Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default step forward during jab vs. planting feet starionary

Russ anber was saying in a video that your feet should be planted firmly when jabbing in a stationary position, but this gentlemen states that you should always try to step forward (even just very little) to generate power.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Who's advice is better?
wordisbond is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887
Default Re: step forward during jab vs. planting feet starionary

From what I understand about the secince of punching (mass + speed + distance = power). By steping in with the jab you are bringing the mass of your body into the jab.
By planting your feet and twisting into the punch the power comes through your leggs through your body into your arm. Both methods will produce more power than just sticking your arm out. You can always use both methods in a boxing match.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Depends on if your attacking or defending. Step forward when attacking and plant for defense.
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

It depends where your target is and what direction you are moving in. Sometimes you jab stepping backwards, sometimes it's sideways, forward or stationary.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Ya what RDJ 's saying...a jab is many things depending on it's intent. Sometimes use it for keeping distance, usually just throwing it out. Sometimes setting up a basic 1-2, allowing for transfer of weight and a semi feint. Another time may be a quick step in, step out to set up a counter, if I'm fighting a counter fighter. All depends on who is across from you and what the intention is.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It depends whose setting who up
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
CrocodileFace
Journeyman

My trainer always say to move my feet with every punch. I pivot on my hooks and step with my jab. even if it's the smallest baby step throwing a punch w/o moving ur feet a little makes you too stiff. all boxers need to stay in a rhythm and when u stand still you lose it.
CrocodileFace is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocodileFace View Post
My trainer always say to move my feet with every punch. I pivot on my hooks and step with my jab. even if it's the smallest baby step throwing a punch w/o moving ur feet a little makes you too stiff. all boxers need to stay in a rhythm and when u stand still you lose it.
Maybe this is what you meant to but my trainer always says throw, then pivot. If you pivot as your hooking you loose power. There is a trainer in our gym who always insists you must step forward with the jab and im inexperienced and i would never answer back but i think he is wrong. Its situation dependent i think.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
CrocodileFace
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Maybe this is what you meant to but my trainer always says throw, then pivot. If you pivot as your hooking you loose power. There is a trainer in our gym who always insists you must step forward with the jab and im inexperienced and i would never answer back but i think he is wrong. Its situation dependent i think.

With the hook you pivot and turn ur hips and have ur arm follow behind... Rough description but i know i know what you mean. And w/ the jab i have been trained that every time my front foot lads is the opportunity to throw a jab. so i can be varied by taking quicker or slower steps. Ya dig?
CrocodileFace is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocodileFace View Post
With the hook you pivot and turn ur hips and have ur arm follow behind... Rough description but i know i know what you mean. And w/ the jab i have been trained that every time my front foot lads is the opportunity to throw a jab. so i can be varied by taking quicker or slower steps. Ya dig?
Yeh i think i get ya mate, this is why its hard to get advice on forums, i just ask me trainer lol
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Gavin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Depends on the range, if its long range (neither of you can punch one another without stepping forward), then you move forward, if its mid-range, (arms length from opponent) just snap your arm out, stepping in will smother your Punch.
Gavin is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
south_paw

vCash: 75

Ultimately you should use your jab in different ways, depending on the needs and purpose behind it. This can be said for any punch and any movement.

The reason behind someone telling you to do something one way is because first you need to get a grasp on the basics, I mean if they are like, do it anyway you'd like, you would get no where. It's a one step at a time thing.

I think it's a good Idea to, when you first start boxing, to step in with your jab. And the reason trainers will tell you this is because otherwise, you have a guy "sitting" there just throwing punches who is not so experienced with his range, etc., and you can bet that isn't going to land, even against a non experienced fighter, who would just step back.

Also keep in mind, trainers will give you advice, which may not necessarily be for anyone else. This is because they see what you are doing wrong and right and what works for you, They may even over emphasis it with "always", that doesn't mean ultimately that is the way it should always be done, just they gotta say that just so they can see SOMETHING done about it, a correction.
south_paw is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #13
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

You'll be very easy to read if you're stepping forward. And if you step forward with your jab, hit him hard, won't the opponent usually be gone before you can land your second punch?

It's best to vary. Personally I prefer to find the right distance before I'm punching.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Trey029
Journeyman

if you catch him with a good jab it will slow him down & he wont be able to move like he wants but you have to take advantage of the little time you have after your 1st blow
Trey029 is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 AM   #15
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

It depends; both are fine - as long as you don't jump in with the jab, which leaves you wide open for a counter.
itrymariti is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing