Old 07-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #32
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: With the UFC in decline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
I think the UFC will end up like My Space, they should sell in the next 1yr or 2 for ridiculous money..... The sport is too brutal to mainstream people therefore it's about at it's limits now.
The UFC is expanding rapidly in other markets. Care to check the ticket sales in Canada, Ireland and Australia for example? I can't speak for the other scenes but in Australia also note the repeated showings on digital TV and regular free events each week.

And boxing is doing what? Cheap community TV shows or PPV's but little else. Even the boxing nostalgia programmes are infrequent now.

Check the phone book some time - count boxing gyms and count MMA and Muay Thai gyms. Note the former boxing gyms now also offer either of the above.

However I see all this as a positive for boxing for it is a valued part of MMA not a competitor. Many more resources, support and opportunities have opened for competitors, trainers and spectators alike in Australia.

I was judging at a show tonight with am boxing, pro Muay Thai and pro MMA fights.In Melbourne ten years ago not counting boxing shows we averaged two shows a month with nothing in December and the odd one in January across the two sports. Its now five / six with three in December and two January according to the timetable provided by our govt. board.
PIRA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum