Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Question for scottish posters, & NO ONE else, regarding Ricky Hatton.

& I mean that. English Hatton fans, do me a favour & try to keep out of this one.

Right. On to my point. Now I notice I seem to have been the only scotsman who has never wanted Ricky Hatton to win here, for reasons I have went over a thousand times on ESB over the years.

So this is my question to my fellow scots, why do you like Hatton so much, why do you want to see him do so well, & what do you feel you get out of a Hatton victory as a scottish person?

Now this isnt a loaded question, I just want some honest answers, & I will respect any answers I receive on the subject, from SCOTTISH Hatton fans.

As I say englanders, do your best to try & keep out of this fact finding survey of mine for now. Thanks
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Question for scottish posters, & NO ONE else, regarding Ricky Hatton.

I've always liked Hatton, he seems a nice fella etc but I was getting more and more pissed off back when we kept being promised big fights and he was continuously fighting hand fed 'past it' or 'never had it' fighters for years.

The fight against Kostya Tszyu was a great win but I refuse to believe people when they tell me KT was in or around his prime coz thats just silly talk....he was an old man and has since retired.

I must admit that every fighter has a certain amount of non-objective fans and Ricky is one of those fighters who have too many fans who refuse to believe anything other than he is the best (imo he hasnt proved he's the best here in the UK never mind the world ...Witter anyone? )

Anyhow, sometimes the constant bleating of these non objective fans gets very boring and tiresome and I have slowly found myself starting to hope that Ricky will get a fight with somebody who is in their prime and an elite fighter into the bargain to perhaps show these fans that he is not the invincible machine they seem to have deluded themselves into believing ......Well, here it is, Hatton v Floyd is the first time imo that Ricky will be properly tested and although I'd like to see him win I just dont see anyway its possible. Say what you want about PBF's stinking attitude etc but he's one of the finest boxers I have seen Past and present and I have been a fan of the sweet science for many a year.

Paul
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
victorhugo4222
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Question for scottish posters, & NO ONE else, regarding Ricky Hatton.

Hey Dunky as you know im 1st and foremost a fan of Scottish boxing but i like to see any british boxer albeit hatton or anyone else actually take the gamble and go across to the US and fight. Too many fighters like to stay in the comfort zone over here and fight hand picked fighters like calzaghe for eg. At least hatton has the balls to go and try build the profile of british boxing in the US were we always slagged off. So it that sense im a hatton fan but that and that only. If hatton loses and loses convincngly against PBF which i think he will then once again all we are going to hear from the US is that the best we have to offer??? As what happened when Naz got whooped big time after all the hype surrounding him.

On another note lets hope Guzman doesnt bottle out another fight against another Scotsman and AAA whips his ass and he can then say hes a REAL world champ who dethroned an ''elite'' fighter not like Rees, Big Mac and even to an extent calzaghe cause who has he ever really fought who has been regarded as a top fighter in there prime? Lacy was untested. Think ive been listening to you too much now dunky and im beginning to start to baffle on myself now!!!
victorhugo4222 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

I like Hatton because he's an aggressive, exciting fighter who doesn't have a big ego. Whether he's English or not isn't so important. Bruno, Lewis and Haye are all English, but are some of my favourite boxers. Robinson and Calzaghe are Welsh, but entertaining and pleasant enough for me to support/have supported them.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
So this is my question to my fellow scots, why do you like Hatton so much, why do you want to see him do so well, & what do you feel you get out of a Hatton victory as a scottish person?

Now this isnt a loaded question, I just want some honest answers, & I will respect any answers I receive on the subject, from SCOTTISH Hatton fans.

As I say englanders, do your best to try & keep out of this fact finding survey of mine for now. Thanks
Why waste time with a survey?

They relate to a fellow alcoholic, junk food eating waster.

The last rounds where supreme athlete Mayweather brutally clowns the ragged Hatton will be amusing.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
puremental2
Journeyman

i like hatton because he seems a good guy and not and not an arrogant prick.He's funny too

its not fair to dislike him just because he is english
puremental2 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
Jimbo
Super Sharp Shooter
ESB Full Member

Moved to the Scottish Forum
Jimbo is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
TAM83
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator
I've always liked Hatton, he seems a nice fella etc but I was getting more and more pissed off back when we kept being promised big fights and he was continuously fighting hand fed 'past it' or 'never had it' fighters for years.

The fight against Kostya Tszyu was a great win but I refuse to believe people when they tell me KT was in or around his prime coz thats just silly talk....he was an old man and has since retired.

I must admit that every fighter has a certain amount of non-objective fans and Ricky is one of those fighters who have too many fans who refuse to believe anything other than he is the best (imo he hasnt proved he's the best here in the UK never mind the world ...Witter anyone? )

Anyhow, sometimes the constant bleating of these non objective fans gets very boring and tiresome and I have slowly found myself starting to hope that Ricky will get a fight with somebody who is in their prime and an elite fighter into the bargain to perhaps show these fans that he is not the invincible machine they seem to have deluded themselves into believing ......Well, here it is, Hatton v Floyd is the first time imo that Ricky will be properly tested and although I'd like to see him win I just dont see anyway its possible. Say what you want about PBF's stinking attitude etc but he's one of the finest boxers I have seen Past and present and I have been a fan of the sweet science for many a year.

Paul

Properly tested? are you seriously having a laugh? Dunky I'm as Scottish as they come. Doesn't mean I'm blinded to the fact there are good fighters south of the border.

Bottom line is I find Ricky to be a funny, likeable boxer who wants to fight the best around (which is why he left ****** and is fighting the P4P champion in Mayweather ). Bring on Vegas
TAM83 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Because he's a good guy, a good fighter, & i want to see ANY fighter from these isles get one over the Yanks.
Smith is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

was William Wallace gay?

I have heard reports that he was
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM83
Properly tested? are you seriously having a laugh? Dunky I'm as Scottish as they come. Doesn't mean I'm blinded to the fact there are good fighters south of the border.

Bottom line is I find Ricky to be a funny, likeable boxer who wants to fight the best around (which is why he left ****** and is fighting the P4P champion in Mayweather ). Bring on Vegas
Of course im serious, unless you think a fight against a 35 year old Tszyu who had only fought a couple of rounds in 3 years or so is a proper test

Castillo was no test either. This is the first time he will need to show us what he can do against an elite fighter in their prime and I really hope he wins but he has no chance imo.
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
was William Wallace gay?

I have heard reports that he was
When you are as scary as William Wallace you can be anything you like.
AllyT is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #13
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I can't support England as team sports in this area they are the (Auld) enemy. I support any Scottish boxer pretty much come what may. But boxing is an individual sport and I will happily back a boxer from any counrtry if I like their style. Hatton impressess with his (underrated) skill, strength, and relentless pressing (I like pressure fighters). I also like the man, he makes me laugh, he does not take himself too seriously, and he comes accross as a 'good guy'.

For what it is worth he is 1/2 Scottish as both his mums parents were from Fife.
AllyT is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
moff123

I think you have to be child to dislike a boxer just because of where they come from, im English but will support all British boxers.
moff123 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

A Scot who doesn't like a Englishman is just a moron. We are all British. We can have some minor rivalry in house but not supporting Ricky is so stupid it hurts my heard.

Ricky represents Britain. Ricky is good for British boxing. Plus you Scots ain't getting many Buchanans so enjoy the rest of Britain.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum