Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #61
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Put these little guys in order of greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
But there are different ways to skin a cat.

Moon beat better fighters with his approach and so I dont you could definitively say that Yuh was more effective when he actually had a pretty hard time against the best fighters he fought.

I think had Moon had Yuh's opposition he would have done just aswell..likely better given his power.

Whereas Im not so sure you would see Yuh come out unscathed against Konadu, Galaxy, Zapata, Roman et al.

Hence I dont think he is anymore talented or effective just because he had a longer reign against lesser opposition...But each to their own Adds.
I don't think Moon had much outside of his power. Would I be misinformed?
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #62
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't think Moon had much outside of his power. Would I be misinformed?
He had a great chin, great stamina, impressive physical strength and I feel underrated ringcraft..Certainly more then just power but that was his main asset without a doubt.

He often looked crude in his delivery but there was some method to his madness. He took something out of a fighter every time he threw, whether it landed clean, or the fighter overworked themselves trying to avoid it or even it it landed on an arm or shoulder it still took had an effect.

Both guys really just used different tools to get the same outcome..Both were about imposing themselves and grinding the other guy down.
Yuh used his workrate and solid skillset...Moon was about using his power more.

It comes down to what you like better I guess..I enjoy watching Yuh more at the moment and in general Im not a big fan of sluggers like Moon. But I think Moon proved he was certainly very effective given the calibre of fighters he beat and how he beat them.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #63
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

In terms of ability, taking each man at their best, I would rate them like this:

1. Jung-Koo Chang
2. Ricardo Lopez, Yoko Gushiken
3. Hilario Zapata
4. Gilberto Roman, Sung-Kil Moon
5. Myung Woo Yuh
6. Humberto Gonzalez
7. Michael Carbajal

But if we are measuring greatness, that list would look like this:

1. Jung Koo Chang
2. Ricardo Lopez, Gilberto Roman, Sung Kil Moon
3. Myung Woo Yuh, Hilario Zapata
4. Yoko Gushiken, Humberto Gonzalez
5. Michael Carbajal

I would just like to say that I quite rate Myung Woo Yuh. He wasn't the prettiest of fighters (I'm not just talking about the huge size of his head which would make a midget proud) and he could have some trouble against guys that were cute and elusive, but he was an excellent mid range and inside fighter imo (more so through toughness and energy than technique) and would give hell to anyone that attempted to walk through him. Moreover, he always turned up to fight in 100% tip top condition, which is more than can be said about many of the guys being discussed in this thread, and it's probably one of the reasons he ended his career well and not with an embarrassing fadeout. He did have quite a few close fights, but I always thought he got the decision (had him taking the Olivo, Gamez, DeJesus fights - haven't seen the Ioka fights though).

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 12-12-2009 at 10:51 PM.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #64
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
I would just like to say that I quite rate Myung Woo Yuh. He wasn't the prettiest of fighters (and I'm not just talking about the huge size of his head which would make a midget proud) and he could have some trouble against guys that were cute and elusive, but he was an excellent mid range and inside fighter imo (more so through toughness and energy than technique) and would give hell to anyone that attempted to walk through him. Moreover, he always turned up to fight in 100% tip top condition, which is more than can be said about many of the guys being discussed in this thread, and it's probably one of the reasons he ended his career well and not with an embarrassing fadeout. He did have quite a few close fights, but I always thought he got the decision (had him taking the Olivo, Gamez, DeJesus fights - haven't seen the Ioka fights though).
Great post, Scientist.

I did think he was quite good to watch. He often looked quite cute and technical in there, working behind an educated jab, and bringing combinations to body and head behind it. He seemed to have good balance, and very rarely got sloppy. Underrated defense, good head movement, used his feet to dart in and out of range, and bringing counters behind it. I love to watch Yuh, his style is about as pretty as it gets for me. A bit unorthodox at times, but I believe everything he did in the ring was with smarts, and nearly everything he threw was placed purposefully as opposed to just winging. The fact he had a great chin, and seemingly never-ending stamina just made him even more a formidable opponent as opposed to defining him.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #65
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Great post, Scientist.

I did think he was quite good to watch. He often looked quite cute and technical in there, working behind an educated jab, and bringing combinations to body and head behind it. He seemed to have good balance, and very rarely got sloppy. Underrated defense, good head movement, used his feet to dart in and out of range, and bringing counters behind it. I love to watch Yuh, his style is about as pretty as it gets for me. A bit unorthodox at times, but I believe everything he did in the ring was with smarts, and nearly everything he threw was placed purposefully as opposed to just winging. The fact he had a great chin, and seemingly never-ending stamina just made him even more a formidable opponent as opposed to defining him.
I pretty much agree Addie. He did have a tendency to look somewhat mechanical or uncoordinated at times, and didn't have that great body rhythm that natural fighters like Chang, Watanabe and co. had, but he was an intelligent fighter, and he did have a technique that worked well for him.

Probably the biggest thing holding him back from being even more highly regarded for me is that he never faced a truly exceptional fighter to clearly determine where he actually belongs.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #66
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
I pretty much agree Addie. He did have a tendency to look somewhat mechanical or uncoordinated at times, and didn't have that great body rhythm than natural fighters like Chang, Watanabe and co. had, but he was an intelligent fighter, and he did have a technique that worked well for him.

Probably the biggest thing holding him back from being even more highly regarded for me is that he never faced a truly exceptional fighter to graft where he actually belongs.
Nobody at 108lbs has an easy time with Myung-Woo Yuh. How did you rate him defensively? By my own admission, I've only seen 6 of his fights, but not really in any of them was he accustomed to taking solid shots. He was always moving his head, and like I said, often darting just out of range of shots. He was no Pernell Whitaker, but he wasn't defensively inept either.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #67
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
He had a great chin, great stamina, impressive physical strength and I feel underrated ringcraft..Certainly more then just power but that was his main asset without a doubt.

He often looked crude in his delivery but there was some method to his madness. He took something out of a fighter every time he threw, whether it landed clean, or the fighter overworked themselves trying to avoid it or even it it landed on an arm or shoulder it still took had an effect.

Both guys really just used different tools to get the same outcome..Both were about imposing themselves and grinding the other guy down.
Yuh used his workrate and solid skillset...Moon was about using his power more.

It comes down to what you like better I guess..I enjoy watching Yuh more at the moment and in general Im not a big fan of sluggers like Moon. But I think Moon proved he was certainly very effective given the calibre of fighters he beat and how he beat them.
Thanks Rock. I should watch more Moon to get a good grasp of his greatness, however, I don't think I'll be able to appreciate his fighting style as much as I probably should. I like the more technical, precise punchers...and I think Myung-Woo Yuh was both.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #68
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Nobody at 108lbs has an easy time with Myung-Woo Yuh. How did you rate him defensively? By my own admission, I've only seen 6 of his fights, but not really in any of them was he accustomed to taking solid shots. He was always moving his head, and like I said, often darting just out of range of shots. He was no Pernell Whitaker, but he wasn't defensively inept either.
An underrated side of his game. Because he often invited a brawl and had an excellent chin people tend to overlook the fact that he could slip punches quite well. As far as offensive minded fighters go, his defense was pretty good actually. I wouldn't say it's up there with the best defense amongst offensive fighters (e.g. Duran, Chang, Armstrong etc.), but nevertheless it was pretty decent.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #69
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
An underrated side of his game. Because he often invited a brawl and had an excellent chin people tend to overlook the fact that he could slip punches quite well. As far as offensive minded fighters go, his defense was pretty good actually. I wouldn't say it's up there with the best defense amongst offensive fighters (e.g. Duran, Chang, Armstrong etc.), but nevertheless it was pretty decent.
I'll be honest, the fights I've seen of Yuh are quite contrary to what other people say about him. I have four of his fights on DVD (with 17 in the post), and although he certainly has a great punch output, and stepped the pace up as the rounds went by...during long periods he'd be on the back-foot counterpunching. it seemed as though he would often start off doing that, and then when he sensed he had the momentum he'd push the pace much harder.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #70
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I'll be honest, the fights I've seen of Yuh are quite contrary to what other people say about him. I have four of his fights on DVD (with 17 in the post), and although he certainly has a great punch output, and stepped the pace up as the rounds went by...during long periods he'd be on the back-foot counterpunching. it seemed as though he would often start off doing that, and then when he sensed he had the momentum he'd push the pace much harder.
He could box a little too, but I'd say he liked to engage moreso. From what I've seen anyway, which isn't the whole career of the man.

Which fights have you seen may I ask Addie?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #71
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
He could box a little too, but I'd say he liked to engage moreso. From what I've seen anyway, which isn't the whole career of the man.

Which fights have you seen may I ask Addie?
Tokushima, Danphuthai, Komiyama, Salazar, Blanco, Baharudin.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #72
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Thought we were cool mate. **** yourself then.

Am I alone when I say Yuh was more talented and a better fighter than Moon, who just had the physical attributes and power that Yuh lacked.
CLEARLY wasn't referring to you Addie
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #73
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Yuh was one of those fighters who's technique defensively exceeded his physical ability and reflexes.Above average and couls slip/block shos very prettily, but would struggle to get out of the way as consistently against the top fighters with A class speed and timing.

To a lesser extent Kalule and Gushiken would be in that category too just for quick comparison.Or MCGuigan for an outright pressure fighter.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #74
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I really like Yuhs attempts to block shots with quick head movement to the appropriate place on his head. He had good rhythm there, hittable, but clearly tough to hit enough to really hurt him, especially given his toughness. Sure Chang could hit him a lot, but Gushiken was strong enough in close to dissuade Chang from constantly laying it on thick (IMO)
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #75
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Gushiken could perhapos do really well against Chang.Not sure about that one.It's a tough fight to envision off some reason.

I don't think Chang would be able to hurt Yuh much at all,not many would. it's getting consistently beat to the punch in exchanges, potshots etc that would be the issue.
Mantequilla is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum