Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Why is PBF being called a potshotter?

This is a little unfair and only true of his last 2. Lets examine his fights:

Delahoya - maybe 20lbs smaller on fight night, so looked to hit and not be hit. He did mainly throw single shots and wasn't willing to exchange against the much bigger man, which makes allot of sense

Baldomir - He throw combinations early and couldn't hurt the iron chinned Baldomir but broke his hand. Throwing single shots and seems to make sense

Judah - NO NO NO, Floyd was actually a pressure fighter in this fight, he threw many combinations, was coming forward allot

Mitchell - Floyd was very aggressive in this fight and certainly wasn't pot shotting

Gatti - Floyd was throwing 6 punches at a time, stayed out of range but was aggressive

Corley/Brussells- aggressive, combination throwing action

So based on 2 fights were calling Mayweather a pot shotter basically? The Hatton fight will be interesting to see how Mayweather chooses to fight. A pottshotting back foot fight is a possibility but I don't think he'll fight that way
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
KO Boxing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 950
Default Re: Why is PBF being called a potshotter?

I'd like an answer to this question to...
KO Boxing is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

No doubt. And no one would have ever called him a "runner" if Larry Merchant didn't say that shit during the Baldomir fight.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

He is called a potshotter, basically because his defence is so good.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Good points, except PBF could hardly be described as a pressure fighter in the Judah fight. Did he go on the front foot and lead for a change? Yes. But this does not make you a "pressure fighter" by normal standards. Against Judah, PBF was simply the boxer with better fundamentals and more dimensions.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Pot shotting is using your opponents momentum and timing to land short quick shots, and guys like Floyd who have a lot of speed are good at it. Roy Jones, was also very good at it and James Toney too, except Toney did it on the inside.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
marzblkman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

A good example of pot-shotting would be what Andre Dirrell did against Curtis Stevens on that Malignaggi-Ndou card.

You're not going to be the P4P merely "pot shotting" and thats just a label usually echoed by simpletons and haters. Good dissection and contrary to what Ricky Hatton says and his fans thinks, I happen to think his fights with Hernandez, Corrales and mutalitation of Gatti were much more exciting than anything I've seen of Ricky.

That said, on top of the speed and defensive elements what isn't analyzed about Floyd is how he can adapt and takes fighters plan A's away from them. In the DLH it was clear they wanted to jab to get inside to land the hook. I don't think Oscar landed a hook until the 12th but the way they took his jab away from him was with shoulder blocks and right hand counters. Thats why Oscar put his Jab BACK in the holster.

I don't like the fact that Floyd DIDN'T take a risk in the Oscar fight to further embarass him but they played that safe..

Floyd doesn't throw near as many punches as he did when he was coming but he generally doesn't have to. His strategy now is, "let me see what this guy is going to do and I'm going to take it away from him". It happened with Zab Judah who I thought easily won the first 4 rounds of their fight. As Zab tired, he became more susceptible to Floyd body shots that made him punch one at a tiime.

With Ricky I think the battle will be footwork. Ricky's straight ahead style vs Floyd's pivots and angles. We saw what happened when Collazo did this. If Ricky threw more feints and could box effectively on the outside I'd give him more of a chance but Floyd will basically turn, rotate him, slip, duck and counter him and then we'll see if Ricky's plan B is good enough..
marzblkman is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

the boxing adjective "potshotter" just sounds condescending. Do you guys think PBF would have ever been called a "Runner" if Larry Merchant hadn't said that during the Baldomir telecast, honestly?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzblkman
A good example of pot-shotting would be what Andre Dirrell did against Curtis Stevens on that Malignaggi-Ndou card.

You're not going to be the P4P merely "pot shotting" and thats just a label usually echoed by simpletons and haters. Good dissection and contrary to what Ricky Hatton says and his fans thinks, I happen to think his fights with Hernandez, Corrales and mutalitation of Gatti were much more exciting than anything I've seen of Ricky.

That said, on top of the speed and defensive elements what isn't analyzed about Floyd is how he can adapt and takes fighters plan A's away from them. In the DLH it was clear they wanted to jab to get inside to land the hook. I don't think Oscar landed a hook until the 12th but the way they took his jab away from him was with shoulder blocks and right hand counters. Thats why Oscar put his Jab BACK in the holster.

I don't like the fact that Floyd DIDN'T take a risk in the Oscar fight to further embarass him but they played that safe..

Floyd doesn't throw near as many punches as he did when he was coming but he generally doesn't have to. His strategy now is, "let me see what this guy is going to do and I'm going to take it away from him". It happened with Zab Judah who I thought easily won the first 4 rounds of their fight. As Zab tired, he became more susceptible to Floyd body shots that made him punch one at a tiime.

With Ricky I think the battle will be footwork. Ricky's straight ahead style vs Floyd's pivots and angles. We saw what happened when Collazo did this. If Ricky threw more feints and could box effectively on the outside I'd give him more of a chance but Floyd will basically turn, rotate him, slip, duck and counter him and then we'll see if Ricky's plan B is good enough..
Great post
Old 09-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

There is nothing wrong with being neither a runner nor a potshotter. As long as you win. If you don't, then you can blame yourself, that you didn't do enough.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #11
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe wrenched
the boxing adjective "potshotter" just sounds condescending. Do you guys think PBF would have ever been called a "Runner" if Larry Merchant hadn't said that during the Baldomir telecast, honestly?
Well the Baldomir fight was an absolute stinker, Floyd deserves every last bit of criticism he gets for that "fight". And I'm a Mayweather fan.
RDJ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum