Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
shommel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default question bout louis vs buddy baer fight....

just finished watchig it and saw louis knocked through the ropes in the first then joe sets out to annihalate buddy. my question is, is that does anyone believe joe should have been disqualified for knocking the shit out of buddy AFTER the bell rang?I heard it clearly and joe smoked him. yet they disqualified buddy for not coming out for the next round. any comments on this unusual event? joe was clearly winning but with a disqualifcation of louis the course of the heavyweight championship might have been dramatically changed in the history of boxing.
shommel is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
shommel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: question bout louis vs buddy baer fight....

really looking for some feedback here.
shommel is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Buddy caught lightning in a bottle dropping Joe the way he did, then Louis beat the crap out of him. He wasn't going to be handed the title on a disqualification with the stench of Schmeling-Sharkey I still fresh in everybody's nostrils. That outcome hurt the sport tremendously, and Corbett proclaimed that boxing would never recover from the smear. There was no question of the HW Title changing hands on another DQ so soon after. No one was going to buy Buddy as champion, anymore than they later regarded Montell Griffin as a legitimate conquerer of RJJ.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Okay Shommel, if you tell me that you were ringside very close to the timekeeper I will take your word that you heard the bell. No one in the ring Baer, Louis or the referee heard the bell at that time. The bell you hear now whe you watch the film is put on the tape afterwards..
But if you actally were at ringside and heard the bell all those years ago, I believe you.

Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
shommel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

ok woller i can buy that but if you watch the film the handlers were already in the ring to recieve their fighters when joe absolutley smoked buddy.im quite sure im not blind. they may have added the bell chime but i can see the people in the ring to get their fighters back to their respective corners. there is even a colored guy walking from the opposite side of the ring in a suit with a big fedora on to joes corner just after joe hits him. the guy was already in the ring like baers handlers and louis handlers.they all heard the bell.
shommel is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shommel View Post
ok woller i can buy that but if you watch the film the handlers were already in the ring to recieve their fighters when joe absolutley smoked buddy.im quite sure im not blind. they may have added the bell chime but i can see the people in the ring to get their fighters back to their respective corners. there is even a colored guy walking from the opposite side of the ring in a suit with a big fedora on to joes corner just after joe hits him. the guy was already in the ring like baers handlers and louis handlers.they all heard the bell.
The sqawk from Baers corner was because,1. Louis was late with his punch and,2. Louis's idiot friend, came into the ring , while the fight was in progress ,which could have merited a dsq,as happened to Corbett against Sharkey years previously.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Imira
Vespertine...

Location: "A fighter should be able to employ a strategy of his choice and get a fair decision."

To me, this is a case of one fighter being close to knocking his opponent out and getting too eager. Maybe Joe heard the bell, maybe he didn't. Since my copy doesn't have the actual sounds from the arena, I can only assume by the body language of the referee and the fighters that the bell sounded, but the blow came a split second afterwards. The referee responded as best he as he could.

Off subject a bit. Does anyone notice that Buddy used his knee to force Joe out of the ring during the famous "Ring Out"?
Imira is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
really looking for some feedback here.
Purely elementary......... Bud Baer was a hulk who was strong and powerful, but lacked skill and defense....... Bud Baer was a hard-punching lummox....... I have BOTH fights 1 & 2 on tape with Joe Louis in circa 1941 / '42...... Baer was easy to hit and he got nailed too often by all the serious leather Louis threw......... "Louis vs. Bud Baer" was more of the same with Louis' fight with older bro Max in 1935......... Skill won over toughness......... Neither 'Baer' brother had / owned much skill......... Power and size was their assets.......... Joe Louis saw and ate right through all that...........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

2 versions of this fight I have,

One with the sound added, I belive later, highlights.

And of couse the other version, with out the bell. I think I take the version with out the bell as a clue. It seems the fight film didnt catch the bell, the crowd was pretty noisy.

So the best I can assume, is neither did the fighters hear the bell.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Max Schmeling hit Louis after the bell (perhaps criticaly) in their first fight.

Should Schmeling have been DQd for that?

The loosers will always question the poceedings.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
my question is, is that does anyone believe joe should have been disqualified for knocking the shit out of buddy AFTER the bell rang?
No, just like no one at the time thought he should've.

However, if anything was going to done, it should've been that maybe Baer was given time to recover from the accidental foul before being instructed to continue.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
2 versions of this fight I have,

One with the sound added, I belive later, highlights.

And of couse the other version, with out the bell. I think I take the version with out the bell as a clue. It seems the fight film didnt catch the bell, the crowd was pretty noisy.

So the best I can assume, is neither did the fighters hear the bell.
The highlight version has the bell added afterward - and not even at the moment the bell actually rang.

In the real version, with the original sound, the bell can be heard ever so faintly a second or two before the final punch. No one in the ring heard the bell. Right after the bell rang (as Baer was rising from the second KD) the ref actually signaled for both fighters to resume fighting, which they did. The ref only realized that the bell had rung after cornermen from both sides jumped into the ring - by which time Louis had already landed the final punch.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm gonna review my two tapes of Louis and Bud Baer..........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
Imira
Vespertine...

Location: "A fighter should be able to employ a strategy of his choice and get a fair decision."

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
The highlight version has the bell added afterward - and not even at the moment the bell actually rang.

In the real version, with the original sound, the bell can be heard ever so faintly a second or two before the final punch. No one in the ring heard the bell. Right after the bell rang (as Baer was rising from the second KD) the ref actually signaled for both fighters to resume fighting, which they did. The ref only realized that the bell had rung after cornermen from both sides jumped into the ring - by which time Louis had already landed the final punch.
Interesting...
Imira is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post

Going to rewatch the real version and see if I can pick up the sound later. If its there, perhaps I can hear it.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum