Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #16
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who is the greatest person in boxing

Jack Johnson.

Johnson was what he need to be in his time. Joe Louis is what was needed in his. If Johnson had behaved like Louis, he would have been perceived as a good boy staying in his place. Staying in his place would not have gotten him a shot at Burns.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 AM   #17
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Of present day fighters only the Klitschkos are of the same caliber as some of the old timers mentioned here.
punchy is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 AM   #18
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy View Post
Winston Churchill is rated the greatest briton of all time maybe we can say Abe Lincoln was the greatest American, but who do we say is the greatest person in boxing is it Ali for the work he did to further his race
Which was what? Being a seperatist and calling Joe Louis-black America's biggest sporting hero-an uncle Tom?

I dunno. I'm an Ali fan and I think he was a very courageous guy but there's so much bandied around about him which simply isn't true.
mrbassie is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #19
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Alexis Arguello seemed to me to be the nicest and most warmhearted of all the fighters that come to mind although i know there have been many.

Despite Delahoyas rep as spoiled rich prima donna he has done a lot for the East LA community,building hospitals,funding schools,building gyms,and supplying computers and grants,that many times dont get mentioned.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #20
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagamuffinMan View Post
Ali.
Ali has always been my favourite person in boxing. Who the greatest person is,would be impossible to say. In terms of achievement,and image,Ali would definitely be up there.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

'Peerless' Jim Driscoll 'the peoples champion' gets my vote for the greatest person in boxing, 120,000 people attended his funeral.
Driscoll gave up a chance to fight for the World title because he had promised to fight in an exhibition to raise money for an orphanage {Nazareth House}.
The 1st World War deprived him of any further chance of fighting for the World title, he joined the army and did not box for 6 years.
Jim Driscoll has streets named after him in his home town, he has statues of himself in his hometown, at the front of his huge funeral he had 100 children from the Nazareth House orphanage and to this day nuns from the orphanage tend to his grave.
On the boxing front, Driscoll held the British version of the World featherweight title, before going to America, where is reputation as a boxer had preceded him, he easily beat every American put in front of him, Abe Atell was the World Champion at that time, Atell would only fight Jim in a 10 round no-decision contest, without his title been at stake {America had a no decision rule in place at the time, a winner only being declared if there was a KO}
Jim Driscoll dominated Atell, most observers say Jim won all 10 rounds.
Nat Fleischer commented that Driscoll was easily the best and was the best featherweight in the World.
Jim Driscoll was offered a rematch with the World title at stake {Atell had no choice as everybody knew who was the real champion} but Jim had promised to go back home to Wales to fight in an exhibition to raise money for an orphanage.
Anybody that ranks Atell above Driscoll does not know what they are talking about.
Driscolls most famous fight was a war against Freddie Welsh, Driscoll from Irish stock, living in the docks area of Cardiff fought a 'valley commando' in Freddie Welsh aka Freddie Thomas {he did not want his mother to know he was boxing}, Welsh had recently drawn with Packey McFarland {1 defeat in 100 plus fights} over 20 rounds , Welsh went onto to beat Benny Leonard in the States.
Gentleman Jim repeatedly headbutted Welsh in frustration and was disqualified as Driscoll claimed he was getting no protection from the referee, Welsh was alledgley using dirty tactics, there was rioting all over Cardiff after the fight {this may not just have been Jims supporters unhappy about the outcome, as Freddie had proberbly a lot of valley boys in town there to support him}.
Jim Driscoll was also a trainer and trained Percy Jones {Rhondda} to win a World title.
trampie is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

It's hard to pick out one individual, but I've always found something to admire in Roy Jones Jnr. Here is a man who was a brutally abused child and a frequent victim of circumstances (eg. the 1988 Olympics) but who kept his character throughout and ultimately had a reconciliation with his father. He could have easily taken the wrong path on many occasions, but
chose instead to transcend his situation.

He was also genuine in his public persona, resisting the temptation to have a lucrative mean image and instead choosing to be a role-model for millions of fans: when he beat Toney, he went with some friends to McDonalds and was so sober the next morning he decided to go for a jog, just for fun!
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #23
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
It's hard to pick out one individual, but I've always found something to admire in Roy Jones Jnr. Here is a man who was a brutally abused child and a frequent victim of circumstances (eg. the 1988 Olympics) but who kept his character throughout and ultimately had a reconciliation with his father. He could have easily taken the wrong path on many occasions, but
chose instead to transcend his situation.
I don't think that Jones is anything like special enough to take top honours in this thread, but I do think he's a good mention. This is something often overlooked about Jones.

I wrote an article for this site in the build-up to Calzaghe-Jones highlighting some of this.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Theres only 2 answers to this thread: Muhammed Ali and Mike Tyson by a landslide, they definned boxing for generations and brought it to the mainstream. Any other answer is typical of the anorak trying to be trendy ****wittery of the Classic forum
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #25
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Boxing was mainstream way before those two though.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #26
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The one & only.... believe that shit !
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #27
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Theres only 2 answers to this thread: Muhammed Ali and Mike Tyson by a landslide, they definned boxing for generations and brought it to the mainstream. Any other answer is typical of the anorak trying to be trendy ****wittery of the Classic forum
Don't you think that boxing was as big or bigger before them?
janitor is online now  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #28
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Don't you think that boxing was as big or bigger before them?
And who gives a shit about big, anyway? Greatness is about more than fame and infamy. There are great, great human beings who boxed. I'd like to see more answers in keeping with that theme rather than further lauding of Ali.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #29
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Joe Louis.

Arguello, even with the auspicious ending.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #30
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
And who gives a shit about big, anyway? Greatness is about more than fame and infamy. There are great, great human beings who boxed. I'd like to see more answers in keeping with that theme rather than further lauding of Ali.
If Ali is someone`s opinion then thats that.

I could say, Barney Ross fought too long ago blah blah but its your opinion & its as worthy as any.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum