Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Benny Kid Paret

Besides Him getting killed in the ring I do not know much about this man except that he was known for his toughness. Can anyone educate me about him.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benny Kid Paret

Generally aggressive fighter, quick handed, and often exciting, although his fights could sometimes descend into ugly, boring inside maul-fests. Won the title in an awfully dull fight with Don Jordan, in which he was actually favored to take the title coming in. Beat the respected top contender Federico Thompson (who had KO'd Jordan in a non-title fight) in defense of his title. In his first fight with Griffith, the two waged an interesting and evenly-fought battle for much of the way, until Griff surprisingly KO'd him with a quick combo out of the blue. Their rematch was one of the most boring title fights in history. The two clutched and mauled at close quarters for all 15 rounds. Paret won a UD that was seen as controversial by many. It's ironic that a "gift" decision may have actually led to the end of Paret's life, as it led to the necessity of the fatal third fight with Griffith. In between the 2nd and 3rd Griffith fights, he fought an all-out war with Gene Fullmer for the MW title, and was pounded into a late round stoppage. Many people suspected the Fullmer fight probably took something out of him, and also may have caused the brain damage that ultimately led to his death. In the rubber match with Griffith, Griff fought one of the most intense and energetic fights of his career, as he swarmed all over Paret from beginning to end. Paret managed to catch him coming in with a quick left hook around the 3rd or 4th round and dropped him hard, but the bell rang a few seconds later and possibly saved Griffith. Griff recovered and came back to wear down Paret and batter him into the tragic late round stoppage.
My2Sense is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum