Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier Talks About Rocky Movies "Im Rocky"

He even used to run with his mangy dog like Balboa did. The Apollo vs Rocky rivalry is clearly based on Ali vs Frazier, both there personalities and fighting style.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Minotauro is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #17
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
Just for fun I did a search on Youtube on The Netherlands. Here's what I came up with:

Yeah, you guys have it going on over there. Add to that an underachieving soccer (football team) and the fact that I have a difficult time thinking of a prominent Dutch boxer and you probably should refrain from such comments.
do you're homework good.
underachieving soccerteam ?? hmm we are one off the smallest countrys 16 million people. one time european champ. 2x runner up at worldchampion. as for our clubteams they won several european and worldcups. and with a style of soccer wich is loved all over the world.
as for prominent dutch boxers ? well boxing ain't great here but we had several medals at the olympics, world champions and european champions. (van klaveren, lubbers, tuur, delibas, koopmans, van derlijde, blanchard, poeder, joval etc etc) that ain't bad for a country with only a few thousand people practising boxing ??
but again that had nothing to do with my comment. the fact that it is stupid of not making a statue for a real former heavyweight champ and ATG. but making a statue for a movie character..????
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #18
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
Just for fun I did a search on Youtube on The Netherlands. Here's what I came up with:

Yeah, you guys have it going on over there. Add to that an underachieving soccer (football team) and the fact that I have a difficult time thinking of a prominent Dutch boxer and you probably should refrain from such comments.
I wouldn't say the Dutch are an underachieving football nation. They have made it to two world cup finals and won a European championship. Not to mention they have produced some incredible talent for such a small country. Also Ajax are one of the greatest football teams ever and that style of football that Barcelona play and which everyone loves was a product of Ajax. Cruyff bought it with him when he left Ajax for Barce and again so when he became manager and installed in into their youth system which is why guys like Xavi, Iniesta and Messi play it so naturally. The Dutch's impact on the beautiful game should not be underestimated, huge football nation.

Also while not a great boxing nation they have a very rich history in Muay Thai after the Thai's they are probably the greatest nation in that sport either them or Japan. Either way they have produced many great muay thai fighters and continue to do so.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #19
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1061

Stallone was inspired by the Wepner fight, true, but Stallone also said that he was inspired by the idea of Marciano/Ali. Stallone's impression was that Ali and Marciano would go the distance with eachother, with Ali winning a split decision. However, the similarities between Frazier and Balboa is striking---I think Joe does have an impact on Stallone, as Frazier was in the first movie and almost secured the role of Clubber Lang for the third movie, but was tossed up for Shavers who was replaced by Mr. T
HomicideHenry is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #20
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

The people didnt put the statue there, Sly did. It was a prop for Rocky III, and of couse 4 and 5. And after the filming, they had no were to put the statue.

So it was added to the gallary. Now the statue is not on the steps, so I dont see a real anger over the statue.

Again, Sly and Rocky III paid to have the statue made. It was not the city that did it.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #21
curly
Fastest hands in the West
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by es***boy View Post
Not definitely. Ali, Louis, Holmes, Foreman, Marciano, Johnson. Hard to argue he should be in front of any of them.
Marciano?
curly is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #22
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Marciano?
Marciano has a good arugment to be in the top 5.

Unbeaten Champ.
Clean out his era.
Defended 5 times against the number 1 contender.
Wins over Louis, Walcott, Charles and Moore. Hofers.

Over all, that bad imo.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #23
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Frazier is just talkin' some things so he can hopefully get the studio, city and Stallone to fork over some cabbage........ In fact, Frazier probably deserves a little green from Stallone.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #24
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

The Netherlands are right up there P4P!!!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #25
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Didn't Chucky Wepner try to sue the shit outta Stallone for royalties stemming from the original "Rocky" script / movie????

Wepner has a legitimate claim to being the real inspiration for the '76 film from his '75 title try against Ali in Ohio....... Wepner ALMOST went the distance........... For a rugged dude with limited skills, Chuck Wepner gave Ali a good tussle.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #26
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Rocky deserves a statue before Fraizer to be fair.

Far larger impact on society.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #27
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Didn't Chucky Wepner try to sue the shit outta Stallone for royalties stemming from the original "Rocky" script / movie????

Wepner has a legitimate claim to being the real inspiration for the '76 film from his '75 title try against Ali in Ohio....... Wepner ALMOST went the distance........... For a rugged dude with limited skills, Chuck Wepner gave Ali a good tussle.......

MR.BILL
I remember hearing once before that Wepner had his choice of ongoing royalties or a larger (at the time) lump sum payment, and not believing anything would come of the movie, took the one-time payment. Needless to say, if true, that wasn't exactly the most fiscally fruitful choice.

I can't vouch for how accurate that is because I'm not close enough to get firsthand details, that's just the little gossip I heard about it.
Rock0052 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum