Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Edwin Rosario?

I've decided to take a look at former WBA Lightweight champion of the world, Edwin Rosario. I just saw his one punch knockout of respected Edwin Viruet, and his 2 round blowout of Bramble, who had recently defeated Ray Mancini twice. What are people's perceptions of this guy? He has an extraordinary knockout record, but he also seemed to have a lot of boxing skills to accommodate that. He didn't seem to throw caution to the win, he patiently awaited openings. He was of course destroyed by Chavez, but I'm just about to watch his fight with Hector Camacho.

Anyone got some insight on Edwin Rosario?
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

A singularly massive puncher..a one shot type of guy, who unfortunately, had poor powers of recovery when tagged and hurt..despite never, to my knowledge, ever having been decked. A strange situation, to be sure. Somebody tell me if he was ever actually knocked down...I say he wasn't, even in that 1 round blasting by the Japanese guy..I saw that fight, and Rosario never went down, though he was battered from pillar to post.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
A singularly massive puncher..a one shot type of guy, who unfortunately, had poor powers of recovery when tagged and hurt..despite never, to my knowledge, ever having been decked. A strange situation, to be sure. Somebody tell me if he was ever actually knocked down...I say he wasn't, even in that 1 round blasting by the Japanese guy..I saw that fight, and Rosario never went down, though he was battered from pillar to post.
Was the Camacho scoring controversial in your view, and how do you suppose Rosario would fair in today's Lightweight division?
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Was the Camacho scoring controversial in your view, and how do you suppose Rosario would fair in today's Lightweight division?
I don't know so much about the scoring actually being controversial overall, but it definitely was Rosario's big shots that he landed on Camacho that made the biggest impression on everyone that night. Those shots sure made a different fighter of Hector...much to his own misfortune. I think he would fare about the sam e in today's scene as he did in his own time. Anyone who was taggable would be put into dreamland...and those tough, resourceful fighters would stun him and have their way with him...I think Joel Casamayor would be too slick for him, and Pacman would stop him within a couple of rounds, just to name a couple of guys.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 898
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Rosario tended to mix it up when he shouldn't. He could be drawn into punchouts and when he got in trouble he sometimes zoned. It took a good puncher usually to get him there and this was infrequent in his prime. Remember, he stood up to thunder from Chavez. More typically, Rosario was a patient and deadly puncher. He was a one punch guy. And he was technically quite good. I thought the fight was Camacho was damned close. It was the fight that forever changed Camacho's style. I thought Ramirez deserved to win the first fight, which was a closely fought match.

However, one of the best fights I ever saw in my life was Rosario's match with Frankle Randall. I watched it live on network TV and it was truly spectacular. At the end the ref lifted Rosario's hand giving him the verdict by half a point (this was in England). The ring rained coins from the British fans in appreciation. Frankie Randall was one of the best lightweights of his era. And so was Edwin Rosario.
MrMarvel is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
I don't know so much about the scoring actually being controversial overall, but it definitely was Rosario's big shots that he landed on Camacho that made the biggest impression on everyone that night. Those shots sure made a different fighter of Hector...much to his own misfortune. I think he would fare about the sam e in today's scene as he did in his own time. Anyone who was taggable would be put into dreamland...and those tough, resourceful fighters would stun him and have their way with him...I think Joel Casamayor would be too slick for him, and Pacman would stop him within a couple of rounds, just to name a couple of guys.
I think if Rosario can get to Camacho, he could probably get to Casamayor too though. He'd probably have a good chance at stopping Castillo and Corrales. I don't think there's a Lightweight around today that could have done what Chavez did to him, there's just not that calibre of fighter existing in the 135bs division.

I have Rosario/Camacho even after 4 rounds by the way.

I'm guessing round 5 was what changed Camacho's career?
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Yes, I agree that Rosario could have stopped both of those you mentioned, as for Casamayor, I also agree with you upon reflecting...it's the guy who is more of a rugged, puncher type that could crack Edwin's beard...I'm positive that Pacman would have..but the guys like Corrales and Castillo would have presented their chins as targets, and would have paid the price. See Chavez and Ramirez worked in tandem to basically ruin Rosario..especially Chavez.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Yes, I agree that Rosario could have stopped both of those you mentioned, as for Casamayor, I also agree with you upon reflecting...it's the guy who is more of a rugged, puncher type that could crack Edwin's beard...I'm positive that Pacman would have..but the guys like Corrales and Castillo would have presented their chins as targets, and would have paid the price. See Chavez and Ramirez worked in tandem to basically ruin Rosario..especially Chavez.
Manny isn't really a Lightweight and never has been, but I think from what I've seen of Rosario, he'd be made to order.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

I think Castillo would actually have a good shot against Rosario.He's quite similar to Ramirez in terms of talent and style.

Chico would have been brutalised.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Manny isn't really a Lightweight and never has been, but I think from what I've seen of Rosario, he'd be made to order.
It would have been perfectly feasible for a matchup to have been made between Rosario and Pac, if they were contemporaries...maybe not at lightweight, but it would have been arranged..and would have been another highlight reel for Manny.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
I think Castillo would actually have a good shot against Rosario.He's quite similar to Ramirez in terms of talent and style.

Chico would have been brutalised.
Of the two, most certainly Castillo would have fared better.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
I think Castillo would actually have a good shot against Rosario.He's quite similar to Ramirez in terms of talent and style.

Chico would have been brutalised.
Rosario claims that he knew he was out of shape for Ramirez so tried to knock him out early because he knew he couldn't go 12. Any truth to that do you think? Corrales is made to order for Rosario, not a hard target to hit, and he's been buzzed and hurt so many times in his career I've lost count. For all of Rosario's shortcomings, he seems to have dynamite in both fists.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

I just tend to see Rosario as a fighter who lacked dedication and stopped progressing technically at an early stage in his career.

Not sure if he was out of shape for the Ramirez fight, but steady hard toiling workmen like Ramirez and castillo are always going to be tough for him as long as they can take his punches.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Rosario claims that he knew he was out of shape for Ramirez so tried to knock him out early because he knew he couldn't go 12. Any truth to that do you think? Corrales is made to order for Rosario, not a hard target to hit, and he's been buzzed and hurt so many times in his career I've lost count. For all of Rosario's shortcomings, he seems to have dynamite in both fists.
God bless Chico, but he wouldn't have bounced up or even staggered up after one of Rosarios bombs caught him...and for that matter, well, I'll just say that it sure would have been a bombfest between Rosario and Edwin Vallero.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

1: Camacho
2: Camacho
3: Rosario
4: Rosario
5: Rosario
6: Rosario
7: Camacho
8: Camacho
9: Camacho
0: Rosario
11: Rosario
12: Rosario

Could have gone either way. I had it 7-5 Rosario.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013