Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default New Reports Indicate Mosley was Given EPO Prior to DLH Rematch (Blood Doping)

According to a report done by SI, Shane Mosley was reportedly found to have taken the human hormone EPO, with the last dose being administered 5 days prior to his rematch with Oscar De La Hoya. Evidence suggests he purchased and administered the drug from BALCO.

Mosely was reportedly measured to have a basal hematocrit level of 44; after EPO administration, he was measured to have a hematocrit level of 52.2 (far above normal).

EPO increases red blood cell count, allowing an athlete to illegally raise their RBC count above the normal human range, which allows the hemoglobin in a persons blood to carry more oxygen (more blood = more hemoglobin = more oxygen carrying capacity). This is known as blood doping and is banned in all endurance sports in international competition.

Jeff Novitzky, a lead investigator in the ongoing BALCO case also reports that Mosely did in fact test positive for steroids as well, both “the clear” and “the cream”.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I can't speak for anyone else on here, but I have always been a huge Mosley fan who maintained him as innocent until proven guilty in my eyes...this latest evidence however is from very reliable sources, and the EPO findings are no longer "rumours" which "link" Shane to the company, but rather reports from credible journalists that he did in fact purchase and use the banned substance EPO, which is a blatant form of cheating in itself, regardless of whether or not we choose to ignore the steroid allegations.

Last edited by Axe; 09-28-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Axe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Mosely Tests Positive for EPO (Blood Doping)

Make an example out of him and ban him for life. He's financially comfortable, at the beginning of the end of his career, he's perfect. Start now if you want to have any chance at curbing this -- much moreso than steroids, EPO can infest the sport like cancer -- it's that good.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Rickypr18
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Does this mean that the Cotto fight will be cancelled?
Rickypr18 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
magnificentdave
Constant Reminder
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1540

at no point did they say that he tested positive,

I think it's rather dishonest of you to imply that he did

if read the article clearly, it merely states that he had symptons indicating use of it

and that their lead investigator was alleging that he had evidence pointing to Mosley doping

and seeing as Mosley lives in the United States, he is innocent until proven guilty
magnificentdave is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
atg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Make an example out of him and ban him for life. He's financially comfortable, at the beginning of the end of his career, he's perfect. Start now if you want to have any chance at curbing this -- much moreso than steroids, EPO can infest the sport like cancer -- it's that good.

I actually agree if this is found to be true than he should be banned from boxing. Because I think other people would begin to use and it wouldn't be good for the sport. I really like shane mosley though and I don't believe he did this. But if he did... well yea.
atg is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe
According to a report done by SI, Shane Mosley was reportedly found to have taken the human hormone EPO, with the last dose being administered 5 days prior to his rematch with Oscar De La Hoya. Evidence suggests he purchased and administered the drug from BALCO.

Mosely was reportedly measured to have a basal hematocrit level of 44; after EPO administration, he was measured to have a hematocrit level of 52.2 (far above normal).

EPO increases red blood cell count, allowing an athlete to illegally raise their RBC count above the normal human range, which allows the hemoglobin in a persons blood to carry more oxygen (more blood = more hemoglobin = more oxygen carrying capacity). This is known as blood doping and is banned in all endurance sports in international competition.

Jeff Novitzky, a lead investigator in the ongoing BALCO case also reports that Mosely did in fact test positive for steroids as well, both “the clear” and “the cream”.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I can't speak for anyone else on here, but I have always been a huge Mosley fan who maintained him as innocent until proven guilty in my eyes...this latest evidence however is from very reliable sources, and the EPO findings are no longer "rumours" which "link" Shane to the company, but rather reports from credible journalists that he did in fact purchase and use the banned substance EPO, which is a blatant form of cheating in itself, regardless of whether or not we choose to ignore the steroid allegations.
I Hope Shane sues you for defamation of character. No where in that article does it say Mosleys tested positive for steroids.If i were you id retract your statement before his wife Jin gets wind of this.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
I Hope Shane sues you for defamation of character. No where in that article does it say Mosleys tested positive for steroids.If i were you id retract your statement before his wife Jin gets wind of this.
Jin can do whatever she wants with me, especially if I've been a bad boy.

On a more serious note, there is no actual test proving EPO use, rather there are records which indicate that Mosley was given EPO by the kind folks at BALCO:

Quote:
"According to Novitzky (lead investigator in the ongoing BALCO case), Mosley also took the drug Erythropietin (EPO) which is a hormone that increases red blood production."
Quote:
"According to the Sports Illustrated report, provided by Luis Llosa and L. Jon Wertheim, evidence seized during the BALCO raid provided proof that blood work done on Mosely had established that his hematocrit level – a test that measures red blood cells – was 44. After Mosley allegedly began his doping regime his tests levels reached 52.2 which is abnormally high. According to the Sports Illustrated report Mosley’s last dose of EPO was given on September 8th which was five days before the scheduled bout with De La Hoya."
These are credible sources.

Again the testing only shows the results of EPO use, and wasn't in this case used to prove it per se, so I will change the thread name accordingly.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Has he failed a Drug test?

If not, then he is a Innocent Man.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
DoumB
HOYA KO1 PRESSCOT
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: New Reports Indicate Mosley was Given EPO Prior to DLH Rematch (Blood Doping)

omfg thats bad news, cant actualy beleive shane did this
DoumB is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900
Default Re: New Reports Indicate Mosley was Given EPO Prior to DLH Rematch (Blood Doping)

shane has never failed a drug test.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
TroubleLurks
**** spell check
ESB Senior Member

Give me a break. They decide to run this now? Garbage.
TroubleLurks is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoumB
omfg thats bad news, cant actualy beleive shane did this
Shane also had *** with Mike Tyson.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificentdave
at no point did they say that he tested positive,

I think it's rather dishonest of you to imply that he did

if read the article clearly, it merely states that he had symptons indicating use of it

and that their lead investigator was alleging that he had evidence pointing to Mosley doping

and seeing as Mosley lives in the United States, he is innocent until proven guilty
Yes, it simply depends on whether or not we trust the sources. They do come from credible journalists and investigators.

You have to remember though that Mosley himself is not under investigation...nor will he ever be. And no test done by any boxing commision will label him a cheat (commisions cannot test for EPO use).

Solid, circumstantial evidence from investigations against pharmaceutical companies, which identifies their clients (Mosley) is the best that we as boxing fans have when it comes to EPO use or use of HGH (see the Holfyfield thread).

If several people involved in the investigation state that Mosley used, I'm inclined to believe them. They will never have a reason to take Mosley to court himself.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
shane has never failed a drug test.
Again, boxing doesn't test for EPO.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #15
magnificentdave
Constant Reminder
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1540

On that note, fans of the sport who believe it is a fact that Mosley cheated have a right to voice their disapproval...
There isn't much that can done, however, besides try to keep the allegations in the media in order to lower Mosley's reputation, with the end goal of making it obvious to other boxers that the danger publicity wise for dopers is not neccesarily worth the gain...

Personally, I can't hold something against Mosley that can't be proved, without holding it against every other championship boxer, allegation or no allegation.
magnificentdave is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum