boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #46
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: Name some fighters who actually have a legit clame to being the best of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
How do you know Greb regularly beat Norton-level fighters? How much footage of Greb have you personally seen?

How do you rate Muhammad Ali's resume in comparison with other Heavyweights?
Cause there is actually film of a lot of his opponants.

Loughran, Tunney etc....you can see their quality of them so its safe to assume it took a quality fighter to beat them.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #47
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: Name some fighters who actually have a legit clame to being the best of all time?

Quote:
Well, as I said in another thread, it's late...so excuse me if some things I come out seem a little stupid. Like, "Frazier lost to the two best fighters he faced, whereas Morales beat the best two fighters he faced". On second viewing, I almost felt like quoting myself and responding with the appropriate, "Take up golf". In any event, perhaps I underrate Frazier's credentials, but you don't suppose you're guilty of the same thing regarding Morales?

Chuvalo was no better than an In Jin Chi, just a very very tough fighter. Not much to talk about regarding ability, but his chin and will always kept him in fights, no matter what the level of opposition. That said, I can concede that Frazier does have a case for being higher than Morales, but it's a closely run thing in my judgement. All thing's considered, they both have good resumes, I think Morales was at the top for a little longer, and whereas Frazier has the win over Ali, Morales has the multiple world titles in 3 different weight classes.

What's so impressive about Joe Frazier in your view, Rock?
Yikes..Ill leave it that Addie, we can continue this tommorrow when you are thinking a little sharper
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 AM   #48
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Boxing fans will never be able to definitively answer the question as to who is the GOAT...because there are too many itangibles and subtle shades of gray involved..boxing is not that simple..though it's great fun in arguing about it.
red cobra is online now  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #49
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

vCash: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Boxing fans will never be able to definitively answer the question as to who is the GOAT...because there are too many itangibles and subtle shades of gray involved..boxing is not that simple..though it's great fun in arguing about it.
Damned straight, red cobra. No definitive answer but real fans almost always love to talk about it.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #50
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210

I think its between Robinson, Armstrong and Langford. Greb has a claim to it as well but I dont see hime being as good as the others.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #51
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

Not having Pep in there because he didn't take a title in more than one weight class is something I'm seeing on here and have heard before. Not fair. There's a hell of a lot more to greatness than pounds. p4p doesn't mean how many weights you can fight at. Who says it's necessary to fight at more than one weight to prove your greatness? Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali certainly didn't need to. If you wanted to make it all about weight classes, just call Pacquiao the man and then call it a day. That's not the end all of the discussion though.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8x14b9az1M[/ame]

They count the boxing matches on his fight record, but they neglect to factor in the greatness it took to survive the marriages. Also unfair.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #52
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Not having Pep in there because he didn't take a title in more than one weight class is something I'm seeing on here and have heard before. Not fair. There's a hell of a lot more to greatness than pounds. p4p doesn't mean how many weights you can fight at. Who says it's necessary to fight at more than one weight to prove your greatness? Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali certainly didn't need to. If you wanted to make it all about weight classes, just call Pacquiao the man and then call it a day. That's not the end all of the discussion though.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

They count the boxing matches on his fight record, but they neglect to factor in the greatness it took to survive the marriages. Also unfair.
What the **** are you going on about?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 AM   #53
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
What the **** are you going on about?
Comments like this "Pep was a single-weight champion, that is not the greatest fighter ever by any manner of means IMO. His achievements pale in comparison to those of Henry Armstrong, I can't even envisage a decent argument for having Pep over him, so that rules Willie out in my own rankings."

I think that's pretty clear. I don't think that logic holds. Yep. That's pretty clear, I think.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #54
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
There are only five genuine contenders in my opinion:

Langford, Robinson, Greb, Armstrong and Ezzard Charles.

And Charles is somewhat of an outsider. It's really one of four for me, but I include Charles as I could easily accept someone having him as the GOAT although he wouldn't quite be my choice.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #55
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Above View Post
I think its between Robinson, Armstrong and Langford. Greb has a claim to it as well but I dont see hime being as good as the others.
How come?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #56
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
How do you know Greb regularly beat Norton-level fighters? How much footage of Greb have you personally seen?
C'mon man, you're better than that.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #57
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
C'mon man, you're better than that.
It's a genuine question, Pea.

I personally don't know anything about Greb, so I'm curious as to how great the man was.

Still, Chuvalo was no better a fighter than In Jin Chi was. In my estimation.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #58
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
What about Armstrong then? Considering his achievements (one could argue the greatest achievements of any fighter ever), you don't feel a compelling case can even be made to have him over SRR?
He is 1 of the few that you can make a case for, phenomenal fighter, I still think Robinson has the strongest case of anyone of which there is enough footage tho.

Armstrong shouldnt be seen outside a top 5 tho, no doubt about that.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #59
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
It's a genuine question, Pea.

I personally don't know anything about Greb, so I'm curious as to how great the man was.
The information is all over the internet.

Here's a good article on him I've posted in the past.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #60
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
The information is all over the internet.

Here's a good article on him I've posted in the past.

Secondary sources...it's great, but how about footage?
Addie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum