Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #16
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 5,956
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

They should change his name to kelly "THE BEAST" pavlik cause he's a ****ing beast!
















man we are all going to look like fools when taylor proves this guy to be a hype job.
o_money is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #17
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,313
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose FM
The difference between the Pavlik/Miranda & Taylor/Wright fights are that:
1. Pavliks plan was to back up Miranda, nobody thought he would and he did. Whereas Taylor was expected to fight toe to toe with Winky cause he was the bigger man, and keep his hands up cause Winky was a southpaw. So Pavlik executed his plan, Taylor didnt.
2. When you see the two fights you notice that when Miranda fights back and tries to back up Pavlik, Pavlik starts boxing and eventually puts his punches together to lead to a knock out. When Winky put the pressure on Taylor, Taylor backed up into the ropes. So again, Pavlik knew what to do in that situation.
3. While its true that Winky put more pressure on Taylor on Miranda on Pavlik, it was Taylors job to not allow that to happen. So how is Taylor supposed to fight Pavlik toe to toe, he cant be serious cause i just dont see that happening!
Pavlik 9th round KO.
Perfectly stated my man. I'm going Pavlik 10th round ko
cardstars is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #18
cdsimple
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 106
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose FM
3. While its true that Winky put more pressure on Taylor on Miranda on Pavlik, it was Taylors job to not allow that to happen. So how is Taylor supposed to fight Pavlik toe to toe, he cant be serious cause i just dont see that happening!
Pavlik 9th round KO.

Being a fighter myself, I can tell you Taylors thinking in the fight with wright. JT was thinking the only way to catch winky out of his guard was to catch him as he was on the offensive. He would immediately attempt to counter wrights shots with his own (sometimes he was successful, sometimes not). JT knew winky didnt have the power to hurt him, so he would just let wright tee off and then attempt to shoot more powerful shots that would look better to the judges. He even went as far as admitting this in the local paper.

I understand his strategy, I dont think it was the correct approach for him to beat winky, but I understand what he was attempting to do.

The key is that JT knew winky couldnt and wouldnt hurt him with his shots so there was no fear in putting that strategy in motion. With Pavlik, you better believe that JT knows he can and will be hurt if he becomes a sitting duck on the ropes waiting to counter. The difference is that Pavlik wont be nearly as hard to hit as winky, therefore JT wont have to attempt these tactics to connect. Thats why so many feel that Pavlik is tailor made for Taylor. Different fighter, different approach.
cdsimple is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 PM   #19
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,605
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Wait a second, you think Pavlik has been tested more than Taylor...? Not a chance in hell. This isn't even debatable, really.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #20
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wash-Heights, NYC
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsimple
Being a fighter myself, I can tell you Taylors thinking in the fight with wright. JT was thinking the only way to catch winky out of his guard was to catch him as he was on the offensive. He would immediately attempt to counter wrights shots with his own (sometimes he was successful, sometimes not). JT knew winky didnt have the power to hurt him, so he would just let wright tee off and then attempt to shoot more powerful shots that would look better to the judges. He even went as far as admitting this in the local paper.

I understand his strategy, I dont think it was the correct approach for him to beat winky, but I understand what he was attempting to do.

The key is that JT knew winky couldnt and wouldnt hurt him with his shots so there was no fear in putting that strategy in motion. With Pavlik, you better believe that JT knows he can and will be hurt if he becomes a sitting duck on the ropes waiting to counter. The difference is that Pavlik wont be nearly as hard to hit as winky, therefore JT wont have to attempt these tactics to connect. Thats why so many feel that Pavlik is tailor made for Taylor. Different fighter, different approach.
Ok, i see where you are coming from, but no offense, Jermain Taylor is the undisputed middleweight champion of the world and had Manny Stewart is his corner. So, he should be at a level that is beyond you or me or anyone else of his critics. If you look at that fight, Taylors best round and probably Winkys worst round ever was the 4th round when Jermain fought Winky in the middle of the ring and was using his power, throwinng vicious body and head shots, that was the clearest round for Taylor and he should of followed that game plan alll night, instead he kept dropping his hands, which were vulnable to Winkys jab (since winky is a southpaw), thats why Taylors eye was closed at the end of the fight, cause he didnt stick to the game plan, which one would need to beat an elite fighter like Winky.

Jermains gotta realize that hes made it is far on the fact that he has a gifted body and great hand speed for a middleweight, but in order to be elite and compete with other elite fighters you must be very disciplined and demostrate adaptability, instead Winky (being the smart fighter that he is) kept backing Jermain into the ropes and getting the best of him. And in IMO Winky won the fight.

If Taylor is an elite fighter then he must fight his fight, if he really is gonna fight toe to toe with Pavlik then hes not elite cause Pavlik will knock him out. My guess is that Taylor will fight Pavliks fight and will get knocked out.
Jose FM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 AM   #21
cdsimple
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 106
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose FM
Ok, i see where you are coming from, but no offense, Jermain Taylor is the undisputed middleweight champion of the world and had Manny Stewart is his corner. So, he should be at a level that is beyond you or me or anyone else of his critics. If you look at that fight, Taylors best round and probably Winkys worst round ever was the 4th round when Jermain fought Winky in the middle of the ring and was using his power, throwinng vicious body and head shots, that was the clearest round for Taylor and he should of followed that game plan alll night, instead he kept dropping his hands, which were vulnable to Winkys jab (since winky is a southpaw), thats why Taylors eye was closed at the end of the fight, cause he didnt stick to the game plan, which one would need to beat an elite fighter like Winky.

Jermains gotta realize that hes made it is far on the fact that he has a gifted body and great hand speed for a middleweight, but in order to be elite and compete with other elite fighters you must be very disciplined and demostrate adaptability, instead Winky (being the smart fighter that he is) kept backing Jermain into the ropes and getting the best of him. And in IMO Winky won the fight.

If Taylor is an elite fighter then he must fight his fight, if he really is gonna fight toe to toe with Pavlik then hes not elite cause Pavlik will knock him out. My guess is that Taylor will fight Pavliks fight and will get knocked out.
Totally agree with you about JT needing to stick to the game plan. If you check my last post, I mentioned that his personal strategy (not Manny's, cuz he didnt listen to Manny very often) wasnt the most effective to fight winky.

You are correct in you assessment of JT's athleticism, etc... but I disagree with you saying that he has made it on these physical attributes alone. Jermain has tremendous heart and determination. IMO, thats his best asset as a fighter. Dont believe me, check out Taylor/Hopkins I rounds 10 and 11.

With Pavlik, things will be clearer for JT how to win the fight, and it wont be sitting on the ropes. Pavlik is a very good, but basic fighter, there is nothing complicated at all about his style.
cdsimple is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 AM   #22
SAS2
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,088
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

taylor beat hopkins twice and themn winky. Taylor may not be an all timer, but he is going to hand pavlik his ass in a garbage bag. sorry pavlik nuthuggers.
SAS2 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 AM   #23
1lehudson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: boxaville
Posts: 6,399
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

what good is a 500 pound bomb if it lands 3,000 miles away from anything??? Miranda sucks, and would lose badly to four or five guys on Taylors resume. Pavlik is a good fighter, and he has a good shot at winning the fight come sat night, but for anyone to try and suggest that Pavlik has somehow faced something that Taylor hasnt or has proven something more is total bullshit. But hey if that is what some of you guys need to do to make yourself feel better about Kelly's shot at winning this fight then so be it.
1lehudson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #24
psychopath
D' "X" Factor
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In your . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WORST Nightmare
Posts: 13,225
vCash: 2065
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnoff
Wait a second, you think Pavlik has been tested more than Taylor...? Not a chance in hell. This isn't even debatable, really.
The thread means "in a slugfest" dude. AT least that's how I understand it.
psychopath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #25
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dei Gratie, Ergo Sum quod Sum
Posts: 6,287
vCash: 75
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Taylor was tested by top level 160-pounders and 154-pounders too and Pavlik was tested for sheer will and capacity of sacrifice, he went bold into the lion's den ( or the Pantera's den) and came out victorious, it's different... Hopkins got Taylor's head gashed and blood bursting out torrentialy through, had Jermain wobbling on the last coupla rounds and Taylor held on to the final bell and to his precious lead... Winky also had Taylor's eye swollen shut by the ninth ( after a first clash of heads between the southpaw and the orthodox fighter like also happened in Wright vs Hopkins to Winky's disadvantage) but it was Winky who avoided the fight in the 12th against Jermain... Taylor has been tested also yes.
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #26
brownshell
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 376
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Taylor was tested just by fighting the competiton he's already faced. Miranda is not in the same league as Hopkins or Wright. Taylor has never been rocked and had to show what kind of heart he has in that area, but maybe at this stage he's good enough to stay away from being rocked. Pavlik was tested because he fights a style that puts him in harms way. He's also not a good defensive fighter. Pavlik is not the fighter that's going to test Taylor. Taylor going to test Pavlik, if taylor takes this challenge seriously.
brownshell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #27
Snorkel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 340
vCash: 75
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Taylor's undoubtedly faced the better boxers and at the absolute worst has been competitive with them. Pavlik beat a weight drained Miranda. I'm not taking anything away from the guy, but Miranda himself was relatively unproven. Taylor meanwhile has fought two elite MW and one top LMW. No comparison here.

As far as punchers faced, Miranda was a big hitter but he barely landed anything of note in the entire fight. Taylor meanwhile has fought a great counterpuncher in Hopkins who, while not possessing brutal power, was still strong enough and good enough to destroy Tarver, dropping him in the process.

I'm still taking Taylor by decision.
Snorkel is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #28
swedeone
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS2
taylor beat hopkins twice and themn winky. Taylor may not be an all timer, but he is going to hand pavlik his ass in a garbage bag. sorry pavlik nuthuggers.


Let's seemyou show your face here Sunday morning. Something tells me you will be NO WHERE TO BE FOUND.

Pavlik will dominate, hurt and then STOP Taylor.
swedeone is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #29
Sug3
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 14587
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedeone
Let's seemyou show your face here Sunday morning. Something tells me you will be NO WHERE TO BE FOUND.

Pavlik will dominate, hurt and then STOP Taylor.
BY U SAYING PAVLIK WILL DOMINATE IS LIKE SAYING PAVLIK IS BETTER THAN WINKY AND B-HOP,TALOR WILL LAND AT WILL AGAINST PAVLIK AND PAVLIK WILL BE GASSED BY THE 7TH ROUND FROM TAKING ALOT OF PUNISHMENT ALONG WITH GETTING OUTCLASSED FROM TRYING TO LAND A BIG PUNCH.

MY ADVICE TO US WHO ARE ROOTING FOR TAYLOR,JUST WAIT TILL AFTER THE FIGHT IS OVER AND THEN COME IN HERE AND PICK ON THESE DUMB ASSES WHO THINK THIS GREAT WHITE HYPE WILL WIN,BUT IN THE MEANTIME DONT BOTHER POSTING OR STARTING A THREAD,LET THEM FEEL THE ANXIETY,BECAUSE A TRUE BOXING FAN KNOWS PAVLIK IS GONNA GET OUTCLASSED.

I'M DONE POSTING ABOUT THIS FIGHT.
Sug3 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #30
nervousxtian
Trolljegeren
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northwest
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 75
Default Re: Has Jermain Taylor Been Tested as Pavlik Was Tested Against Miranda?

I love how we make excuses for Miranda, that he was weight drained... haha.. truth is he lost to Abraham, was almost KO'd by Eastman, was down against Green, and KO'd by Pavlik.

Maybe it's that Miranda was a hype job who was never as good as everyone wanted him to be.
nervousxtian is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013