Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default The old school boxers seemed like party animals but had unreal stamina

Fighters from langford, ketchel, johnson right u to armstrong, robinson, bear all loved the night like and liked a good drink but it didnt seem to effect there performance one bit! Was there something in the water back then?
cotto20 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: The old school boxers seemed like party animals but had unreal stamina

Good point. Not to mention Monzon, Locche, Harada, Ortiz, Olivares, Pastrano, Pep and many others. Locche smoked in between rounds for ****'s sake, and Monzon cut down to 60 a day during training.

It's why the 'modern training' and 'advanced dietary nutrition' arguments don't convince me when I see Haye, Cotto, Dawson, De La Hoya or Tszyu unable to fight at a pace for 12 full rounds, never mind 15.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
northernstar83
Northernstar83
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: The old school boxers seemed like party animals but had unreal stamina

Maybe cos they were fighting for their life and had unreal determination i dont know
northernstar83 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Good point. Not to mention Monzon, Locche, Harada, Ortiz, Olivares, Pastrano, Pep and many others. Locche smoked in between rounds for ****'s sake, and Monzon cut down to 60 a day during training.

It's why the 'modern training' and 'advanced dietary nutrition' arguments don't convince me when I see Haye, Cotto, Dawson, De La Hoya or Tszyu unable to fight at a pace for 12 full rounds, never mind 15.
****in' A, right. It really speaks to the quality of the individual fighter. I guess they really don't make 'em like they used to.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

It also makes me question all that nutrition bollocks
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

There are a good number of fighters in very recent years who would've been able to compete in the 15 round era. Hopkins, Calzaghe, Mayweather, Whitaker et al all had the conditioning to compete or even excel on that level. Hatton was average, but could set a monstrous pace in his early days before booze and pies caught up with him.

Athletes in nearly every sport seem more fragile to me these days, more susceptible to injury, be it boxing, football (soccer), tennis, athletics or anything else. I'm not knocking modern nutrition; it just winds me up people claiming that today's fighters would have a clear advantage because of it.

And I'm only young.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Cigarettes (Locche, Monzon and Walker) and cigars (Lionel Rose and Tony Galento), are good for boxers. It helps them keep their weight under control, and improves their wind by preventing the formation of internal abdominal fat which can constrict the breathing by squashing the viscera. Being perpetually drunk conditions them to function effectively in competition when a punch knocks them dizzy.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Cigarettes (Locche, Monzon and Walker) and cigars (Lionel Rose and Tony Galento), are good for boxers. It helps them keep their weight under control, and improves their wind by preventing the formation of internal abdominal fat which can constrict the breathing by squashing the viscera. Being perpetually drunk conditions them to function effectively in competition when a punch knocks them dizzy.
Cigs also cover the bronchioli in a tar-like substance if I'm not mistaken, and thus hinder the ability of the lungs to function fully. And I can't believe that constant alcohol consumption can be construed as more of a positive than negative. But I'm no doctor, so I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
North Star
Journeyman

Many of these fighters were born into horrific and far below average financial circumstances, so if they came into the world healthy enough to just deal with the harsh rigors of everyday life it meant they were already survivors of a brutal selection process that pre-toughened them for boxing.

If they managed to get enough food, and many did not, they seldom had enough of anything else such as medical care, safe drinking water, sanitation, clothing, adequately heated housing, healthy workplaces and reasonanble working hours with paid vacations and sick days.

According to some of the Jack Johnson biographies he broke his leg when he was young and without much money but somehow he managed to heal without a limp even though it was never treated by a doctor.
North Star is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Jersey Joe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 975

Booze, broads, and fat cuban cigars put hairs on your chest and fire in your belly. That's why so many of the great fighters indulged with success. I'd say that fighting once a month instead of once a year might also have something to do with it. Guys like Pep sometimes fought twice in a week!
Jersey Joe is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Monzon cut back to a pack a day when training...and NO ONE was a better 15 round fighter...obviously I think that the 15 round guys were the best.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Cigs also cover the bronchioli in a tar-like substance if I'm not mistaken, and thus hinder the ability of the lungs to function fully. And I can't believe that constant alcohol consumption can be construed as more of a positive than negative. But I'm no doctor, so I'm happy to be proven wrong.
All I can say is..."Monzon, Locche, Rose, Walker, etc.,..." there's always exceptions to the rule.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #13
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Exactly! It's acclimatisation
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Fighting as often as most of most of the mentioned fighters did will do that for you. Alongside that stamina that can't be gained any other way comes from the relaxation in the ring that can't be taught.

Locche, Robinson, Monzon, Johnson? You just named four of the most relaxed men to ever step into the ring,
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
Bioyhh
Riot Dog

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe View Post
Booze, broads, and fat cuban cigars put hairs on your chest and fire in your belly. That's why so many of the great fighters indulged with success. I'd say that fighting once a month instead of once a year might also have something to do with it. Guys like Pep sometimes fought twice in a week!
When I first glanced at this I thought it read "booze, cigars, and fat Cuban broads . . ."
Bioyhh is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum