Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
jsimps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Taylor's camp talking a knockout of Pavlik

NEW YORK As Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward talked smack at the podium at the final press conference before Saturday's middleweight title fight between champion Jermain Taylor and Kelly Pavlik, the Youngstown resident's face didn't betray any emotion.
Pavlik (31-0, 28 KOs) didn't flinch or fume when Steward, the best-known trainer in the sport, went out on a limb and predicted that Taylor would win by a knockout.
Pavlik, who arrived in New York Wednesday morning, and will engage in some light running the next couple days to stay limber and to keep his weight near the 160-pound limit, stayed cool during Steward's pointed commentary at BB King's Blues Club in Manhattan on Wednesday afternoon.
Predicts knockout
"If you all respect me so much, then respect my prediction," Steward said to the gathered media. "Jermain Taylor will knock out Kelly Pavlik. I've never had a fighter in better condition for a fight, [Julio Cesar] Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya, Wladimir Klitschko, [Evander] Holyfield, mentally and physically. [Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ray Robinson, those guys wouldn't want to fight Jermain."
Pavlik was asked if the Steward slams got under his skin, or if he was actually as chill as he looked.
"Manny was trying to give his guy a boost of self confidence," he said. "They're desperate, looking for an advantage. I flat laughed. I know what they're trying to do."
The 6-21/2 boxer, who goes by the nickname "The Ghost," will be on the biggest stage of his seven-year pro career. He'll be fighting on "free" HBO, against the WBC middleweight titlist who's been in with some of the game's greats, including Bernard Hopkins, Winky Wright and Cory Spinks.
Taylor has struggled
Taylor, a 29-year-old from Little Rock, Ark., hasn't lost as a pro, though he hasn't looked spectacular in his last five outings. In that span, he hasn't notched a knockout, so Steward's call is a bold one. Pavlik didn't ramp up his smack-talk in response to the Steward rips. Instead, he shared his plan of attack for Saturday evening at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
"I'll do my talking with my fists," he said. "I won't freeze up on Saturday, because I train too hard. I have to give credit to myself, to my focus. I'll throw a lot of punches, use head movement. My sparring partners' are faster than Taylor. I'm not going to be a sitting target."
Pavlik said he won't take Taylor lightly or dismiss his power because "Bad Intentions" hasn't earned a KO since 2005.
"He's strong, a big middleweight," Pavlik said. "We don't look past his KO ratio. I'll keep my hands up and stay focused."
Pavlik's trainer, Jack Loew, seemed to take Steward's bold statements a bit more to heart than his fighter. Loew thinks Taylor is a less challenging opponent than the last two men Pavlik has beaten, Jose Luis Zertuche and Edison Miranda.
Lowe confident
"I'm more confident coming in to this fight than I was against Zertuche or Miranda," he said. "Taylor is basic, he hasn't changed since he was an amateur. He drops his hands, sticks his chin out. He hasn't looked better since Emanuel got him."
That Taylor couldn't put smaller men, like Spinks, and Kassim Ouma, down on the canvas shows Loew his power is negligible.
"You got to take Cory Spinks out, watch what Kelly would do to little guys like that," Loew said.
His fighter seemed eager to finish the hyping-sessions, and ready to decide conclusively who the best middleweight in the world is, in the ring.
"I'm ready to get the show on," he said. "I'm ready to get in the ring and let my hands go."
Will he predict a KO win, as Steward did?
"I don't predict a knockout, I do predict a win," Pavlik said. "No matter what way I get the win, I'll take it."

I hope Taylor comes in with this mindset. He will get destroyed in a toe to toe battle..
jsimps is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852
Default Re: Taylor's camp talking a knockout of Pavlik

Go Pavlik.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Alo2006
R.I.P Sean Taylor
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Taylor all the way
Alo2006 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

It took Taylor 9 rounds to dispose of average chinned LMW Raul Marquez and that's all I have to say on this matter.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
marauder1999
Champion
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimps
"If you all respect me so much, then respect my prediction," Steward said to the gathered media. "Jermain Taylor will knock out Kelly Pavlik. I've never had a fighter in better condition for a fight, [Julio Cesar] Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya, Wladimir Klitschko, [Evander] Holyfield, mentally and physically. [Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ray Robinson, those guys wouldn't want to fight Jermain."
Are u kidding me????

So when Pavlik beats the snot out of taylor does that mean manny will then think that pavlik is a better fighter than sugar ray--hagler,,etc,,all the guys he mentioned????

All Hail Kelly--the new middlweight champ who even by mannys mouth IF HE BEATS TAYLOR HE COULD BEAT SUGAR RAY-HAGLER,ETC---WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taylor camp is scared. Its all over their reactions to this fight.

Pavlik by the 6th.
marauder1999 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
bachatu
Pro
ESB Addict

Remember a couple of things.... De La Hoya also sparred with guys who were faster than Mayweather, but in the end, when you are in the ring, the sparring partner won't be fighting the fight for you. Speed has always shown to be conquerer in the ring.
I think its good that they are throwing some of it (hype) back to Pavlik since his camp have been talking soooo much **** about how strong Pavlik is and how much of a ko artist he is. I'm sorry, but he hasn't fought the level of competition that Taylor has to prove he is a real K.O artist. They try to make him out to be some sort of a killer shark like Mike Tyson or something. The impression I got from watching the HBO special countdown to Pavlik/Taylor was that Pavliks camp was trying a to instill fear in Taylor...they are trying to win the fight before it even begins. If he is so powerful as they say, there is no need to mention his strength...let the world see for themselves come sept 29th.

if people don't think Pavlik would win against Winky or B-hop, then we know Pavlik is not at the same level with Jermaine.
bachatu is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

Pavlik KO 7 Taylor.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rey
I hope that Taylor gets knocked straight through the ropes and lands right on top of Manny Steward.
Man and he's gonna have a tough time with excuses too, after hearing all about training in the Poccanos and no one's ever lost after coming down from there, etc...
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
tpuz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1355

The only part of Stewart's prediction that I agree with, is that there will be an early K.O. What I don't agree with, is who is going to get K.O.'d. Pavlik by early K.O.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tpuz is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
marauder1999
Champion
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachatu
Remember a couple of things.... De La Hoya also sparred with guys who were faster than Mayweather, but in the end, when you are in the ring, the sparring partner won't be fighting the fight for you. Speed has always shown to be conquerer in the ring.
I think its good that they are throwing some of it (hype) back to Pavlik since his camp have been talking soooo much **** about how strong Pavlik is and how much of a ko artist he is. I'm sorry, but he hasn't fought the level of competition that Taylor has to prove he is a real K.O artist. They try to make him out to be some sort of a killer shark like Mike Tyson or something. The impression I got from watching the HBO special countdown to Pavlik/Taylor was that Pavliks camp was trying a to instill fear in Taylor...they are trying to win the fight before it even begins. If he is so powerful as they say, there is no need to mention his strength...let the world see for themselves come sept 29th.

if people don't think Pavlik would win against Winky or B-hop, then we know Pavlik is not at the same level with Jermaine.
pavlik wasnt instilling fear on any of them-hes a humble guy-rewatch the video. Pavliks trainer and pavlik himself arent running around saying they are going to do this and that and gonna knock pavlik out. Get your damn facts straight--Taylors camp has been doing that since this fight has been scheduled--the media is the one hyping pavlik--not pavliks camp. This thread alone is again about taylors camp of what they are going to do to kelly and mannys old ass saying taylors gonna knock him out----I dont see pavliks camp saying ****. Kelly makes one statement that he will let his hands talk--thats a fighter whos very very sure of himself----Manny has never dissed a fighter the way hes doing it to pavlik--theres a reason--they are scared. it shows in articles like this one. And then manny says sugar ray leonard wouldnt want to fight taylor!!!! Give me a damn break. When pavlik whoops his ass then guess pavlik is better than sugar ray then--Hey--manny said it, all you taylor fans.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
bachatu
Pro
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder1999
pavlik wasnt instilling fear on any of them-hes a humble guy-rewatch the video. Pavliks trainer and pavlik himself arent running around saying they are going to do this and that and gonna knock pavlik out. Get your damn facts straight--Taylors camp has been doing that since this fight has been scheduled--the media is the one hyping pavlik--not pavliks camp. This thread alone is again about taylors camp of what they are going to do to kelly and mannys old ass saying taylors gonna knock him out----I dont see pavliks camp saying ****. Kelly makes one statement that he will let his hands talk--thats a fighter whos very very sure of himself----Manny has never dissed a fighter the way hes doing it to pavlik--theres a reason--they are scared. it shows in articles like this one.
Watch the video again and listen to Pavliks trainer.... when he talks about how hes made guys **** in the ring after he's punched them. Or how they carried out guys in stretchers. Please, they try to make him sound like he is the Texas Chain-Saw massacre. He failed to mention whether these guys who ****ed in the ring or were carried out in stretchers were even ranked professional fighters... get my drift? Is he implying this is what he will do to Taylor????? give me a break.
bachatu is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
marauder1999
Champion
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachatu
Watch the video again and listen to Pavliks trainer.... when he talks about how hes made guys **** in the ring after he's punched them. Or how they carried out guys in stretchers. He failed to mention whether these guys who ****ed in the ring or were carried out in stretchers were even ranked professional fighters... get my drift? Is he implying this is what he will do to Taylor????? give me a break.
I dont think hes making it that he will do that to taylor but on the same hand I dont see pavliks camp flagrantly calling out taylor like taylor and manny do to pavlik the last 3 nmonths and now to say that sugar ray wouldnt even want to fight taylor. Give me a break--so back to waht I said--When pavlik wins--I guess that means hes better than sugar ray--manny said so himself.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
Executioner
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
"If you all respect me so much, then respect my prediction," Steward said to the gathered media. "Jermain Taylor will knock out Kelly Pavlik. I've never had a fighter in better condition for a fight, [Julio Cesar] Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya, Wladimir Klitschko, [Evander] Holyfield, mentally and physically. [Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ray Robinson, those guys wouldn't want to fight Jermain."..
WHAAAAAATTTTT the F U C K ?

A lot of those fighters are All Time ****ing Great fighters that have had tougher ****s than Taylor and they wouldn't want to fight him???????

Come on Emanuel, we know there are side effects to old timers...but damn....
Executioner is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

Quote:
NEW YORK As Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward talked smack at the podium at the final press conference before Saturday's middleweight title fight between champion Jermain Taylor and Kelly Pavlik, the Youngstown resident's face didn't betray any emotion.
Pavlik (31-0, 28 KOs) didn't flinch or fume when Steward, the best-known trainer in the sport, went out on a limb and predicted that Taylor would win by a knockout.
Pavlik, who arrived in New York Wednesday morning, and will engage in some light running the next couple days to stay limber and to keep his weight near the 160-pound limit, stayed cool during Steward's pointed commentary at BB King's Blues Club in Manhattan on Wednesday afternoon.
Predicts knockout
Pavlik was asked if the Steward slams got under his skin, or if he was actually as chill as he looked.
"Manny was trying to give his guy a boost of self confidence," he said. "They're desperate, looking for an advantage. I flat laughed. I know what they're trying to do."
The 6-21/2 boxer, who goes by the nickname "The Ghost," will be on the biggest stage of his seven-year pro career. He'll be fighting on "free" HBO, against the WBC middleweight titlist who's been in with some of the game's greats, including Bernard Hopkins, Winky Wright and Cory Spinks.
Taylor has struggled
Taylor, a 29-year-old from Little Rock, Ark., hasn't lost as a pro, though he hasn't looked spectacular in his last five outings. In that span, he hasn't notched a knockout, so Steward's call is a bold one. Pavlik didn't ramp up his smack-talk in response to the Steward rips. Instead, he shared his plan of attack for Saturday evening at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
"I'll do my talking with my fists," he said. "I won't freeze up on Saturday, because I train too hard. I have to give credit to myself, to my focus. I'll throw a lot of punches, use head movement. My sparring partners' are faster than Taylor. I'm not going to be a sitting target."
Pavlik said he won't take Taylor lightly or dismiss his power because "Bad Intentions" hasn't earned a KO since 2005.
"He's strong, a big middleweight," Pavlik said. "We don't look past his KO ratio. I'll keep my hands up and stay focused."
Pavlik's trainer, Jack Loew, seemed to take Steward's bold statements a bit more to heart than his fighter. Loew thinks Taylor is a less challenging opponent than the last two men Pavlik has beaten, Jose Luis Zertuche and Edison Miranda.
Lowe confident
"I'm more confident coming in to this fight than I was against Zertuche or Miranda," he said. "Taylor is basic, he hasn't changed since he was an amateur. He drops his hands, sticks his chin out. He hasn't looked better since Emanuel got him."
That Taylor couldn't put smaller men, like Spinks, and Kassim Ouma, down on the canvas shows Loew his power is negligible.
"You got to take Cory Spinks out, watch what Kelly would do to little guys like that," Loew said.
His fighter seemed eager to finish the hyping-sessions, and ready to decide conclusively who the best middleweight in the world is, in the ring.
"I'm ready to get the show on," he said. "I'm ready to get in the ring and let my hands go."
Will he predict a KO win, as Steward did?
"I don't predict a knockout, I do predict a win," Pavlik said. "No matter what way I get the win, I'll take it."

I hope Taylor comes in with this mindset. He will get destroyed in a toe to toe battle..
gO JT
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executioner
WHAAAAAATTTTT the F U C K ?

A lot of those fighters are All Time ****ing Great fighters that have had tougher ****s than Taylor and they wouldn't want to fight him???????

Come on Emanuel, we know there are side effects to old timers...but damn....
No doubt. I have mad respect for Manny, but that **** is over the top.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum