Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Learning to double left hook

What's up guys,
I've been trying to double up on my left hook and this has proven somewhat difficult for me to throw with speed. From all the pros that I've watched, it appears that when they double or triple the hook, they always throw the hook with the palm facing in. I'm not sure why the hook with the fist turned over seems to slow down when it's thrown multiple times (unless it's just my technique). Also, instead of making a full pivot (left foot) after the first hook, I only pivot partially, using the full pivot on the last hook that I throw? Is this the correct way to do it? Any advice on doubling and tripling the left hooks to the head? Also, any videos you can find would be greatly appreciated. -WIB
wordisbond is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Default Re: Learning to double left hook

Watch Vladimir Klitschko, his left hooks are awesome!

Vlad/Austin, five left hooks in a row!!!!!!!
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 11500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboxer View Post
Watch Vladimir Klitschko, his left hooks are awesome!

Vlad/Austin, five left hooks in a row!!!!!!!
This was pretty unhelpful, Farmy.

The kid's looking more for technical advice than youtube suggestions.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 11500

I was taught to always hook with the palm/thumb facing you (never turned, assuming you mean so that the aperture between the top and the thumb is facing you?).

As for the pivot, there may not be a universal right answer there, the important thing is that you maintain your balance throughout. Play around with it until you find what's comfortable in terms of balance and then keep at it, the speed will come.

If someone with substantially more knowledge shares theirs (very likely) then by all means ignore my advice and defer to theirs.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

The hook with the palm down isn't a slower version of the palm facing you BUT when a boxer throws the hook with the palm facing you they often throw the punches from their elbow and NOT their hips/shoulder so they LOOK faster but are substanatially less powerful. It's another cheat way of punching.

If you can't get multiple hooks off throwing the punch properly then you are throwing them at the wrong time. Many guys score alot with the multiple slappy hooks but I prefer proper hooks to be thrown as they can help to bring about a ko, which should be every boxers ultimate aim due to it's conclusive nature.

Because you are throwing multiple hooks you aren't pivoting 2 or 3 times. Your weight goes to the ball of your left foot and your body does turn but the follow up shots are really coming from the rotation of your hips and predominantly shoulder. It all depends on how much you recoil on the second and third hook. How much recoil depends on how long you have to get the punch off which affects the speed of the shot thrown and the power generated.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Trey029
Journeyman

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 2:43-2:46, a good double left hook knockdown
Trey029 is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Mate im no expert. But if i can do anything it's a nice left jab and double left hook. ( i brkoe my right hand last year getting into a fight, i could only hit with my left for monthes but still trained)

Anyway, i cant give you step by but i will say work on a rock solid stance(very important for doubling up punches). Use the heavy bag a lot to start it off. Try and secure your right hand where it is irrelevant to you during the left hook.

Then basically do it over and over until it feels good and looks good in the mirror. Then bring it to the floor to ceiling for accuracy and shadow box it for making it useable in sparring.

And basically try and copy the movements of the pros if your coach or fellow fighters are dumb.

Tip- double left involves a lot of balance if youre doing it from pure stance. Dont be afraid to lean on the guy for leverage and hit him where it counts. Practise leaning on the bag and throwing a sneaky left left. If you land a good body shot while he's trying to out lean you, it hurts more.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

I found this video that shows a double left hook (1:30-2:30 mark):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6KZyX5bAJU[/ame]

I guess to speed up the combination, you just need to make the transition from one hook to another very short and compact as the guy demonstrates.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Palm facing down is . its thrown from the guard (ie correctly) and in an over position and is by far the harder punch to master.
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibit View Post
I found this video that shows a double left hook (1:30-2:30 mark):
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I guess to speed up the combination, you just need to make the transition from one hook to another very short and compact as the guy demonstrates.
Yes thanks. I have seen this video before, and I definitely do not like the pupil. He seems to very very sloppy, and the way the dangles his left guard just seems to irk me. The instructure is great though, but why is it that he does not teach the double left hook with the palm facing down?
wordisbond is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2009, 01:17 AM   #11
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

First, you have to land the 1st one.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

My experience with the double hook is in its impatiency stages. The technique looks great on the bag but in sparring its just the opposite. Why is the last hook not that effective in sparring? Well, based on my experience you need the momentum from landing the first one cleanly that will give you some leverage to setup the second one.
cheech is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
denko

watch roj jones jr. vs jeff lacy fight....roj is throwing lots of double even tripple hooks (while he is talking with the audience ) in my oppinion he has the fastest and the most elicit hook out there...
denko is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

one thing i find taht helps is stepping forward and to the left to land the first left hook then the second one follows behind so you move like this

\ ..............Your opponent's belly button as they stand side on
..\
....\
......\
........\
........Your Left Foot
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179