Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Ruben Olivares vs Naseem Hamed - two explosive punchers... Who takes it?

Two very heavy handed legends are in their respective primes. Who wins and why?
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Ruben Olivares vs Naseem Hamed - two explosive punchers... Who takes it?

Seriously?
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Ruben Olivares vs Naseem Hamed - two explosive punchers... Who takes it?

Olivares. Hamed could punch like a donkey-kick and was great at catching opponents with unorthodox shots that were hard to anticipate, but little old Rockabye took souls.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Olivares. Hamed could punch like a donkey-kick and was great at catching opponents with unorthodox shots that were hard to anticipate, but little old Rockabye took souls.
Not entirely satisfied with your explanation here, Tin-Ribs. Olivares was a terrific Bantamweight, but he had been stopped multiple times at 126lbs. For all of Hamed's flaws, the guy could punch. Care to elaborate as to why the ever engaging Olivares doesn't find himself on the end of left hands?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ruben would put him to sleep in 5.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Olivares by KO
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

If Hamed fought Oliveras with his hands in his pockets like he did against most of his other opponents he'd be waking up in the changerooms IMO.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
ricardinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 259

Olivares would have won hands down
ricardinho is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Not entirely satisfied with your explanation here, Tin-Ribs. Olivares was a terrific Bantamweight, but he had been stopped multiple times at 126lbs. For all of Hamed's flaws, the guy could punch. Care to elaborate as to why the ever engaging Olivares doesn't find himself on the end of left hands?
Seems I've misinterpreted the thread; I thought it was to do with who hit harder.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I personally feel Olivares was not at his best. If Hamed can come through some rocky moments and it's the 'best' Hamed that shows up (i.e at his most resilient and with top reflexes, well for him) I say he stops Olivares.

On a P4P punching sense I'd have Olivares in the top 10 and Hamed top 20.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

There isn't a doubt in my mind that Olivares could turn up overweight, tired, drained, drunk, sore, overworked, underpaid, and still box the chops off someone with the ghastly fundamentals of Hamed.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
There isn't a doubt in my mind that Olivares could turn up overweight, tired, drained, drunk, sore, overworked, underpaid, and still box the chops off someone with the ghastly fundamentals of Hamed.
...no
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Olivares was certainly less impregnable at 126 than at 122 mainly due to the aforementioned reasons. But it's the highlighted part that nails it for me. Olivares was still an excellent all-round fighter who could fight off the back foot quite effectively, as demonstrated in the Arguello fight prior to the latter's power eventually coming through late on. It wouldn't be inaccurate IMO to say that Olivares generally struggled more against the strong stand-up types with good power and fundamentals who weren't afraid to push him back. Hamed had power in abundance and therefore the potential to catch Olivares at any point. But his lack of fundamental skill and limited ability to lead would hurt him here if Olivares fought with a degree of sense and didn't charge in. Hamed generally needed an opponent's aggression to feed off, so if Olivares was able to temper his own aggression and fall back onto the other tools in his arsenal, he'd win IMO.

Plus let's not forget that Olivares had the power to lay Hamed out just as easily to the contrary.

Still, Hamed could very well pull it out of the bag if Olivares was in prior pisshead mode.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Olivares was a fighting machine a stone-cold destroyer in the ring, the man had no emotion

Hamed was a flash IMO talent but fundamentally flawed, Olivares had weaknesses but he was very well rounded and loked to cover up his weaknesses. Hamed made no attempt to improve his weaknesses and equalised it with as big punch but Olivares could take Hameds punch and punch him back just as hard

Olivares KO 8
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have always hated Naseem Hamed, but he would have won as he pleased. A few rounds of fooling around - and then he would have knocked out flat Olivares.
Hamed was an Assh. - but he would have won. I could never stand the guy, but in this fight he would be great.

Woller
Woller is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum