Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default Roman Romanchuk is now free: will he turn pro?

Boxer Freed in Vladivostok

07 December 2009
Celebrity boxer Roman Romanchuk was freed from custody Friday after a Vladivostok court downgraded an earlier conviction from murder to manslaughter and reduced his sentence, Interfax reported.
The court sentenced Romanchuk to 14 months and 15 days on Thursday, time that he had already served in pre-trail detention, as it ended a retrial ordered after prosecutors and defense lawyers challenged the harsher verdict, which called for an 18-month sentence and was issued in March.
Romanchuk, 30, who helped the Russian team win the 2005 Boxing World Cup, and Vladivostok resident Oleg Meshkov, 22, were both hospitalized after sustaining injuries by Meshkov’s gun during the brawl July 28, 2008. Meshkov died of his injuries.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
kenmore is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roman Romanchuk is now free: will he turn pro?

Awesome post man, i was honestly just thinking about him and was going to make a 'what if' fantasy thread about him vs Klitschko's had he truned pro before this shit happened.

Doesn't he have some sort of damage or injuries from the incident though? In the initial reports i remember reading that he had permanent damage from injuries suffered but later on saw video of him in court and he looked okay.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Romanchuk is the ****ing man. Best Amateur HW imo. Man i hope he is okay and wants to turn Pro. In terms of talent & style he could be brought along even faster than Povetkin was.

KO is at 2:25
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRCUvbx6vy4&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIQE3isT9M[/ame]
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

romanchuk has some fast handz and good footwork but i dont think he is anywhere as good as povetkin

i think the problem with romanchuk is he doesnt hit extra hard and i dont think hiz chin is extra strong

so him get rattled a few timez in the am's

should be fun to see how far he getz though
latineg is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Romanchuck was a great amateur heavyweight. He could in-fight and out fight, target the body or head. He had speed and power, and was very active.

Romanchuck was good enough to beat Solis on a 2-1 margin, and good enough to beat Cammarelle too. He was stopped by a hard punching guy from the Ukraine, then fell apart. I thought he sustained injures that ended his boxing career.

If Romanchuck is healthy, he could make a splash as a pro.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Romanchuck was a great amateur heavyweight. He could in-fight and out fight, target the body or head. He had speed and power, and was very active.

Romanchuck was good enough to beat Solis on a 2-1 margin, and good enough to beat Cammarelle too. He was stopped by a hard punching guy from the Ukraine, then fell apart. I thought he sustained injures that ended his boxing career.

Yeah, great points.

I am willing to bet if that lefthook A-hole from the main forum saw/read this he would say Romanchuk sucked and then call you a racist for saying nice things about a White fighter.
Nosbor is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by latineg View Post
romanchuk has some fast handz and good footwork but i dont think he is anywhere as good as povetkin

i think the problem with romanchuk is he doesnt hit extra hard and i dont think hiz chin is extra strong

so him get rattled a few timez in the am's

should be fun to see how far he getz though
Well i definitely disagree about you saying he doesn't have power, i think Romanchuk does have 1 punch KO power imo. I'v seen 2 fights where he KO's them with essentially a jab.

Power, handspeed, footwork and movement, defense, all better than Povetkin imo plus he's bigger 6'4 and a southpaw.

They're both great at throwing in combinations, although i think Romanchuk uses a wider varity of punches.

I'm not hating on Povetkin, i'm a big fan of his and think he's a very good fighter i just think Romanchuk is better in almost every department.

What fights are you referring to about his chin?

Quote:

Denis Poyatsika, in 06 i think. It's been a couple years since i saw that fight but **** was that an awesome slugfest. That is one fight of Romanchuk's that i don't have on CD that i'm dying to find.

I don't remember alot of specifics though, wasn't he given standing 8 counts or was he actually dropped? I don't remember him getting dropped, not too sure though.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Denis Poyatsika, in 06 i think. It's been a couple years since i saw that fight but **** was that an awesome slugfest. That is one fight of Romanchuk's that i don't have on CD that i'm dying to find.

I don't remember alot of specifics though, wasn't he given standing 8 counts or was he actually dropped? I don't remember him getting dropped, not too sure though.
Romanchuk got into a slugfest and lost. His chin looked like it could be had by a big puncher. I do agree that Romanchuck was a top level talent. He had a knack for bending low and delivering a body shot. We hardly see that punch. If, and its a big if Romanchuck is healthy, I do think he can be as good as Ibragimov or Chagaev, but he has to learn there are time to box and times to slug. In other words RR does not always fight smart.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Romanchuk got into a slugfest and lost. His chin looked like it could be had by a big puncher. I do agree that Romanchuck was a top level talent. He had a knack for bending low and delivering a body shot. We hardly see that punch. If, and its a big if Romanchuck is healthy, I do think he can be as good as Ibragimov or Chagaev, but he has to learn there are time to box and times to slug. In other words RR does not always fight smart.
Completely agree. Against Poyatsika he got into a slugfest and Poyatsika got the best of him. Had he boxed he would have dominated him.

Using the right gameplan would be an important thing that he'd need to stick to. That could be said for anybody though and it is just 1 example of him getting caught up in the moment.

He's just as talented probably even more so than Chagaev & Ibragimov but with his size he'd have more success imo.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Well i definitely disagree about you saying he doesn't have power, i think Romanchuk does have 1 punch KO power imo. I'v seen 2 fights where he KO's them with essentially a jab.

Power, handspeed, footwork and movement, defense, all better than Povetkin imo plus he's bigger 6'4 and a southpaw.

They're both great at throwing in combinations, although i think Romanchuk uses a wider varity of punches.

I'm not hating on Povetkin, i'm a big fan of his and think he's a very good fighter i just think Romanchuk is better in almost every department.

What fights are you referring to about his chin?

he waznt dropped but he got a few standing 8z and he looked like he waz drunk when he got stopped

denis hammered him a few timez so hard roman looked like he coulda got hurt bad if the ref didnt stop the fight

dont get me wrong i think hez a really exciting fighter whoz got some pretty fast handz i just dont think he is gonna be as powerful on the top level scene as you think hez going to be

povotkin i feel is alot tougher then most people give him credit far
latineg is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
he waznt dropped but he got a few standing 8z and he looked like he waz drunk when he got stopped

denis hammered him a few timez so hard roman looked like he coulda got hurt bad if the ref didnt stop the fight

dont get me wrong i think hez a really exciting fighter whoz got some pretty fast handz i just dont think he is gonna be as powerful on the top level scene as you think hez going to be

povotkin i feel is alot tougher then most people give him credit far
I think Povetkin has a very good chin, and very good stamina. What's under rated about Povektin's game is his heart, will, to win and intangibles which will enable him to surivie tough moments, or come back to win a fight.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I think Povetkin has a very good chin, and very good stamina. What's under rated about Povektin's game is his heart, will, to win and intangibles which will enable him to surivie tough moments, or come back to win a fight.
as usual well said mendoza

in those tough moments povetkin seemz to be able to keep a composure

not to harp on romanchuk because im happy and excited that hez turning pro and hope he goes really far BUT roman tendz to loose his composure during the tough momentz ALOT

with that said USUALLY when he loosez his composure his handz and skills are so GOOD that he USUALLY ends up coming out on top. i just think that he will reach a level were fighting this way isnt going to serve him well at the top levelz

in some wayz roman is not unlike vlad used to be when he first turned pro. vlad used to loose his composure WAY to much when he either had a tough moment or had a guy in trouble and would usually just go ballistic. of course because vlad has alwayz been so skilled he could alwayz get away with it because he usually hurt hiz opponent so badly when going ballistic that he would win the fight especially in the short fightz of amatuer boxing. this didnt serve vlad very well in the pro's when vlad finally ran into purrity. as vlad had gone ballistic CONVINCED that he would blast purrity out of there EARLY he totally ****ed himself later in the fight as he literally LEFT nothing in his RESERVE tank for later. finally when vlad didnt have any energy left to fuel his FAST hands and SKILLz purrity could basically eat him for breakfast. same thing happened in the first brewster fight except as brewster waz way more dangerous then purrity it happened way faster. vlad went for BROKE early in the brewster fight convinced he would knock him out and instead of keeping his composure and a back up plan he simply SPENT all his energy in the first 4 or so roundz and when brewster was still somehow standing (my god how was he still standing, lol) vlad was so exhausted he could barely stand himself. finally after meeting sanders and loosing his composure after getting clobbered in round 2 i think vladdy FINALLY CHANGED his fighting style so that he wouldnt go for broke all the time and since that time vladdy has been VERY successful. MAYBE something that roman should consider.
latineg is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I somehow doubt that he is mentally ready to give it a serious try in the paid ranks.He has been out of action for a very long time.Prison bars can change a lot in a man's life.Makes you mentally soft!
Anyway! Like many of my fellow posters here I would love to watch him compete at the pros.He was a outstandingly capable boxer at the amateurs, a very versatile fighter.
I cross my fingers that he takes a leap of faith and gives it a try at the pros,but I somehow doubt that he will be such a wonderful force of power and versatilty as he used to be at the amateurs.
Well,he was always fun to watch due to his entertaining stylel
Odo is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Great point. He's very good in nearly every aspect except perhaps his defense but his chin, physical toughness, mental toughness, and determination/will make up for it.

He doesn't have 1 area in his game where he is clearly special though when it comes to physical talent. I think that's why alot of people underrate him especially if they've only seen a couple fights.

The one area that he does excel at is the stuff that you mentioned and you can't tell that about him if you haven't watched alot of him. That's what makes him so formidable.

Quote:
in some wayz roman is not unlike vlad used to be when he first turned pro. vlad used to loose his composure WAY to much when he either had a tough moment or had a guy in trouble and would usually just go ballistic. of course because vlad has alwayz been so skilled he could alwayz get away with it because he usually hurt hiz opponent so badly when going ballistic that he would win the fight especially in the short fightz of amatuer boxing. this didnt serve vlad very well in the pro's when vlad finally ran into purrity. as vlad had gone ballistic CONVINCED that he would blast purrity out of there EARLY he totally ****ed himself later in the fight as he literally LEFT nothing in his RESERVE tank for later. finally when vlad didnt have any energy left to fuel his FAST hands and SKILLz purrity could basically eat him for breakfast. same thing happened in the first brewster fight except as brewster waz way more dangerous then purrity it happened way faster. vlad went for BROKE early in the brewster fight convinced he would knock him out and instead of keeping his composure and a back up plan he simply SPENT all his energy in the first 4 or so roundz and when brewster was still somehow standing (my god how was he still standing, lol) vlad was so exhausted he could barely stand himself. finally after meeting sanders and loosing his composure after getting clobbered in round 2 i think vladdy FINALLY CHANGED his fighting style so that he wouldnt go for broke all the time and since that time vladdy has been VERY successful. MAYBE something that roman should consider.
I see where you're coming from with the Volodymyr comparision but there is a difference. The gameplan thing is true but with Volodymyr part of his weakness has to do with him being uncomfortable when a "fight" breaks out. (Peter fight)

Punching/gassing themselves out applies to both but Romanchuk has no problem with really "fighting" like Volodymyr does. It's Romanchuk's comfort and seeming enthusiasm for standing toe to toe and aggressiveness that would have to be monitored. Teach him to use his advantages like Volodymyr does rather then prove he can "out tough" people all the time (Tszyu vs Phillips). When it isn't working make sure that he uses his boxing ability instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I somehow doubt that he is mentally ready to give it a serious try in the paid ranks.He has been out of action for a very long time.Prison bars can change a lot in a man's life.Makes you mentally soft!
Anyway! Like many of my fellow posters here I would love to watch him compete at the pros.He was a outstandingly capable boxer at the amateurs, a very versatile fighter.
I cross my fingers that he takes a leap of faith and gives it a try at the pros,but I somehow doubt that he will be such a wonderful force of power and versatilty as he used to be at the amateurs.
Well,he was always fun to watch due to his entertaining stylel
It can break people like you said but at the same time people can come out even stronger and more mentally tough. Remains to be seen how he delt with it.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wasn't he shot in the head? the bullet put a hole in his cranium and stuff like that?

Is he 100% fit to return to boxing?

Anyway, the guy just stayed over a year locked up in prison, probably didn't do much boxing in there, so he would have several months of work just to get himself back in shape to turn pro.

At 30 years old he doesn't have any time to waiste too.

A talent like him, why didn't he turn pro earlier? once he found out he wouldn't go to Beijing, he should have gone pro imediately and saved himself from all this mess.

Is he big enough to fight at HW? maybe he would be better suited for CW.
11player is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum