do you have?

In fact, post your analysis if you'd like regardless of which fighter you are going for here or if you think it's even'd up, all are welcomed and would be appreciated.

Amsterdam is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Default Re: DLH vs. Kostya Tzsyu @ 140 peak to peak.

Hard fight to predict. Both were killers, but I voted Kostya, because his accuracy was out of this world, imho.

edit: analysis: DLH had great handspeed, was good overall at range and inclose. Relative good power, great range of punches.

Kostya had a very good chin, as I said incredible accuracy, good jab, and good movement.

Kostya by toughness, but it would be close I think.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Kostya takes the decision!! He had slightly better skills IMO and the only guy's he had problems with were inside bangers. Thats not DLH!!

I see KT squeaking it out in what would be a great fight.

Sorry, a little too tired right now for in depth analysis.
C Money is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist
Hard fight to predict. Both were killers, but I voted Kostya, because his accuracy was out of this world, imho.

edit: analysis: DLH had great handspeed, was good overall at range and inclose. Relative good power, great range of punches.

Kostya had a very good chin, as I said incredible accuracy, good jab, and good movement.

Kostya by toughness, but it would be close I think.
I'm thinking it would be a very close decision, DLH presenting the higher workrate early on and Kostya sweeping rounds by landing the well timed right handed bombs, some that would stun DLH, but not be enough to put away a guy with his level of chin.

Then I'd see Kostya controlling late with the timed right hands and ring generalship, but because of the earlier part and DLH's flurries, the decision would go either way and would be very controversial depending on whether you liked the workrate or the more effective shots.

However, I'm selecting an all time favourite here to get the decision. This would have been a great fight.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Money
Kostya takes the decision!! He had slightly better skills IMO and the only guy's he had problems with were inside bangers. Thats not DLH!!

I see KT squeaking it out in what would be a great fight.

Sorry, a little too tired right now for in depth analysis.
Yes, DLH being a technical boxer-puncher matches up for a competitive fight vs. Kostya, Kostya could not deal well with swarmers of any degree due to swarmers doing extremely well against most Soviet boxer-puncher styles.

Kostya would be landing bombs, as his timing was some of the best ever, but DLH would be scoring with those ineffective flurries also. I also think Kostya would be controlling the pace down the stretch.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
errsta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 181

Hard to say. You know what you're getting with Tszyu, so it depends how Oscar approaches the fight. At 130-135, DLH was a more of a puncher. 147-160 he was more of a boxer. At 140, he was pretty balanced.

If he fought the same way he beat MAGo (Miguel Angel Gonzalez) I think he takes Tszyu. He would have to mix it up, though. If he primarily boxes, he gets timed. If he primarily punches, I'm not sure Oscar lands the heavier shots, although he very well could.

I'm picking Oscar, but it's far from a sure thing either way.
errsta is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
I'm thinking it would be a very close decision, DLH presenting the higher workrate early on and Kostya sweeping rounds by landing the well timed right handed bombs, some that would stun DLH, but not be enough to put away a guy with his level of chin.

Then I'd see Kostya controlling late with the timed right hands and ring generalship, but because of the earlier part and DLH's flurries, the decision would go either way and would be very controversial depending on whether you liked the workrate or the more effective shots.

However, I'm selecting an all time favourite here to get the decision. This would have been a great fight.
- a great matchup and good analysis - I wonder why no one has come up with this(unless I have missed one as such).
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Even money fight IMO.

I saw Johnny Lewis (KT's trainer) before the Floyd fight saying why he thought FLoyd would win.

He said he'd watched him a lot because of KT obviously, but in a nutshell, ODLH was a very good boxer, but had power in 1 hand only, and tended to fade late in big fights.

He said look for the left, and keep ODLH fighting for 3 minutes a round, and the late rounds are there to be taken. I think the analysis above is spot on. KT would take most of the late rounds, so really, the question is, how many of the early / mid rounds would go to ODLH or KT.

this fight IMO, is one in the hands of the judges. This could be a wide UD either way, or a SD, depending on what the judge prefers.

Don't really see a KO either way here to be honest. KT has the better chance, but ODLH has a good chin.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

DLH too big too strong. i think style wise dlh is a bad math up for kosta. dlh has the speed and power . also has a pretty solid chin. over all just a better fighter i say dlh stops him in 10 left hook vs the straight right . i say the reackh is a big factor
tays001 is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

De La Hoya on points.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Id go with kotzya..A little more pop and Im going with history.. I love DLH but when was the last time he came out on top in fights such as this.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #12
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
He beat fighters on that level, and honestly, when did Kostya ever beat someone like DLH?
I dont know what Kostya would have done but we all know DLH history right? I like DLH and actually if it werent for ESB posters constantly pointing it out I wouldnt have realized that he lost every big fight he was in. I believe he won the Tito fight but He lost to Sturm
chimba is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

As much as a love KT and am indifferent to DLH, I just cant see Kostya taking this one out.

KT has had real problems with guys who possess certain attributes of De La Hoya. Pineda, Hurtado, Urkal had his height..Phillips had his power and probably his chin aswell..Take all the moments Kostya struggled with Judah and Mitchell's speed, and place a guy who can take a shot in there.
Put all those together with experience, and you've got De La Hoya at 140.

One thing though is that De La Hoya did not possess the styles of Phillips, Hatton or Urkal that KT had so much trouble with. KT could hunt down movers.

I think Oscar would win this by decision however, I think both fade late but De La Hoya would have built up a big lead and Kostya would be unable to wrestle the fight away from him once he was tired.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #14
41fever
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i think the russian aussie takes a decision, @140 in his prime he was hard to beat, he could deal with DLH superior height...he beat Forrest in the Olympics
41fever is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #15
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
He beat fighters on that level, and honestly, when did Kostya ever beat someone like DLH?
very true i love both fighter big fan of both but i got to go with the one thats proven him slf more plus DLH just gots the size and sped atvantage KT would be punching upwards not straight down the pipe. DLH would see it coming dlh fights tall in this fight and get the win
tays001 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum