cotto20 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Genaro Hernandez

Heard he had no Amateur background is that true? also remember back in the early 90's when oscar turned pro there was talk of him fighting genaro on is debut! that would of been was bad ass debut for the golden boy. One thing though hernandez was a great super featherweight

Last edited by cotto20; 12-08-2009 at 06:16 PM.
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by iran barkley View Post
Heard he had no Amateur background is that true? also remember back in the early 90's when oscar turned pro there was talk of him fighting genaro on is debut! that would of been was bad ass debut for the golden boy. One thing though hernandez was a great super featherweight dont think he even lost at the weight
I'd love to bet he first one to give you some insight Iran, but Genaro is a fighter I haven't seen much off. He did lose at 130lbs though, in a fairly competitive fight with Floyd Mayweather. That would be his last fight. Maybe this thread has inspired me to have a deeper look at Hernandez.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was a good solid pro.A standup technician that did most things competently without having many standout attributes.A notch or two below an Esparragoza, say.

Out of his depth against bigger DLH and was notcieably slower and past his best by the time he lost to Floyd.Not that he would ever have won.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I'd love to bet he first one to give you some insight Iran, but Genaro is a fighter I haven't seen much off. He did lose at 130lbs though, in a fairly competitive fight with Floyd Mayweather. That would be his last fight. Maybe this thread has inspired me to have a deeper look at Hernandez.
Av notice your a big fan of mexican fighters so you should try and watch some hernandez fights
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Watch Guty Espadas first
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by iran barkley View Post
Av notice your a big fan of mexican fighters so you should try and watch some hernandez fights
Strictly coincidence mate. Mexican fighters just seem to have all the attributes I most admire. Some people think I'm a closet Mexican lol.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
EleventhHour
Got Dat Black & Gold Soul
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2501

People tend to cite Hernandez as one of PBF's most important victories so I'd love to hear what more people on the Classic Forum have to say about him.

You guys are much smarter.
EleventhHour is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I saw a lot of Genaro in the early 90's. These guys are selling him a bit short. He was a very well-rounded fighter. Tight defense, good jab, hard hooks, a bit of creativity at times. He wasn't a great KO guy but was still punishing. About a third of his fights were title fights. He defended somewhere around 12 times over two reigns (too lazy to look it up). His two losses were to the much younger and bigger de la Hoya and to the very much younger and bigger Mayweather when Genaro was used up. Had he the managerial guile of a Mayweather, he could have easily retired undefeated (though lighter in the wallet).
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Good, solid titleholder who is mainly remembered (perhaps unfairly) for saying "No mas" against two legends-in-the-making. His biggest/best win was his decision victory over Azumah Nelson, who was nearing 40 years old but still a champion and considered dangerous.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleventhHour View Post
People tend to cite Hernandez as one of PBF's most important victories so I'd love to hear what more people on the Classic Forum have to say about him.
He was generally considered worn out by the time Mayweather got to him and ready to be taken.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Good, solid titleholder who is mainly remembered (perhaps unfairly) for saying "No mas" against two legends-in-the-making. His biggest/best win was his decision victory over Azumah Nelson, who was nearing 40 years old but still a champion and considered dangerous.
Oh yes, no mas all right. He had a horribly broken nose against Hoya which he had before even taking the fight, suffered against Mosely in sparring.

Vasquez is a quitter for what he did in the first Marquez fight, with the same injury, right?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
He was a good solid pro.A standup technician that did most things competently without having many standout attributes.A notch or two below an Esparragoza, say.

Out of his depth against bigger DLH and was notcieably slower and past his best by the time he lost to Floyd.Not that he would ever have won.
Could he very well be one of the first of the stand up Mexican technicians?
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Vasquez is a quitter for what he did in the first Marquez fight, with the same injury, right?
I don't know, I never saw that fight.

I don't know why you bring up random irrelevant fights when another fight is being discussed, either.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Saddens me to read about Genaro. Spoke with him when i learned he had a rare neck and brain cancer. He recognized the battle he was in, but he was the same gentleman he's always been, and his only thoughts were for his wife and two young kids.

He's a credit to the game.
john garfield is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum