Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #16
haglerforever
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Great white north
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

rooster you got to be kidding me.I am no leonard fan ,but prime vs prime camocho & norris were not in his class not even close....
haglerforever is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: out preaching for the church of benn
Posts: 6,696
vCash: 1054
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

hagler may of won if the fight had gone fifteen but the odds in one way were against hagler to get a decision. as long as leonard kept it close i believe leonard was always going to get the decision he was to much of a media idol/darling not to
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by haglerforever View Post
rooster you got to be kidding me.I am no leonard fan ,but prime vs prime camocho & norris were not in his class not even close....
Ignore him, you will learn that his views on SRL are the most delusional of anyone that ever lived.

He ranked SRL about no49 on his fkd up list.... that alone tells you the boy is not at all well.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #19
Boxing Girl
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 3 time Award winning Boxing radio show hostess. Follow me at Twitter @JennaOnTheRopes
Posts: 5,709
vCash: 100
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by haglerforever View Post
had bad feeling about this for years,I think Yes,hagler was not on his game that night but leonard would only fight in short bursts & then run.leonard was slowing down and hagler would haved KO`d sugar if there had not been unfortunate deaths and 15 shortened to 12 .any thoughts gents...??
I asked Hagler how he thought the rounds played a difference in the fight...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVCdA3MAdE[/ame]
Boxing Girl is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Addie. Don't even respond to Rooster. He gets more attention than anyone else on here due to his crazy remarks that are so wide of the mark that he must be biased or winding people up. Just ignore him.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by haglerforever View Post
rooster you got to be kidding me.I am no leonard fan ,but prime vs prime camocho & norris were not in his class not even close....
That's what I thought at first but reviewing some of his fights I reconsidered.

Nobody expects struggles from the likes of Howard or lalonde either but they did happen. I didnt expect a slapper like Geraldo to do what he did to leonard, sending him careening backwards towards. If not for the ropes he would have flown out of the ring

Ray's chin was, how shall we say, not the best you could ask for. A jolting shot from pretty much anyone would cause him major problems. ESBers have a problem understanding this.

speed seemed to be a real problem for Sugar so he rarely ever took a fight against an opponent that had any. he shined against the likes of Green and Finch but seemed to founder when it came to Norris and frankly, I felt embarassed for him.

How would they ever explain this in the upcoming Sport's Illustrated? They didnt

Anyways, if you have to pursue a career in remedial boxing, there's probably something wrong with you
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #22
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by haglerforever View Post
had bad feeling about this for years,I think Yes,hagler was not on his game that night but leonard would only fight in short bursts & then run.leonard was slowing down and hagler would haved KO`d sugar if there had not been unfortunate deaths and 15 shortened to 12 .any thoughts gents...??
There is a possibility that Marvin would've kayoed Ray in a fifteen rounder, but knowing Ray, he definitely would be prepared for that distance.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #23
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, Esperantia
Posts: 24,956
vCash: 26664
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
That's what I thought at first but reviewing some of his fights I reconsidered.

Nobody expects struggles from the likes of Howard or lalonde either but they did happen. I didnt expect a slapper like Geraldo to do what he did to leonard, sending him careening backwards towards. If not for the ropes he would have flown out of the ring

Ray's chin was, how shall we say, not the best you could ask for. A jolting shot from pretty much anyone would cause him major problems. ESBers have a problem understanding this.

speed seemed to be a real problem for Sugar so he rarely ever took a fight against an opponent that had any. he shined against the likes of Green and Finch but seemed to founder when it came to Norris and frankly, I felt embarassed for him.

How would they ever explain this in the upcoming Sport's Illustrated? They didnt

Anyways, if you have to pursue a career in remedial boxing, there's probably something wrong with you
With Norris, he was eleven pounds under what he weighed against Lalonde and Norris was about ten years younger. Prior to Norris in 91, Leonard hadn't fought that low in 6-7 years. Come on now, be fair.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #24
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of England
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
hagler may of won if the fight had gone fifteen but the odds in one way were against hagler to get a decision. as long as leonard kept it close i believe leonard was always going to get the decision he was to much of a media idol/darling not to
Correct bizzness is bizzness a las vegas decision was always on the cards here, i recall a vegas cabbie telling me that, who's best for vegas win's in vegas & we've had all we can get out of hagler!! who'd he fight next!!! he's done with here!!! SRL is the draw & he'll get the bums on seats er present company accepted sir & that'll be $22.00 but you can make it a round $40.00 if you wish
duranimal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #25
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
That's what I thought at first but reviewing some of his fights I reconsidered.

Nobody expects struggles from the likes of Howard or lalonde either but they did happen. I didnt expect a slapper like Geraldo to do what he did to leonard, sending him careening backwards towards. If not for the ropes he would have flown out of the ring

Ray's chin was, how shall we say, not the best you could ask for. A jolting shot from pretty much anyone would cause him major problems. ESBers have a problem understanding this.

speed seemed to be a real problem for Sugar so he rarely ever took a fight against an opponent that had any. he shined against the likes of Green and Finch but seemed to founder when it came to Norris and frankly, I felt embarassed for him.

How would they ever explain this in the upcoming Sport's Illustrated? They didnt

Anyways, if you have to pursue a career in remedial boxing, there's probably something wrong with you
Let's be fair. I'm no fan of Leonard,but I did appreciate his boxing skills. He was shot by the time he got to Terry Norris.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #26
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
Correct bizzness is bizzness a las vegas decision was always on the cards here, i recall a vegas cabbie telling me that, who's best for vegas win's in vegas & we've had all we can get out of hagler!! who'd he fight next!!! he's done with here!!! SRL is the draw & he'll get the bums on seats er present company accepted sir & that'll be $22.00 but you can make it a round $40.00 if you wish
it was for the good of the sport. Nobody really wanted Hagler around to begin with
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #27
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
it was for the good of the sport. Nobody really wanted Hagler around to begin with
Leonard won the fight...inside the ring.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #28
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Let's be fair. I'm no fan of Leonard,but I did appreciate his boxing skills. He was shot by the time he got to Terry Norris.
SG, my take on it was different. Put the pieces of the picture together-his problems against TH in his role as a boxer, the suspicious layoffs and comebacks, the selection of opponents for his comeback including Lalonde, the avoidance of quality name fighters, namely Nunn, and it all becomes clear: he couldnt handle an opponent whom he would have been forced to take the fight to.

34 or not, he was far from shot. You dont become shot by dominating Duran the way he did

I'm not knocking him, it just happened to be a stylistic weakness of his which I spoke of after his fight with Hagler.

The perfect example of this is his back to back fights with Duran & Norris. Look what happens when presented with different styles of opponent, one man a plodder the other, a speedster-fast and athletic.

Contrast how he fares against the two styles: In the first he shined, toying with another frustrated opponent, winning every round and in the second he gets shown up by another speedster. I strongly suspected he'd have problems and most likely wind up hurt.

It all boils down to styles. Ray had just never fought anyone with his particular style and in the end couldnt handle it as I had been saying.

I certainly can't award him something he doesnt deserve like fighter of the 80s if he cant handle a stern test

I really can't respect a man that comes out of retirement just for scraps (Hagler)

A win over Micheal Nunn would have made a believer out of me, then he would actually deserve his title of fighter of the decade. People like Bill Butcher are way too anxious to push his name through.

A much better choice would be Hagler who was the much more proven fighter.
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #29
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Leonard won the fight...inside the ring.
I'm glad you feel that way. Now all you have to do is convince the rest of us.

Close but no cigar
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #30
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,296
vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

I have always thought he would have. (Hagler would have defeated Leonard over 15, that is)
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013