Kostya decision 36 26.87%
Kostya stoppage 35 26.12%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #16
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: DLH vs. Kostya Tzsyu @ 140 peak to peak.

Wow, you guys really hate on Oscar "i was a complete beast @ 140 and Tzysu had the perfect style for me to knock out" De La Hoya!!!!

Im sorry Tzysu has my respect but prime DLH kills him, Tzysu would have tried to fight DLH flat footed and DLH would have just eaten him up.... Tzysu had power but nothing that would have hurt DLH, he had accuracy but at 140 DLH was very fast and strong, and if Kostya was depending on that DLH would have knocked him out no question.
Jose FM is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #17
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose FM

Wow, you guys really hate on Oscar "i was a complete beast @ 140 and Tzysu had the perfect style for me to knock out" De La Hoya!!!!

Im sorry Tzysu has my respect but prime DLH kills him, Tzysu would have tried to fight DLH flat footed and DLH would have just eaten him up.... Tzysu had power but nothing that would have hurt DLH, he had accuracy but at 140 DLH was very fast and strong, and if Kosta was depending on that DLH would have knocked him out no question.
If Tszyu lands that right hand flush, and it's not out of the question due to his great timing, anybody could be hurt....De La Hoya included.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #18
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
If Tszyu lands that right hand flush, and it's not out of the question due to his great timing, anybody could be hurt....De La Hoya included.
Oscar was always wide open to be hit with right hand too, as he leans his head forwards when he jabs. Kostya would have gone right hand happy in this one, and tagged Oscar a lot with it. Bot have their respective strengths. Kostya, like most European fighters, isn't as effective when guys don't give him room for his power. De la hoya would win the exchanges on the inside with his superior combinations. However, Oscar is often not effective with his pressure. He isn't like Hatton who gets right in on your chest, and often times sits back at jabbing range, waiting to come in behind his punches. This would suit Kostya perfectly, and I see him just being to accurate for Oscar. Oscar had a very good chin at 140 though, and would be tough to hurt. I can see this being an exciting war, and a fairly close fight. The fact that Kostya had one of the best fight hands we have seen in the past decade though, and that De la hoya was always open to this punch means I have to go with Kostya on this one.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #19
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

DLH by late TKO. Oscar's jab, footwork, and workrate get him out of early trouble.

And Oscar's left hook is very powerful.
compukiller is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #20
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

I'd lean towards Oscar.

It would by no means be an easy fight for Oscar. Tszyu was an intelligent fighter with a good sense of distance and timing. He used to have pretty good handspeed as well. He was good at timing quick fighters, especially lefties, which Oscar is not (or doesn't fight southpaw stance). His straight right hand was great, and that punch more than any other is the one Oscar's most suspectible to.

Tszyu didn't have very good head movement. He had decent defensive skills, but would still be a target for Oscar's great left hand. DLH is also quicker of hand and foot. I think DLH's jab would be very key, and be the main weapon in winning a close decision.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #21
standing 8
Contender
ESB Senior Member

De La Hoya by decision.
standing 8 is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #22
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Wow, honestly wasn't expecting Kostya to be in the lead. I got DLH by stoppage, but more likely a Decision now that I think about it.
Its a tough fight to call. Oscar had pretty quick hand speed at 140, quicker then KT anyway. Most times Oscar could be pretty flat footed though (bar the Trinidad fight) and this would allow Kostya to really time him well and play into his hands. Oscar would most probably take the earlier rounds, but I can see Kostya landing more and more as the bout goes on, and his power starting to take his toll. Regardless of how good your chin is, getting hit with that sort of power will still wear you down.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #23
Svengali
Life. ***. Death.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

ODLH.

Not even close.
Svengali is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #24
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Whats the counter to a straight right?

A left hook... Who had the best left hook at 140 if not the entire biz during lets say '98?

DLH, specially at that weight class where DLH had speed?

Besides, DLH has an underrated defense, head movement, and specially chin. So the chances of landing flush are too freakish to actually happen.
Jose FM is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #25
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
As much as a love KT and am indifferent to DLH, I just cant see Kostya taking this one out.

KT has had real problems with guys who possess certain attributes of De La Hoya. Pineda, Hurtado, Urkal had his height..Phillips had his power and probably his chin aswell..Take all the moments Kostya struggled with Judah and Mitchell's speed, and place a guy who can take a shot in there.
Put all those together with experience, and you've got De La Hoya at 140.

One thing though is that De La Hoya did not possess the styles of Phillips, Hatton or Urkal that KT had so much trouble with. KT could hunt down movers.

I think Oscar would win this by decision however, I think both fade late but De La Hoya would have built up a big lead and Kostya would be unable to wrestle the fight away from him once he was tired.
Kostya never struggled with Hurtardo for one. He got wreckless, before going on to dominate him and finish him early. Urkal was more because he was so physically strong, same with Phillips. Kostya had problems against these guys because he wouldn't fight smart and out box them and counter punch, but would rather try to out muscle them. Kostya was stronger then Oscar, and it wouldn't have been a problem. Oscar isn't a fighter in the same mould as these guys either.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #26
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose FM
Whats the counter to a straight right?

A left hook... Who had the best left hook at 140 if not the entire biz during lets say '98?

DLH, specially at that weight class where DLH had speed?

Besides, DLH has an underrated defense, head movement, and specially chin. So the chances of landing flush are too freakish to actually happen.
And who had the best straight right in the business?

I think that anyone, EITHER WAY, that can state either guy would win easy is quite simply, an idiot. Blind to the abilities of either fighter.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #27
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This is a pick'em fight.

Oscar was just a tad more polished. Either guy has KO possibility, Kostya moreso.

If it ended inside the distance, It would probably have been a victory for Kostya. I tend to think it would have gone the distance with Oscar getting a very close and controversial decision.
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #28
Napoleon
Smokin'
ESB Senior Member

Amersterdam, that is a terrific avatar.

Tszyu by stoppage.
Napoleon is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #29
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'd say Tszyu was more flat-footed for sure than Oscar. Oscar had very little head movement, so it was really his footwork that did him well in the defensive department. Also, Oscar's reach and jab could be a problem at long distance for Kostya. In the early rounds Kostya was one who liked to blast, but I think DLH's footwork, which I think you're selling short, and ability to keep the fight at a distance, as well as his own power, would do him well in keeping it on even terms early and I think he'd pick up and gain the advantage around mid fight. Also, his chin is better proven than Kostya's.
IMO both guys are flat footed and both have good chins. Oscar could move, as could Kostya, but both where more effective when they really sat down on their punches. Oscar would be the better mover IMO, but not enough to trouble KT at all. I think that Oscar would probably plant the feet and look to throw combinations inside and land that left hook. Both guys would be looking to time each other.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #30
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

Quote:
I'd say Tszyu was more flat-footed for sure than Oscar. Oscar had very little head movement, so it was really his footwork that did him well in the defensive department. Also, Oscar's reach and jab could be a problem at long distance for Kostya. In the early rounds Kostya was one who liked to blast, but I think DLH's footwork, which I think you're selling short, and ability to keep the fight at a distance, as well as his own power, would do him well in keeping it on even terms early and I think he'd pick up and gain the advantage around mid fight. Also, his chin is better proven than Kostya's.

right on the mark sweet pea
tays001 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum