Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323
Default Just got ruined in 1st sparring session

So annoyed! I sparred a couple other guys, all more experienced than me and did ok although i think that if they wanted to they could've hurt me, but this one fella was just too good. He hit me hard and good, im marked up a bit round my eye, just whenever i went in he'd just come back bish, bosh, bash and i couldn't do **** all. Is it normal to be pretty clueless 1st time out, i mean i've been taught how to block, slip, parry etc but when it came to it i froze. Did i bottle it or is that normal? One major thing i found was when i covered up i found i was looking pretty much at the floor obviously not seeing his punches so i need to address that.
Smudger is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Just got ruined in 1st sparring session

Its normal. For some it may take a while to relax when someone is throwing at you. It took me about 12 sparring sessions before I was relaxed enough in firing range to apply what I learned effectively (just like in your case, I knew WHAT to do but didnt do it). Once you get over that barrier the learning comes much easier and your already light years ahead of where you started.
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Perfectly normal mate, don't worry about it.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
sixtennshots
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

If you were an inexperienced bballer or footballer would you expect to be schooled by a vet on the court or park? no doubts! It's all experience which you will be better for.
sixtennshots is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
app80

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
So annoyed! I sparred a couple other guys, all more experienced than me and did ok although i think that if they wanted to they could've hurt me, but this one fella was just too good. He hit me hard and good, im marked up a bit round my eye, just whenever i went in he'd just come back bish, bosh, bash and i couldn't do **** all. Is it normal to be pretty clueless 1st time out, i mean i've been taught how to block, slip, parry etc but when it came to it i froze. Did i bottle it or is that normal? One major thing i found was when i covered up i found i was looking pretty much at the floor obviously not seeing his punches so i need to address that.
Give it a couple months mate, and come back and read this... You'll be surprised how far you go in such a short time. Also - when you're in there, dont think too much , pick a couple of things and work on them, over thinking leads to not throwing your hands enough.
Dont be in range unless you're the one throwing, and no matter what, keep your eyes on the motherf**ker at all times....
Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Don't worry about it, my first sparring session got stopped 20 seconds into it over me running into a big right hand on the nose that caused a lot of bloodflow. It's no big deal, just realize you have to make it through the early beatings to get better. The more experience you get, the less you will get hit, the more comfortable you will be, and you will perform better and learn more things.
boxingwizard is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #7
SchweitzerMan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1423

Quote:
Don't feel too bad about it dude. I remember spending a week working out hard cause I was told I would get a chance to spar with Adam Trupish, Canada's Olympic boxing captain, and got schooled so bad. I kept dropping my jab after I threw it, I couldn't get off any combos, etc etc. Sure, I was able to land one good clean left hand on his face but from there on, it was all him. He schooled me, made me miss and made me want to quit for about ten seconds.

But the truth is that it made me a better fighter. My next sparring session went a lot better. You'll be better for this
SchweitzerMan is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #8
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Normal !! You do the drills and the training and the pads and bags and think youve got something and then it does fall apart in the ring, I think its only once you get used to getting hit a bit and being in the environment you can then start employing the skills youve learnt. Im not expert only spared a few times myself but i can tell you as another newbie it soon gets better. Everytime you do it youll feel youve improved
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
littleangus44

First time a sparred was against my friend, we both joined the gym at the same time. He was a weight lifter before that but... its like he was afraid to hit me, i didn't hold back so i feel kinda bad but then again thats what he gets
littleangus44 is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
MrSmall
Journeyman

If there was ever a place to get ruined, it's your first anything.
First ***, first sparring, first fight, first exam.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Alrite thanks people im less wound up about it now i know its happened to everyone. It was just a big kick to the ego i think, i always had images of myself picking people apart mayweather style Plus it ain't nice getting hit on the button consistently. Just makes me wanna get better so i can one day give him a good fight and a couple shiners.
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Alrite thanks people im less wound up about it now i know its happened to everyone. It was just a big kick to the ego i think, i always had images of myself picking people apart mayweather style Plus it ain't nice getting hit on the button consistently. Just makes me wanna get better so i can one day give him a good fight and a couple shiners.
Perhaps you will some day. For now just concentrate on staying calm, keeping your eyes open and fixated on your opponent. The first things you need to unlearn are your natural reflexes of covering up and facing away or even closing your eyes when someone punches you. We all had to start there.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well there are some positives. I read tips on here a lot and i know people shut their eyes but that wasn't a problem for me, i just looked away instead Seriously though if i can train myself to look at my opponent when he's throwing i dont think i'll have a problem keeping them open. And i didn't turn my back either, although one punch caught me off balance and made me turn a bit. Just itching to get back in now, i'm happy i know i can take a decent shot now, but even more happy that i took a beating but in a weird way can't wait for the next one. So i suppose it's not all bad
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
See you probably realise yourself its done you good in a way? You are no longer kidding yourself and you seem to have the right attitude now to learn! Which is very important imo
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

haha welcome aboard.
Youngblood is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing