Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Shane Mosley Accused of Doping

Once again, the allegations surface.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

By Luis Fernando Llosa and L. Jon Wertheim/SI.com

According to multiple sources who attended an international anti-doping conference in Colorado Springs last November, Jeff Novitzky, a lead investigator in the BALCO case, alleged that boxer Shane Mosley started an elaborate doping regimen in the months prior to a Sept. 13, 2003, fight against Oscar de la Hoya.

As Novitzky explained in painstaking detail, two months before the light middleweight championship fight, Mosley, a client of the BALCO lab, began using "the clear" [THG] and "the cream" [testosterone], the designer substances that Barry Bonds, among other athletes, stands accused of using. Mosley supplemented this with doses of the blood-doping drug Erythropoietin (EPO), a hormone that artificially increases red blood production.

Mosley's alleged prescribed regimen bore striking similarities to that of former world champion sprinter Michelle Collins, who was implicated in the BALCO investigation and was served with a four-year suspension, despite never having tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

Evidence seized during the BALCO raids, which was presented at the November conference, indicates that on July 26, 2003, results of blood work Mosley had done established that his hematocrit level -- a test measuring the volume of red blood cells -- was 44. On a calendar that accompanied Mosley's file, the date 7/26 was circled and accompanied by the word "start" and the letter "e," which investigators believe represents EPO. By Aug. 8, Mosley's hematocrit level had soared to 52.2.

"Most men are in the low 40s," says anti-doping expert Dr. Gary Wadler. "Anything over 50 is considered off the charts." That level, Wadler says, is dangerously high but could benefit an athlete's stamina. According to the calendar, Mosley's last dose of EPO was administered on Sept. 8, five days before the fight.

Blood doping -- i.e. the attempt to boost red blood cells, thereby increasing the capacity to carry oxygen to muscles -- has run rampant in cycling and distance running for years, and it's not surprising that it may be spreading to other sports that rely upon lung capacity as well as muscle strength.

Indeed, against De La Hoya, Mosley won a unanimous decision, largely because of his strong finish to the 12-round fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. As SI boxing writer Richard Hoffer wrote at the time, "[Mosley] did curry favor with the judges by landing the harder punches, beginning in the ninth round and culminating in a vicious 12th that had De La Hoya nearly dead on his feet, his mouth gaping horribly."

Mosley was subpoenaed in the BALCO investigation and testified to law enforcement officials in the fall of 2003, though he has denied ever taking banned substances and has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, including EPO. Wadler asserts that there is an accurate urine test for EPO, but the Nevada State Athletic Commission does not administer it.

Keith Kizer, executive director of the commission, claims that "about five years ago there were discussions about EPO... but it seemed like something that probably wasn't going to be used by boxers." Kizer says that, faced with so-called "non-analytical" evidence of a boxer taking an EPO regimen leading up to a fight, the commission would consider disciplinary action and possibly deny the athlete a request for a future license.

Adding an ironic twist to this saga, barely a year after Mosley defeated De La Hoya, the two became business partners. In Mosley's upcoming WBC welterweight title fight Nov. 10 against Miguel Cotto, he will be represented by De La Hoya's company, Golden Boy Promotions. Mosley did not respond to messages left with his publicist seeking comment.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Default Re: Shane Mosley Accused of Doping

This doesn't surprise me all that much...
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
audio101
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think everyone realized that once he all of a sudden lost his hand speed and stopped throwing all those combinations.
audio101 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio101
I think everyone realized that once he all of a sudden lost his hand speed and stopped throwing all those combinations.
i attributed that to not staying in the gym like he used to, and weight training.

now hes skinnier, staying in the gym year round just about, and hes looking more like he used to.

this will really dissapoint me. Mosley is a gentleman of the sport, a 'good guy' so to speak... and i hate the thought of his success coming at the aid and price of cheating.

say it aint so sugar.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Damn.Soon, to be competitive in any sport, juicing will be mandatory.Commissions turn their back, and money will dictate as usual.Everybody will start looking like Nico Valuev, and that includes the female welterweights.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
boxing_report
Upset-Minded
ESB Jr Member

This article raises a troubling question: Did [future Hall of Famer] Shane Mosley turn to blood doping because he knew the Nevada State Athletic Commission does not test for the drug EPO?
If this is proven it will be a sad day for boxing.
boxing_report is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
bachatu
Pro
ESB Addict

His name was lingering around the Balco scandal since it first blew up. The only difference is that details weren't disclosed as they have been now. I typically would say let the investigation finish until we draw conclusions,however, in this case one would kind of start to see where this is going. Look at all the other athletes involved to the Balco scandal....
Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi, and Gary Sheffield... Giants trainer who was accused of giving these steroids to many athletes was convicted (for contempt of court )when he refused to testify before a federal grand jury.

One could say that their numbers can justify such accusation. In a big federal case like this, I think the guys responsible just cracked and gave all info they had to avoid a huge penalty.... trainers who were working with high profile athletes took the fall. The question is: Why would his name be mixed in with other people who were accused and convicted for participating in his steroid scandal?

This type of distraction may be the decisive factor in the Cotto - Mosley bout.... I thought to myself, if Mosley comes in worry free and like the Mosley that beat Vargas the second time and Collazo in his last bout, he will win. Though if its the Mosley that was fighting Winky Wright and David Estrada after the whole Balco distraction, I have my doubts.
bachatu is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Once agian people Shane Mosley trains in Big Bear,California the High Altitude is supposed to produce more Red Blood cells so steroids arent really needed in that case. Plus Shane took a piss and lie detector test and passed both also the article even states he never had a postive test.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Another thing it says hes level was 52 a normal man is 40 Shane Mosley is nothing like a normal man.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

bullshit, what the **** is this, you cant look ripped these days without being accused of doping?
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #11
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict

guys, as brooklyn said, it doesnt surprise me either. We just have to learn to live with this as it is not going away. If you rely on your body to make millions of dollars, you are going to dope, do steriods, something. I might not agree with it, but i understand why they do it. The long term health problems are the only reason some might not do it (and thats a good enough reason if you ask me)
bigeddie27 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
lucasehr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
Once agian people Shane Mosley trains in Big Bear,California the High Altitude is supposed to produce more Red Blood cells so steroids arent really needed in that case. Plus Shane took a piss and lie detector test and passed both also the article even states he never had a postive test.

They're talking about him using the Cream and the Clear. There was no test for that thus there would be no positive test. Hence Tim Montgomery getting a lifetime ban from track and field without ever testing positive.
lucasehr is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Allegations were already made and it seems that all has passed.

SSM is back at 47 and doesnt appear to be involved in using illegal substances at this point.

Did he?? It seems he might have.

Add to the large improvement list of the sport better and more consistent testing of its athletes. The way it goes down now? Its beatable and inconsistent.
C Money is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
bachatu
Pro
ESB Addict

Before we start justifying the results with Mosley works out hard, etc... There needs to be evidence that his levels were that high if you are saying its because of his work out regimen. Every time an athlete has been accused of doping due to test results, people have defended them and said "well hes an athlete so he produces more". Sorry, but I dont buy it. Usually, when they say something is way past normal, they mean it is inhuman like numbers....that is not something they see even in other professional athletes (olympic athletes/Football players etc).

again, we are not talking about Normal, Above Normal, Super High...the Doctor simply put it
Quote:
"Most men are in the low 40s," says anti-doping expert Dr. Gary Wadler. "Anything over 50 is considered off the charts." That level, Wadler says, is dangerously high but could benefit an athlete's stamina.
I don't think we would carry a dangerously high volume of blood cells in our bodies for the fact of working out in Big Bear or for being an athlete that works out hard.
bachatu is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #15
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Money
Allegations were already made and it seems that all has passed.

SSM is back at 47 and doesnt appear to be involved in using illegal substances at this point.

Did he?? It seems he might have.

Add to the large improvement list of the sport better and more consistent testing of its athletes. The way it goes down now? Its beatable and inconsistent.
it might always staty that way too C Money. This business is a billion dollar industry, they got scientists who make shit so it stays undetectable. It just seems to me like a losing battle. And I really dont think sugar did this, but I would not be surprised or hold it against him if he did.
bigeddie27 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum