Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 AM   #16
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rey
I give my 80 year old great grandmother a chance against Valuev, so yeah Bergeron has chance.
I would hate to get in fight with your grandmother then, Valuev is a ****ing monster.
box03 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 AM   #17
Nico
hi.
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 479
vCash: 704
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

I don't understand how Valuev is favored by such a huge margin though. A 30-1 favorite? I don't think I've ever seen such lopsided odds for a fight.
Nico is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:01 AM   #18
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
I don't understand how Valuev is favored by such a huge margin though. A 30-1 favorite? I don't think I've ever seen such lopsided odds for a fight.
Tyson against Douglas, I think the odds were 300 to 1 in begining and came down before the fight. People were betting on what round Tyson was going to knock Douglas, no one even considered Tyson losing
box03 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 AM   #19
Nico
hi.
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 479
vCash: 704
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by box03
Tyson against Douglas, I think the odds were 300 to 1 in begining and came down before the fight. People were betting on what round Tyson was going to knock Douglas, no one even considered Tyson losing

I was just talking about what I've seen since I became a huge fan, around '95. And I only started paying attention to betting lines fairly recently, within the last couple of years.
Nico is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 AM   #20
Maxime
Sweet Science
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 171
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Wow - that's some serious combined ugliness right there.....
Even Roy Jones would have a "Granite chin" if he was getting hit by guys 100 lbs lighter then him.

Maxime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:04 AM   #21
Rick G
Casual Fan
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 201
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Valuev only can be beaten if
- his opponent is a very accurate boxer who scores constantly
- his opponent has a good defense, a hell of a chin and a big heart
- his opponent can run the Marathon like Valuev can
- the judges score every hit of the opponent regardless whether it had some effect or not
- the ref ignores all lowblows of the opponent
- the ref gives a warning or point reduction for every accidental rabbit punch of Valuev

Too many ifs...
Rick G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:12 AM   #22
Rick G
Casual Fan
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 201
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Valuev promised a "new Valuev". I am curious to see what his new trainer has changed. They tried to work on movement and boxing skills. I think Bergeron is a good enough to test some new strategies under real life conditions - something like an open sparring.

For Bergeron there is nothing to loose. OK he will loose his undefeated record, but finally he has a name in his record. So if he looks good in the starting rounds, and does not get psychologic problems after the TKO his marketability will increase - see McCline.
Rick G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:09 AM   #23
Stickandmove
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,354
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
I don't understand how Valuev is favored by such a huge margin though. A 30-1 favorite? I don't think I've ever seen such lopsided odds for a fight.
Amir Khan and Kermit Cintron are also 30-1 favorites in their next fights.
Stickandmove is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:11 AM   #24
Stickandmove
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,354
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G
Valuev only can be beaten if
- his opponent is a very accurate boxer who scores constantly
- his opponent has a good defense, a hell of a chin and a big heart
- his opponent can run the Marathon like Valuev can
- the judges score every hit of the opponent regardless whether it had some effect or not
- the ref ignores all lowblows of the opponent
- the ref gives a warning or point reduction for every accidental rabbit punch of Valuev

Too many ifs...
Can Wlad (with his shaky chin) beat Valuev then? It will be weird seeing Wlad dwarfed in the ring in any case.

For his size, Valuev is a pretty pathetic puncher though, no? Wlad would win an easy UD in my opinion.
Stickandmove is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:45 AM   #25
unclepaulie
Run like an antelope!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 541
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

I really hope Valuev fights Wlad and gets knocked out. He is so boring to watch. A guy whos seven feet tall 300 plus pounds, he should be tearing through his opponents, not using an impossibly long jab and cross to coast his way to victories. what a joke.
unclepaulie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #26
Feiti
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iceland
Posts: 657
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by box03
I cant see Valuev losing to this guy, I think Valuev will be in the ring with Wlad late next year it was already in the works before Chagaev beat him.
How do you know this?
Feiti is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #27
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,314
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

I've never seen Bergeron fight. I've been fortunate. But I know for a fact that they wouldn't bring him to Germany if he was any threat to Valuev. The undefeated record is what the promoters use to make us believe that this is a legitimate opponent. We know better and yes, those are 2 ugly mother****ers.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #28
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 300
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Bergeron is horrendous, he has as much chance as a gnat flying to the moon in an hour.. Bet the whole purse on Valuev..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #29
The Cyborg
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On Earth
Posts: 39
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G
Valuev promised a "new Valuev". I am curious to see what his new trainer has changed. They tried to work on movement and boxing skills. I think Bergeron is a good enough to test some new strategies under real life conditions - something like an open sparring.

For Bergeron there is nothing to loose. OK he will loose his undefeated record, but finally he has a name in his record. So if he looks good in the starting rounds, and does not get psychologic problems after the TKO his marketability will increase - see McCline.
Good comment.
The Cyborg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #30
The Cyborg
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On Earth
Posts: 39
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone gives Bergeron a chance againts Valuev?

I think if the improvements were very obvious in this fight, I think Valuev will easily get his title back, and will be a threat to Wlad and Peter.
The Cyborg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013