Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Who was greater between RJJ and Sweet Pea?
I say Jones, definitely 5 15.15%
I say Jones, probably but it's debatable 4 12.12%
I say Whitaker, definitely 16 48.48%
I say Whitaker, probably but it's debatable 4 12.12%
Could go either way, I'm not sure enough to say 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, Esperantia
Posts: 24,960
vCash: 26664
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Freddie Pendleton and Alfredo Layne for Pea. But yeah, the 'context' is what swings it Whitaker's way for me, becuase it involves the names Chavez, DLH and Ramirez.

Fixed, thanks. I didn't remember Layne and as for Pendleton, no wonder I forgot about him, he got the short end on so many decisions I looked right past his rough record on Whitaker's boxrec page. 24-16-3 when he fought Pea. Guy ended up 47-26-5 by his finish.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #17
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Fixed, thanks. I didn't remember Layne and as for Pendleton, no wonder I forgot about him, he got the short end on so many decisions I looked right past his rough record on Whitaker's boxrec page. 24-16-3 when he fought Pea. Guy ended up 47-26-5 by his finish.
Freddie actually gave Pete one of his most competitive lightweight scraps. He exemplifies the 'can't judge a boxer by their win-loss record' saying.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, Esperantia
Posts: 24,960
vCash: 26664
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Freddie actually gave Pete one of his most competitive lightweight scraps. He exemplifies the 'can't judge a boxer by their win-loss record' saying.
Indeed. I remember when they asked Floyd Mayweather about the good workout Emmanuel Augustus put Mayweather through and Mayweather said Augustus was like Freddie.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Whitaker was greater, but not by much.
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Whitaker definitely. He fought much consistently better competition, his performances against Chavez, Nelson, and Vasquez were as big as any wins Jones had, he cleaned out his weight classes more thoroughly, and his losses generally weren't anywhere near as embarrassing as Jones'. The only thing Jones did that Whitaker didn't was beat a fighter with a 30 or so pound weight advantage in the ring. Overall, I don't see much of an argument for Jones here.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #21
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,035
vCash: 418
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Sweet Pea. Better boxer, better defence, better chin, better resume. His performance past prime against De La Hoya was amazing. Nothing against Jones who was spectacular but Sweet Pea was just pure class.
essexboy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #22
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Jones. he had the better tools
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #23
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Jones. he had the better tools
You mean steroids?
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #24
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
You mean steroids?
All kidding aside, Jones was probably outweighed by 20-30 pounds in most of his LH bouts. He couldnt afford to make any mistakes because he was basically getting hit by a heavyweight come fight time, and some of the guys he faced were good punchers. It wasnt just the Ruiz fight, it was alot of his fights at LH as well.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #25
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,630
vCash: 166
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
All kidding aside, Jones was probably outweighed by 20-30 pounds in most of his LH bouts. He couldnt afford to make any mistakes because he was basically getting hit by a heavyweight come fight time, and some of the guys he faced were good punchers. It wasnt just the Ruiz fight, it was alot of his fights at LH as well.
I dont think so mate.

But he wasnt big for the weight thats for sure. I think the fact he made 170 quite comfortably in his late 30's is testament to that.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #26
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
I dont think so mate.

But he wasnt big for the weight thats for sure. I think the fact he made 170 quite comfortably in his late 30's is testament to that.
Fair enough most is probably pushing it. Maybe Ill do some searching on the net to see what fight time weights were. I know when he fought Telesco who looked much bigger than him in the ring, he was 183 to Telesco's 185, and they had Telesco listed an inch taller, but just looking at the two Telesco looks much bigger physically. I know Tarver was well over 200 when he hit training camp.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #27
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Fair enough most is probably pushing it. Maybe Ill do some searching on the net to see what fight time weights were. I know when he fought Telesco who looked much bigger than him in the ring, he was 183 to Telesco's 185, and they had Telesco listed an inch taller, but just looking at the two Telesco looks much bigger physically. I know Tarver was well over 200 when he hit training camp.
Were half of those bigger opponents also B level fighters? Yes...yes they were.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #28
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,630
vCash: 166
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Guys like Telesco ,Hall and Tarver were bigger physically for sure. Glenn Kelly was a stocky build for the weight.


But he did fight a lot of guys coming up from middle in his early reign. I wouldnt say guys like Otis Griffin, Reggie Johnson and McCallum were bigger then him. Same goes for Glenn Johnson.

I think its pretty clear he needed the roids to maintain that size. Thats part of the reason why Im fairly confident about picking a couple of guys over him at the weight.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #29
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Were half of those bigger opponents also B level fighters? Yes...yes they were.
Most were, Yes, but the point is, there is less margin for error. If you get nailed by one of those guys its over. If you fight 20 B level fighters over the course of 12 rounds, theres a pretty good chance of getting nailed now isnt there? THe fact Jones was able to fight those guys at such a physical disadvantage is pretty impressive. Given the level of comp at that time throughout 60-68, what else could he have done, he didnt have the name opponents like Pea did, so the next best thing is to move up where there is some sort of challenge. I dont think he was moving up to avoid Bernard Hopkins..
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #30
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr or Pernell Whitaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Guys like Telesco ,Hall and Tarver were bigger physically for sure. Glenn Kelly was a stocky build for the weight.


But he did fight a lot of guys coming up from middle in his early reign. I wouldnt say guys like Otis Griffin, Reggie Johnson and McCallum were bigger then him. Same goes for Glenn Johnson.

I think its pretty clear he needed the roids to maintain that size. Thats part of the reason why Im fairly confident about picking a couple of guys over him at the weight.
You think he did roids at LH?
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013