Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #31
GladiatoR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1586
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

Hagler never lost.

GladiatoR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #32
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
With Norris, he was eleven pounds under what he weighed against Lalonde and Norris was about ten years younger. Prior to Norris in 91, Leonard hadn't fought that low in 6-7 years. Come on now, be fair.
I am being fair. Leonard was well above his best weight for lalonde. This was not his normal weight and far from his best and had come down to 160 for his next two fights. Even that was too high as the extra speed just slowed him down. 154 was more like it

Also remember Leonard had not lost a fight in 11 years and for people to complain there was something wrong with the man is madness

None of the fans or the crtics gave Terry a chance at winning but TNT Norris did one better than Leonard the night he upset Hagler by DOMINATING

It's true that Leonard was washed up in the Camacho fight but then so was Camacho so it all evens out. p4p, Hector was just better and he knocked him out because he wasnt playing games in there. Give the man his due, he was a great champion
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #33
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
I am being fair. Leonard was well above his best weight for lalonde. This was not his normal weight and far from his best and had come down to 160 for his next two fights. Even that was too high as the extra speed just slowed him down. 154 was more like it

Also remember Leonard had not lost a fight in 11 years and for people to complain there was something wrong with the man is madness

None of the fans or the crtics gave Terry a chance at winning but TNT Norris did one better than Leonard the night he upset Hagler by DOMINATING

It's true that Leonard was washed up in the Camacho fight but then so was Camacho so it all evens out. p4p, Hector was just better and he knocked him out because he wasnt playing games in there. Give the man his due, he was a great champion
...Clown.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #34
Danny
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Its well known Hagler wanted 15 rounds but Leonard would not committ to that. Therefore, that would suggest Ray was concerned about those three championship rounds.

We cannot say for sure, but I'd be inclined to believe Hagler would have got the stoppage or he would have done enough to get the decision!
Danny is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #35
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Clown.
Don't be a bad sport; they're your words when applied to Hagler in his fight with Sugar Ray. Take a look, it's on the first page of this thread. I was just pointing out the smilarities: unbeaten in 11 years, and none of the press gave him a chance.

I think it's a little harder to justify Leonard's loss tho than Hagler's since with Hagler the loss can rightfully be disputed. Norris just plain kicked his ass!

I'll tell you what it was: it was the speed that did him in!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #36
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

it looks like Leonard isnt the only fighter that can claim a miraculous, historic upset
Old 12-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #37
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Don't be a bad sport; they're your words when applied to Hagler in his fight with Sugar Ray. Take a look, it's on the first page of this thread. I was just pointing out the smilarities: unbeaten in 11 years, and none of the press gave him a chance.

I think it's a little harder to justify Leonard's loss tho than Hagler's since with Hagler the loss can rightfully be disputed. Norris just plain kicked his ass!

I'll tell you what it was: it was the speed that did him in!!!
Leonard was washed up when he met china chin Norris.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #38
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Leonard was washed up when he met china chin Norris.
Leonard hadnt lost a fight in 11 years. The press and fans gave Norris no chance and for anyone to say otherwise is madness
Old 12-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #39
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Leonard hadnt lost a fight in 11 years. The press and fans gave Norris no chance and for anyone to say otherwise is madness
Hadn't lost a fight in 11 years? Hagler hadn't lost a fight for 11 years either prior to facing Leonard. What are you trying to say? Because Leonard hadn't lost in 11 years it means he was still in his prime? The press and fans gave Leonard no chance against Hagler too......that isn't debatable.

Sorry, yer own medicine returned.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #40
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hagler beat Leonard convincingly over 12 rounds. I don't expect Leonard do get it together any better over the last three. If anything, he was wilting.
MrMarvel is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #41
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvel View Post
Hagler beat Leonard convincingly over 12 rounds. I don't expect Leonard do get it together any better over the last three. If anything, he was wilting.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #42
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Hadn't lost a fight in 11 years? Hagler hadn't lost a fight for 11 years either prior to facing Leonard. What are you trying to say? Because Leonard hadn't lost in 11 years it means he was still in his prime? The press and fans gave Leonard no chance against Hagler too......that isn't debatable.

Sorry, yer own medicine returned.
My own medicine? Who do you think I stole that sorry line from? Your friend who you told me to ignore
Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #43
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvel View Post
I had it close with leonard winning the last round but losing the fight (close)since round 7 which I scored even, Hagler took the last four straight-rounds 8-11
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #44
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
I had it close with leonard winning the last round but losing the fight (close)since round 7 which I scored even, Hagler took the last four straight-rounds 8-11
Hagler, the shell, won the fight?
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #45
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Hagler, the shell, won the fight?
Hagler the lifeless shell with non existent reflexes whom Leonard waited 5 years for to dry up, won the fight close but it was because RL didnt quite do enough.

there were three rounds up for grabs neither man won clearly: rounds 1, 3, & 7.

I can't give Leonard rounds on the basis that he made Hagler look inept or made him miss by feet. The Weaver triplets did that too.

He didnt score enough to win. Scoring is what it's all about. Ray probably outpunched Hagler altogether but look how many were taken on the gloves.

I refused to give RL the 7th because he punched late after the bell. Hitting after the bell is too late to be considered scoring and considered a foul for which points should be taken. let's face it, it was that close only because Hagler slowed the pace so much and did so little.

Deep down you know I'm right. I've always been right.

Fighter of the decade based on that? You must be joking. an impressive performance, just not a winning one.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum