Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Johnny Du Plooy

What was the deal with this guy? He won 196 out of 200 amateur fights and then went on to an underwhelming pro career and pretty much quit by 30.

On tape, he looks good at times, demonstrates a nice uppercut and right, and at other times just squares up and throws like a barroom brawler.

I seem to remember rumors of him being a prodigious partier.

Forgive my interest in burned-up, never-was, South African fighters but they had cool hair and mustaches.
Seamus is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Johnny Du Plooy

Johnny Du Plooy vs Pierre Coetzer.. This was a great little slugfest for two rounds.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VigsWDWDHF0[/ame]
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Talented prospect who lacked the heart/durability/dedication to make good on any potential he might've had. A familiar story.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Was this the guy that Muhammad Ali nearly fought,in 1972 ? Ali was on the verge of fighting in South Africa during that year.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Was this the guy that Muhammad Ali nearly fought,in 1972 ? Ali was on the verge of fighting in South Africa during that year.
No Duplooy came way after in the mid 80s he split 2 fights with a faded Weaver. Big puncher but every time hed get a good win hed run into a setback was more of a top 20 heavyweight,or fringe contender at best.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
No Duplooy came way after in the mid 80s he split 2 fights with a faded Weaver. Big puncher but every time hed get a good win hed run into a setback was more of a top 20 heavyweight,or fringe contender at best.
Thanks. Who then,was the boxer that Muhammad Ali was going to fight over there,in '72 ? It would have been too early for Gerrie Coetzee or Kalli Knoetze.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

With a better defense and studier chin, he might have been serious challenger. But, his limitations kept him from truly reaching the world stage.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Thanks. Who then,was the boxer that Muhammad Ali was going to fight over there,in '72 ? It would have been too early for Gerrie Coetzee or Kalli Knoetze.
You're probably thinking of tentative plans to match Ali against Mike Schutte in 1976 or 1977. For whatever reason, the deal never materialized.

Schutte was a contemporary of Coetzee and Knoetze, and he was inferior to both. During the 1976-77 period, however, Schutte was still ranked higher than Coetzee and Knoetze, who were just starting their careers.

In 1975 and 1976, Schutte won a string of victories against well known "B" level fighters, such as Joe "King" Roman, Rodney Bobick, Obie English, and others. Thus, Schutte's name was always in the magazines, and he was probably top 20 material with the WBC and WBA.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
scribbs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

He was a big draw in South Africa, was apparently talented but his application was not the best

Here are some articles about Johnny -

A brief look back on his career by himself - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Johnny had a heart scare in Feb 2012 -

Quote:
FORMER heavyweight sensation Johnny du Plooy is recuperating at home after veering close to death with heart problems.

But the drama is not over. Du Plooy says he is embroiled in a battle with his medical aid to be able to afford the medical equipment he needs to stay alive.

Du Plooy was discharged from Bedford Gardens Hospital at the weekend after a stay of eight days that started in critical circumstances. "I was feeling very tired, but I didn't think it was that serious," he said yesterday.
Boxing hero of '80s battles heart, snoring - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

But was back in the ring the next month with former foe (not fighting)

Du Plooy and Coetzer in one last showdown - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Like many fighters Du Plooey squandered his money

Quote:
Du Plooy told me he had snorted his way through some R750,000 of cocaine.
Quote:
He had come to terms with his financial losses and, clean from the drugs, had picked up the pieces of his life with a committed wife and an adequate business.
The biggest losers in boxing - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Not sure of the current situation but hope all is well for this former fighter.
scribbs is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
What was the deal with this guy? He won 196 out of 200 amateur fights and then went on to an underwhelming pro career and pretty much quit by 30.

On tape, he looks good at times, demonstrates a nice uppercut and right, and at other times just squares up and throws like a barroom brawler.

Forgive my interest in burned-up, never-was, South African fighters but they had cool hair and mustaches.
He was a pretty terrible fighter. No defense and chin up in the air when in attack mode.
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Flattened by Sanders in one.
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

I seem to remember rumours of prior arrangement in some of his "contests".
Just watched the Duplooy v Sanders fight, Duplooy has his chin up saying hit me , and Sanders did.

Last edited by mcvey; 04-12-2013 at 06:48 AM.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #13

vCash: 240

Quote:
According to this [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Il Duce post, Muhammad Ali was going to fight in South Africa, November 1972, againts Al Jones, American boxer.
190 is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
scribbs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

R.I.P. Johnny who died today

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
scribbs is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

In the light of the latest sad news on this subject , do me a favour Seamus.
Don't ever start a thread about me.
mcvey is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum