Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 1000
Default Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

I understand that Taylor has fought the superior competition in his two fights with Bernard and his fight with Winky.

But Im looking back on his career and wondering if he has ever had to display the guts that Pavlik had to display against Miranda, and cant think of an occasion.

I think that Pavliks last fight being such a gut check actualy gives him a substantial advantage over Taylor. I think that if things get ugly with Taylor he will fall back on the experience and find a way to beat Taylor, who has squeaked out some close decisions as of late.

Pavlik in an upset.
acb is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
41fever
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: www.SFCboxingGYM.com
Posts: 3,418
vCash: 75
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

I think Pavlik has a very good chance, but i expect Jermain to really bring it
41fever is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,426
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Taylor was somewhat gutsy to take the first Hopkins fight. Then again, he had really nothing to lose.

Since then he has not done something gutsy really - maybe Hopkins II, considering how the first panned out, but I think he just thought about the money, really.

Miranda was hyped up to something he wasn't, but that wasn't Pavliks fault - he took a gutsy chance, in a fight with little reward vs risk - something that Taylor havent done in a loooooooong time.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Like you said, he's been tested against the better competition.

Winky Wright really put presure on him in their fight, cut off the ring at times and pounded away, but Taylor took it and fought his way to a draw. Granted Winky doesn't punch as hard as Miranda, nearly as hard for that matter, but he did bring the fight to Jermain during many parts of the fight.

Taylor has never been tested like Pavlik as far as facing a huge puncher. But the heat Miranda put on Pavlik wasn't as much as what Winky put on Jermain at times. Pavlik was imposing his own physical strength, backing Edison up and ultimately setting him up for the 7th round stoppage. Miranda never really put extreme heat on Pavlik like he did to many other of his opponents, but he did land some big right hands flush on Kelly's chin, so in that regard, I would say Pavlik's chin has been tested against the bigger power punchers.

So I think Taylor has been tested against the better competition, while Pavlik has been tested against a more powerful puncher (as I don't think Jermain has fought a real power-punching middleweight yet).

I expect Taylor to give it his all on Saturday night, however, I am sticking with Pavlik to take the title from the champ, and do so convincingly.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Kostya Zoo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hayeting
Posts: 902
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Like you said, he's been tested against the better competition.

Winky Wright really put presure on him in their fight, cut off the ring at times and pounded away, but Taylor took it and fought his way to a draw. Granted Winky doesn't punch as hard as Miranda, nearly as hard for that matter, but he did bring the fight to Jermain during many parts of the fight.

Taylor has never been tested like Pavlik as far as facing a huge puncher. But the heat Miranda put on Pavlik wasn't as much as what Winky put on Jermain at times. Pavlik was imposing his own physical strength, backing Edison up and ultimately setting him up for the 7th round stoppage. Miranda never really put extreme heat on Pavlik like he did to many other of his opponents, but he did land some big right hands flush on Kelly's chin, so in that regard, I would say Pavlik's chin has been tested against the bigger power punchers.

So I think Taylor has been tested against the better competition, while Pavlik has been tested against a more powerful puncher (as I don't think Jermain has fought a real power-punching middleweight yet).

I expect Taylor to give it his all on Saturday night, however, I am sticking with Pavlik to take the title from the champ, and do so convincingly.
that's a good post, I agree
Kostya Zoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wash-Heights, NYC
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Like you said, he's been tested against the better competition.

Winky Wright really put presure on him in their fight, cut off the ring at times and pounded away, but Taylor took it and fought his way to a draw. Granted Winky doesn't punch as hard as Miranda, nearly as hard for that matter, but he did bring the fight to Jermain during many parts of the fight.

Taylor has never been tested like Pavlik as far as facing a huge puncher. But the heat Miranda put on Pavlik wasn't as much as what Winky put on Jermain at times. Pavlik was imposing his own physical strength, backing Edison up and ultimately setting him up for the 7th round stoppage. Miranda never really put extreme heat on Pavlik like he did to many other of his opponents, but he did land some big right hands flush on Kelly's chin, so in that regard, I would say Pavlik's chin has been tested against the bigger power punchers.

So I think Taylor has been tested against the better competition, while Pavlik has been tested against a more powerful puncher (as I don't think Jermain has fought a real power-punching middleweight yet).

I expect Taylor to give it his all on Saturday night, however, I am sticking with Pavlik to take the title from the champ, and do so convincingly.
The difference between the Pavlik/Miranda & Taylor/Wright fights are that:
1. Pavliks plan was to back up Miranda, nobody thought he would and he did. Whereas Taylor was expected to fight toe to toe with Winky cause he was the bigger man, and keep his hands up cause Winky was a southpaw. So Pavlik executed his plan, Taylor didnt.
2. When you see the two fights you notice that when Miranda fights back and tries to back up Pavlik, Pavlik starts boxing and eventually puts his punches together to lead to a knock out. When Winky put the pressure on Taylor, Taylor backed up into the ropes. So again, Pavlik knew what to do in that situation.
3. While its true that Winky put more pressure on Taylor on Miranda on Pavlik, it was Taylors job to not allow that to happen. So how is Taylor supposed to fight Pavlik toe to toe, he cant be serious cause i just dont see that happening!
Pavlik 9th round KO.
Jose FM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 5,956
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose FM
The difference between the Pavlik/Miranda & Taylor/Wright fights are that:
1. Pavliks plan was to back up Miranda, nobody thought he would and he did. Whereas Taylor was expected to fight toe to toe with Winky cause he was the bigger man, and keep his hands up cause Winky was a southpaw. So Pavlik executed his plan, Taylor didnt.
2. When you see the two fights you notice that when Miranda fights back and tries to back up Pavlik, Pavlik starts boxing and eventually puts his punches together to lead to a knock out. When Winky put the pressure on Taylor, Taylor backed up into the ropes. So again, Pavlik knew what to do in that situation.
3. While its true that Winky put more pressure on Taylor on Miranda on Pavlik, it was Taylors job to not allow that to happen. So how is Taylor supposed to fight Pavlik toe to toe, he cant be serious cause i just dont see that happening!
Pavlik 9th round KO.
good post jose.

People talk about Taylors experience in big fights. What does that experience tell us? that taylor isn't able to do what he is supposed to? Maybe. and if so how much of an advantage is his big fight experience?
o_money is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PITTSBURG CA
Posts: 7,524
vCash: 75
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

i tell you this right no taylor won' ko pavlik. miranda landed some flush shot and pavlik took with a smile. if jermian beat pavlik it's on cut or sd. on the other hand the ? is can taylor take though flush shots from a big power hittimng MW?. we'll se on saturday im going for pavlik but not counting taylor out both men want to prove a point wichmeans we'll get a great fight
tays001 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,595
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

taylor did fight hopkins and winky, so yes he was tested.
bigeddie27 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muirthemne
Posts: 10,495
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_money
good post jose.

People talk about Taylors experience in big fights. What does that experience tell us? that taylor isn't able to do what he is supposed to? Maybe. and if so how much of an advantage is his big fight experience?
He's supposed to win.

And he HAS !
cuchulain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #11
teetop
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

This is a very good thread, and no he hasn't. Taylor has been tested in
terms of boxing smarts and style adjustment, and he has fared well. However, he has NEVER faced a big, physical, and brutal punching
guy who can take his best shots and will keep coming after him all night. Taylor will have to fight pavlik, and nobody knows if he can man up and with this monster.

I still like pavlik by KO in this fight.
teetop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Miranda was nothing but a good work out for PavliK.
rodney is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose FM
The difference between the Pavlik/Miranda & Taylor/Wright fights are that:
1. Pavliks plan was to back up Miranda, nobody thought he would and he did. Whereas Taylor was expected to fight toe to toe with Winky cause he was the bigger man, and keep his hands up cause Winky was a southpaw. So Pavlik executed his plan, Taylor didnt.
2. When you see the two fights you notice that when Miranda fights back and tries to back up Pavlik, Pavlik starts boxing and eventually puts his punches together to lead to a knock out. When Winky put the pressure on Taylor, Taylor backed up into the ropes. So again, Pavlik knew what to do in that situation.
3. While its true that Winky put more pressure on Taylor on Miranda on Pavlik, it was Taylors job to not allow that to happen. So how is Taylor supposed to fight Pavlik toe to toe, he cant be serious cause i just dont see that happening!
Pavlik 9th round KO.
Good points
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #14
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PITTSBURG CA
Posts: 7,524
vCash: 75
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetop
This is a very good thread, and no he hasn't. Taylor has been tested in
terms of boxing smarts and style adjustment, and he has fared well. However, he has NEVER faced a big, physical, and brutal punching
guy who can take his best shots and will keep coming after him all night. Taylor will have to fight pavlik, and nobody knows if he can man up and with this monster.

I still like pavlik by KO in this fight.
man right on with the post . i too got pavlik by ko around 9 or 10 but im not counting JT out pavlik aint got the best skin and sometimes speed kills
tays001 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #15
Motor City Sam
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Taylor fought Hopkins and Winky, two guys holding spots on the pound for pound list. I love Miranda, but even his fans know he is limited as a boxer, depending on his power to carry him through. In my opinion, Taylor has been tested more.

Of course, Miranda was more tested than Pavlik when they fought, so it might not matter once they step in the ring.
Motor City Sam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013