Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #31
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Edwin Rosario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
if a gauy was a light flyweight , bantamweight , whatever , featherweight , sfw , lww and yes , also a lightweight , i think it is safe to consider him a lightweight.
...What?

Manny has one fight at 135lbs and it was a mickey mouse foregone conclusion. He's never been a real Lightweight. Could he take on Rosario at 135lbs and pummel him? Absolutely.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 04:23 AM   #32
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
Randall had one loss in almost a decade. Why he wasn't getting more credit and securing better opposition i don't know.
Drugs, and a surprising KO loss to Primo Ramos held him back during his prime years. By the time he came into the limelight he really was past his peak.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #33
BlueApollo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Man is that Bramble stoppage fantastic. Six and seven punch combos thrown perfectly.

How do you guys see JMM - Rosario playing out? I guess the smart pick has to be Chapo.
BlueApollo is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Edwin started out impressively, but what hurt him was his love of his power, he probably could have had a greater career.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #35
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Since ive been a fan he's one of the top 5 pure punchers ive seen.
I agree that he seemed better before he won the title ,he was a better boxer and looked much more fluid on the way up. His ko over Viruet was awesome,Viruet had taken Durans best and gave Duran a difficult fight. Rosario walked thru him,that was before Edwin won the title and everyone was Pumping him up to be the Next Duran.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #36
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I've decided to take a look at former WBA Lightweight champion of the world, Edwin Rosario. I just saw his one punch knockout of respected Edwin Viruet, and his 2 round blowout of Bramble, who had recently defeated Ray Mancini twice. What are people's perceptions of this guy? He has an extraordinary knockout record, but he also seemed to have a lot of boxing skills to accommodate that. He didn't seem to throw caution to the win, he patiently awaited openings. He was of course destroyed by Chavez, but I'm just about to watch his fight with Hector Camacho.

Anyone got some insight on Edwin Rosario?
Like many punchers he relied so much on power that he neglected defense at times. It is very hard in boxing history to find a hard puncher who had great defense. Rosario was a good boxer and had a great jab, but when he was landing he went off on the guy and then he would sacrifice stamina and defense. He goes down as HOF, but not ATG. His win over Bramble was incredible. He turned a pretty good champion into an easy demolition, and that was not luck he beat up Bramble in a similar way Hearns beat up Duran. They hit them clean for two rounds and finished them in round 2. Not one punch knockouts, but power exhibits nonetheless.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #37
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
Rosario started out at 118 or 122 I believe. He was a brilliant boxer in the early stages and had great movement. He kind of fell in love with his power as he moved up. Maybe the Viruet stoppage is when that started. Still, it was shocking at the time how Chavez took him apart. Chavez was only a slight favorite as I recall. I thought he deserved the decision against Camacho but I've seen worse decisions.
That Chavez fight showed just how much better Chavez was then most guys who were champs then, because Rosario would give everyone a tough fight. I thought Camacho won that fight. Rosario hurt him, but relied too much on power in that fight. The rounds he won were the ones he hurt Hector, but then Hector would then win more of the rounds in between and I thought he pulled it out. To give Hector credit, most guys wouldn't have taken that punch and survived round 5. The problem is that Hector Camacho never fought great again.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #38
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
God bless Chico, but he wouldn't have bounced up or even staggered up after one of Rosarios bombs caught him...and for that matter, well, I'll just say that it sure would have been a bombfest between Rosario and Edwin Vallero.
Valero is shit.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #39
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Personally think Marquez has the powers of recovery, power and ring intelligence to beat Rosario.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #40
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Personally think Marquez has the powers of recovery, power and ring intelligence to beat Rosario.
I actually agree with you However I could also see Rosario scoring a sensational ko,but Marquez gets this 2out of 3.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #41
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
I actually agree with you However I could also see Rosario scoring a sensational ko,but Marquez gets this 2out of 3.
That's the way I see it. Rosario would win one of a series: must consider that whilst evidently more offensive and powerful, Lightweight Marquez is an ageing one.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #42
BlueApollo
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
That's the way I see it. Rosario would win one of a series: must consider that whilst evidently more offensive and powerful, Lightweight Marquez is an ageing one.
You've got to think Marquez would fight a smarter fight in this one than he did against Diaz. His powers of recovery are excellent but it would be asking a lot to absorb that kind of volume off of a true puncher.

In any case, I'm on a mission to educate myself on the lightweights of the 80s. The division is a little bit of a waste land lately, everybody seems to be treating it like a way station instead of setting up shop and campaigning.
BlueApollo is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #43
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApollo View Post
You've got to think Marquez would fight a smarter fight in this one than he did against Diaz. His powers of recovery are excellent but it would be asking a lot to absorb that kind of volume off of a true puncher.

In any case, I'm on a mission to educate myself on the lightweights of the 80s. The division is a little bit of a waste land lately, everybody seems to be treating it like a way station instead of setting up shop and campaigning.
I think about this long and hard when considering Marquez in potential Lightweight matchups. Pac whacked very hard and would come in as over 135lbs in their rematch; The extra weight has added to his punching power no doubt but Marquez proved in that fight that he could take punches off a massive puncher 'in that area' IMO although at Lightweight I feel Rosario had the bigger one shot power. Put it this way, I don't think he would have had to beat up David Diaz for that long before leaving him on the canvas in a similar fashion to what Manny did.

But Manny retaining his speed whilst growing into bigger weights has made his power almost supernatural, it's unreal.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #44
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Interestingly, Ramirez said in no uncertain terms after his first match with Rosario that Edwin was a much harder puncher than Arguello. (This was before the rematch where Ed dropped Jose twice before folding up.) Alexis was more about placement, precision and timing than raw power though, zeroing in on vulnerable points with laser accuracy. Rosario was the first major beneficiary of the abolition of the championship distance, winning his first match with Ramirez exclusively because it was scheduled for 12 rounds, and he was fading badly at the end.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #45
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Chapo was a demon offensively...without a formidable defense, you're screwed (unless you had the exceptional balls, chops, and durability to take it straight to him - ill-advised but for true studs).

A perfect example of lower-weight inhabitants aging in an unfavorable sense of the word at a more advanced rate than their heavier counterparts. Of course, there were other factors at play with Rosario, but even taking his recreational vices into account...

Compare exhibit A (5 years pre-Chavez)
BORKED

with Exhibit B a decade later (and 5 years post-Chavez)

BORKED

It's too bad Chapo-Flaco never came off, even though Arguello likely would have knocked the crap out of him.

It's a VERY good thing he never got his title shot at a prime De La Hoya before passing. It would have been senseless carnage, and he may have met an even more gruesome end as a result.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum