Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-12-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 1040
Default How would have Teofilo Stevenson have done if he turned pro after the 1980 Olympics.

Perhaps the greatest Olympic Heavyweight boxer maby the best Olympic boxer of all time. He would be about 28 years old. His last major tittle was the World Amateur Championship at Super Heavyweight in 1986.
How would he done as a pro?
ripcity is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would have Teofilo Stevenson have done if he turned pro after the 1980 Olympi

It is hard to tell IMO. There was a fellow over a decade ago who was a highly decorated amatuer from Cuba. I believe his name was Juan Gonzales and he did not fare well in the pros against top guys. I remember Tim Witherspoon and Riddick Bowe both knocked him out in devastating fashion. Losing to them is not a disgrace by any means though. Stevenson was a very gifted fighter no doubt and it sure would have been interesting to have seen him and Russian great Igor Vitshotsky (who knocked Stevenson out twice in 1973 and 1976) fight professionally in that great decade of heavyweights.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: How would have Teofilo Stevenson have done if he turned pro after the 1980 Olympi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu View Post
It is hard to tell IMO. There was a fellow over a decade ago who was a highly decorated amatuer from Cuba. I believe his name was Juan Gonzales and he did not fare well in the pros against top guys. I remember Tim Witherspoon and Riddick Bowe both knocked him out in devastating fashion. Losing to them is not a disgrace by any means though. Stevenson was a very gifted fighter no doubt and it sure would have been interesting to have seen him and Russian great Igor Vitshotsky (who knocked Stevenson out twice in 1973 and 1976) fight professionally in that great decade of heavyweights.
Vysotsky only KO'd him once, in Minsk Belarus in 1976. He dropped him in every round and KO'd him in the 3rd.

The 1973 fight in Cuba Vysotsky won by decision

P.S. way to butcher his name
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think he would have done great..quite possibly have won one of the versions of the heavy title and would have really cleared a swath in the heavyweight division with that spectacular power of his. Beating Larry Holmes for that undisputed title would have been too steep a hill for Teo, however, IMO..but I feel he would have gotten Larry's respect and would have done better than Gerry Cooney for sure and would have made it to the bell to lose a decision to Holmes..he would have had the potential to deck Holmes, but Larry would have been at his very, very best for this fight and would have been quite prepared and on guard for any fireworks from Teo. A unanimous decision over 15 rounds for Holmes which would have probably been his signature performance, IMO.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He could have been a contender, but he wouldn't have beaten Larry Holmes (even if he dropped Larry with that big right). By 1980, Teo started to slow down ever so slightly and he had these occasional fights where he seemed to get tired in the 3rd round, and more hittable. In a 15 round fight, I think Holmes' speed, defense, chin and condition would be too much for Teo.

The real question is how Teo would have done if he had turned pro in his prime, in the 70s. I think he has a live chance against an aging Ali with his height, reach, solid speed, reactions, sense of range, and devastating power, although we still don't know how he'd do over the course of many rounds and defensively dealing with Ali's speed. But in the 70s, Ali was slower, threw less, layed on the ropes more, got hit more, so Muhammad would be vulnerable to a real prime specimen like Teo and it would be a fight. Stevenson probably stops guys like Norton, Shavers, Spinks, and Frazier.

But we'll never know, because Teo was happy to remain an amateur. Can't be a great pro if you aren't willing to defect.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Sardu
ESB Addict

How do you guys think Vysotsky would have fared in the professional ranks. My father says he was an absolute beast. About 6ft. 215lbs. with a thick neck and powerful build. Defeated Teofilo Stevenson handily both times they met in Stevenson's prime. My father said he heard that the russians held him out of the 1972 Olympics due to his paper thin skin which caused a propensity to cut. Since he would have had to fight a lot of fights in a short period of time the cut issue would become a huge factor. That must be why he was not in the 72' or 76' Olympics. I know he lost to Greg Page in 1978 in a fight where Page wisely stayed on his bicycle and won a decision. Vysotsky destroyed the very good Jimmy Clark in a one sided fight. Judging by styles I doubt he could could have done well with Ali and Foreman probably. But Igor would have probably beaten the contenders like Norton, Shavers, Lyle, Quarry, and possibly even Joe Frazier. His pronpensity for cuts would have made beating Holmes a very daunting task, and, anyway, he was pretty much washed up by the late 70's anyhow.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 AM   #7
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Vysotsky on why he didn't go to 1976 Olympics

"Before Montreal, in ‘76, I boxed against a light heavy named Kvachadze and received a serious cut. This was my Achilles’ heel, both in regular matches and in training. The Cubans didn’t know it happened and brought two guys to the Olympics, Stevenson and Milyano Romero. If I would have participated, Teofilo would be sitting on the alternate’s bench. "

On the 1980 Olympics

"My last fight was at the 1980 National championships. It’s also where they determined who went to the 1980 Olympics. I lost to Zhenya Gorstkov, and once again, because of a cut, so I decided that I had had enough"

Notable Americans he defeated

Tony Tubbs (KO 2)

Woody Clark (KO 2)

Jimmy Clark (W3 and a loss on cuts)

Mitch Green (W3)

Greg Page (L3, although the result was controversial because the bout took place in America)

Helton Willis (KO 1 in 25 seconds in)
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Sardu
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Vysotsky on why he didn't go to 1976 Olympics

"Before Montreal, in Ď76, I boxed against a light heavy named Kvachadze and received a serious cut. This was my Achillesí heel, both in regular matches and in training. The Cubans didnít know it happened and brought two guys to the Olympics, Stevenson and Milyano Romero. If I would have participated, Teofilo would be sitting on the alternateís bench. "

On the 1980 Olympics

"My last fight was at the 1980 National championships. Itís also where they determined who went to the 1980 Olympics. I lost to Zhenya Gorstkov, and once again, because of a cut, so I decided that I had had enough"

Notable Americans he defeated

Tony Tubbs (KO 2)

Woody Clark (KO 2)

Jimmy Clark (W3 and a loss on cuts)

Mitch Green (W3)

Greg Page (L3, although the result was controversial because the bout took place in America)

Helton Willis (KO 1 in 25 seconds in)

Thanks for the info! Very interesting.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Stevenson would make the top ten, then lose to the elite.
ThinBlack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum