Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #16
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roman Romanchuk is now free: will he turn pro?

Hey guys, where is Islam Timurziev?

How is he doing?

Any news? Any improvement from his illness?
11player is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Great point. He's very good in nearly every aspect except perhaps his defense but his chin, physical toughness, mental toughness, and determination/will make up for it.

He doesn't have 1 area in his game where he is clearly special though when it comes to physical talent. I think that's why alot of people underrate him especially if they've only seen a couple fights.

The one area that he does excel at is the stuff that you mentioned and you can't tell that about him if you haven't watched alot of him. That's what makes him so formidable.

I see where you're coming from with the Volodymyr comparision but there is a difference. The gameplan thing is true but with Volodymyr part of his weakness has to do with him being uncomfortable when a "fight" breaks out. (Peter fight)

Punching/gassing themselves out applies to both but Romanchuk has no problem with really "fighting" like Volodymyr does. It's Romanchuk's comfort and seeming enthusiasm for standing toe to toe and aggressiveness that would have to be monitored. Teach him to use his advantages like Volodymyr does rather then prove he can "out tough" people all the time (Tszyu vs Phillips). When it isn't working make sure that he uses his boxing ability instead.

It can break people like you said but at the same time people can come out even stronger and more mentally tough. Remains to be seen how he delt with it.
yes i agree it waz not a exact comparison and therefore not exact

i hope he does really well as i have followed him since the ams for many yearz as i really enjoy the amatuer boxing scene and he has been at the top of that level for many yearz

before the fight with the unkranian guy that belt him around a little too much i watched him in some amatuar tournement where he ran the table and won the gold or top medal, in a few of his fights he simply dominated pretty good boxerz

great handz he has and pretty mobile for such a tall guy
latineg is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Romanchuk was injured through the tournament when Poyatsika beat him, although he does have a tendancy to enjoy fighting too much and not use his reach against sluggers (similar situation in the Russian nationals against Chakhiev). That said I think he is a much more talented and complete boxer than Chakhiev and think he would make a better pro. Whoever said he's not powerful is very wrong. Romanchuk has legit, one punch KO power. He is a very heavy handed boxer from both hands that doesnt need to rely on accumulation.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
skier47
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Nobody has yet addressed the essential question. Did the shooting injury permanently disable him to the point where he can no longer compete in prizefighting or has he made a full recovery? I hope he can turn pro; good power and above average boxing talent with a great amatuer pedigree makes Romanchuk a fascinating prospect and he seems to have that Mike Tyson wildness to his personality that could really attract the fans.
skier47 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #20
boxeo#1
Boxer-Puncher
ESB Addict

vCash: 4511

Awesome amateur heavy he was. Great jab and upper body movement.

That score at the end of his bout with the Cuban! 47-64 I never seen that before in my life Not even at the lower weights!

BTW.: In the first vid he doesn't knock the guy out with a jab at all, it's a (right) hook.
boxeo#1 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #21
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxeo#1 View Post
Awesome amateur heavy he was. Great jab and upper body movement.

That score at the end of his bout with the Cuban! 47-64 I never seen that before in my life Not even at the lower weights!

BTW.: In the first vid he doesn't knock the guy out with a jab at all, it's a (right) hook.
I'm pretty sure that Korobov vs Despaigne had a score like that, might have even been from the same tournament, World Cup 05 in Russia i think
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tall, quick handed southpaw with a good power in his punches, almost sounds like Corrie Sanders, although I suspect Romanchuk's attention to fitness and more rounded boxing skills could take him far if he isn't limited by age, lack of pro experience ( which might not be that bad considering his international amateur experience and style ) and of course the injuries.

I believe there was another great fighter named Orzubek Nabarov, or something like that, from Kyrgastan whose career was cut short by a gunshot wound.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

So, is he turning pro or not?

I guess he doesn't have any time to lose anymore.
11player is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #24
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

He has speed and power and I can see he has the tools to be a good pro. His age may be a factor but he can make a lot of money turning pro
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #25
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Last I heard (when he came out of jail) he was doing some medical checks on his head to see if a return to boxing is actually feasible, and it will take a while in any case for him to get back into form. From an amateur standpoint, Khromov is back as head coach of the national team and he regarded Romanchuk more highly than Lebziak. On the other hand, he would have very strong competition from Mekhontsev. I would go pro if I were him, provided obviously that he's capable of doing so - would be very exciting to watch.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #26
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier47 View Post
Nobody has yet addressed the essential question. Did the shooting injury permanently disable him to the point where he can no longer compete in prizefighting or has he made a full recovery? I hope he can turn pro; good power and above average boxing talent with a great amatuer pedigree makes Romanchuk a fascinating prospect and he seems to have that Mike Tyson wildness to his personality that could really attract the fans.
I disagree with this. Romanchuk isn't some rapist, moron, degenerate. Is your only reason for saying that due to the gun incident? That was complete self defense and he had the good sense to try to avoid a confrontation (for several minutes) until that gangster wannabe dumbass finally ended up shooting him for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
Last I heard (when he came out of jail) he was doing some medical checks on his head to see if a return to boxing is actually feasible, and it will take a while in any case for him to get back into form. From an amateur standpoint, Khromov is back as head coach of the national team and he regarded Romanchuk more highly than Lebziak. On the other hand, he would have very strong competition from Mekhontsev. I would go pro if I were him, provided obviously that he's capable of doing so - would be very exciting to watch.
Well you pretty much summed up everything i was going to say. I read a recent interview where he said he'd like to return but has to see first if he can return to the necessary fitness level. Hope he can get back in top form and turn pro.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #27
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Romanchuk has announced his return to amateur boxing, where he plans to move up and competed at superheavyweight. His first tornament will be the Russian nationals in September, and then he said his dream is to win a gold medal at the London olympics at superheavy.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #28
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Romanchuk has announced his return to amateur boxing, where he plans to move up and competed at superheavyweight. His first tornament will be the Russian nationals in September, and then he said his dream is to win a gold medal at the London olympics at superheavy.
Sometimes broke people look for boxing as a way out. I think Romanchuck is wise to try amatuer boxing again to get his form back, but he should go pro in 2011.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #29
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
So i assume he's been training and sparring and feels that he's physically capable? Has there been any news on how he has looked so far?

Great news, if he can get back to the level he was at before i would also like to see him have gone pro rather than stay Amateur but either way i'm just happy to see he fighting again. I hope he has much success.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #30
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Apparently Khromov, the head coach of the national team, has invited him back to national central trainings, however, has not yet put him in sparring while he gets back to form. In a recent interview, Khromov said: "there's no clear leader at superheavyweight. Romanchuk still needs to prove himself in the ring."

The Romanchuk of before was many levels above the likes of Sergeev etc., and I hope he'll be able to return to that level and take the number 1 spot. Interesting that he opted to move up from 91-. He would have had to face the new top guy there - world champion Mekhontsev.
avk47 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum