Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Rough Patches In Fighters Careers

Good fighters that is. Of course cans and b-level guys have careers filled with highs and lows.

Holyfield went 3-3 over the course of a few years from 92' to 95.

He also lost went 2-5-1 from 99' to 04', one of those wins being from a TD headbutt. Pretty rough for a ATG fighter.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mijares, while certainly not great lost three in a row recently. Pretty hard to stomach for a fighter who had all the ingredients to be great.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rough Patches In Fighters Careers

Roberto Duran went 2-3 in a period from 80-82.

Archie Moore went 6-4 in one period in 1948, including a first round KO loss.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
mochabuzz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

the first few years of mike weaver's career was difficult... he lost quite a number of times.... but he also learned from those early failures.
mochabuzz is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post

Archie Moore went 6-4 in one period in 1948, including a first round KO loss.
Moore also had a pretty rough period from around mid '43 through '44, which included a KO loss to Eddie Booker and his much-celebrated ass-whupping at the hands of Charley Burley. Prior to that, he had been considered one of the leading MW contenders.

Fritzie Zivic had a notoriously rough patch early in his career in which he lost 8 fights in a row. He also had a similarly rough patch toward the end of his career, in which he lost 12 of 13 fights.

Dick Tiger lost four fights in a row after moving from Africa to Britain.

Kid Gavilan had a rough time between his title shot loss to Robinson and his eventual win of the title, in which he lost several fights on controversial split decisions. At one point, he lost three out of four straight fights.

Joey Giardello had a few rough patches in his career. Early in his career, he went 5 straight fights without a win (2 losses and 3 draws). At another point, he lost three straight fights, including a brutal stoppage by Spider Webb. His roughest patch followed his title shot draw with Fullmer, after which he lost 4 out of 5 fights.

Speaking of Fullmer, he went through a rough patch early in his career when he lost decisively to Gil Turner, Bobby Boyd, and Eduardo Lausse in a short span of time.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A weight drained zapata quitting against Chang, then jumping up from junior fly to Bantam and giving an awful performance against Harold Petty, then dropping back down to Flyweight and losing a debatable decision to Laciar in a fight where it seemed like the Argentinian wanted to win farmore than him.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Eddie Machen should have quit while he was ahead. 3-7-1 in the last 3 years of his career.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Good fighters that is. Of course cans and b-level guys have careers filled with highs and lows.

Holyfield went 3-3 over the course of a few years from 92' to 95.

He also lost went 2-5-1 from 99' to 04', one of those wins being from a TD headbutt. Pretty rough for a ATG fighter.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mijares, while certainly not great lost three in a row recently. Pretty hard to stomach for a fighter who had all the ingredients to be great.
MIjares clearly didn't have all the ingredients to be great, or he wouldn't have lost to Vic and faded away like this.There was something missing.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I guess I mistook Mijares's arrogance and over-confidence for calmness and collectiveness in the ring. He didn't have the mental tools I thought he did to be great. I guess he just couldn't deal with true pressure and/or power either, especially when he couldn't deter the opponent. He honestly had me fooled for a while though, because it was clear he had excellent skills. Big shock what has become of his career. I learned my lesson with him.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

After losing the middleweight title, LaMotta added to his legend with a stunning late career reversal. Seemingly finished after losing to Murphy and Hayes, then drawing with Hairston (all following the Valentine's Day Massacre), he immediately avenged all three blemishes with ten round UDs over each opponent, a remarkable rebound from such a high profile four match winless streak. (Then, he ran into Danny Nardico, but still managed to win two more fights. A lot of people are still under the mistaken impression that Nardico retired him. Jake's career died hard.)

To me, it's always most interesting when somebody rebounds from a late career slump like LaMotta's.

In the case of Machen, hanging tough against Frazier (and getting prematurely robbed of a chance to last the distance) and handing Quarry his first defeat actually add to his resume. 3-7-1 does look bad on paper, but he acquitted himself honorably, and packed it in on a suitable occasion, when Kirkman stopped him early for only the second time in his career. (Continuing after Kirkman took him out would have been futile and self delusional.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
I guess I mistook Mijares's arrogance and over-confidence for calmness and collectiveness in the ring. He didn't have the mental tools I thought he did to be great. I guess he just couldn't deal with true pressure and/or power either, especially when he couldn't deter the opponent. He honestly had me fooled for a while though, because it was clear he had excellent skills. Big shock what has become of his career. I learned my lesson with him.
But his run of form was very, very good, and he showcased some virtuoso performances.

Okay, he was starched by Darchinyan but he's an awkward vicious puncher. These things happen. The two subsequent losses at Bantam (Of which I have only seen the 2nd and the opponent whos name escapes me looked very ordinary) may just be a case of him needing to go back to Super Fly.

He's still young. I feel if he retired today he'd still be a very awkward proposition H2H for the top ten super-flys. He has a mixture of fluid combos and awkward defence/movement. He was always hittable, though before Darchinyan had showed a fairly reliable chin. I've seen him dropped by a Japanese opponent but he got straight up and didn't seem that badly affected. Darchinyan is an awesome hitter for the weight as well.

I feel the need to stick up for Mijares, I think he had a pretty decent go at it
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
But his run of form was very, very good, and he showcased some virtuoso performances.

Okay, he was starched by Darchinyan but he's an awkward vicious puncher. These things happen. The two subsequent losses at Bantam (Of which I have only seen the 2nd and the opponent whos name escapes me looked very ordinary) may just be a case of him needing to go back to Super Fly.

He's still young. I feel if he retired today he'd still be a very awkward proposition H2H for the top ten super-flys. He has a mixture of fluid combos and awkward defence/movement. He was always hittable, though before Darchinyan had showed a fairly reliable chin. I've seen him dropped by a Japanese opponent but he got straight up and didn't seem that badly affected. Darchinyan is an awesome hitter for the weight as well.

I feel the need to stick up for Mijares, I think he had a pretty decent go at it
I thought so as well, but he definitely didn't live up to his potential, or what I thought he could've been.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

You might think that I'm speaking in hindsight, but there were actually a few times before the Darchinyan fustigation when I wondered what all the fuss was about where Mijares was concerned. Not to imply that I thought his career would wind up like this, but I was far less surprised than most when Darchinyan did what he did, largely because Mijares seemed to have the attributes that people said but not to the extent that they said IMO, particularly his defensive nous and calmness under fire.

It could be that Darchinyan was just a horrible matchup for him stylewise to the extent where irreversible damage has been done.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Mickey Walker had rough patches just before and after he held the WW title. Before fighting for the title, he had lost a string of "newspaper decisions" in no-decision fights. Following his loss of the title to Pete Latzo, he was also busted up and stopped by Joe Dundee.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Come on lads, if this thread tells us anything, it's that a career is not over with a few defeats, even in quick succession. Mijares can comeback, he just tried to take on to good of an opponent in a new weight division too soon after being beaten badly by Vic. Whether or not he can come back down to Super Flyweight and rekindle his career remains to be seen, but Barrera came back from back to back losses, Cristian just needs to improve, work on things in the gym.
Addie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum