Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default What welterweights would you pick to beat the Duran of the first Leonard fight?

He was on fire that night. Maybe the best performance from one of the best fighters of all time P4P. What welterweights would you pick to win?
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What welterweights would you pick to beat the Duran of the first Leonard fight?

Defensive, stick and move merchants. Duran nuthuggers claim he was past his best after this fight, didnt train properly, insert your excuse, but in reality when someone presented movement, speed and good defense he had nightmares. Whitaker, R Leonard, Benitez, Mayweather, amongst others. Plus Robinson and Hearns beat him for different reasons.

Other tough match ups that may well beat him include Galivan, Curry, Forrest, DLH, Quartey, Napoles
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Default Re: What welterweights would you pick to beat the Duran of the first Leonard fight?

There are the obvious players, but an interesting dark horse is Basilio. Possibly the only man that might be able to handle Duran on the inside. I'm not saying he would, but it's one to think about.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Defensive, stick and move merchants. Duran nuthuggers claim he was past his best after this fight, didnt train properly, insert your excuse, but in reality when someone presented movement, speed and good defense he had nightmares. Whitaker, R Leonard, Benitez, Mayweather, amongst others. Plus Robinson and Hearns beat him for different reasons.

Other tough match ups that may well beat him include Galivan, Curry, Forrest, DLH, Quartey, Napoles
Must make a prime Robinson favourite. Even at MW he had such perfect movement, heavy punch and granite chin. It's almost imposssible to envision him being beat at WW when bringing his best.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
There are the obvious players, but an interesting dark horse is Basilio. Possibly the only man that might be able to handle Duran on the inside. I'm not saying he would, but it's one to think about.
Would be a great fight, for sure.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I would have to say, right off the top of my head...Hearns and of course...Napoles, with Robinson and possibly...possibly now...Kid Gavilan.
red cobra is online now  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I believe that Benitez deserves mention...and I don't care if that's sacriledge...but after all, he did boss Duran at junior middle and at his best I think welter would be no different.
red cobra is online now  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer View Post
He was on fire that night. Maybe the best performance from one of the best fighters of all time P4P. What welterweights would you pick to win?
NONE!!! In June of 1980, nobody from 135 to 150 pounds was gonna beat Duran in the ring.... In June of '80, Duran was pumped, psyched and in-shape at a TIGHT 145 pounds.........

Again, Duran did immediately balloon up in weight after the brawl in Montreal against SRL, but Duran still looked physically good at 147 in Nov. for SRL in New Orleans........ Duran may have been slightly drained from rapid weight loss, etc.... But he still could've beaten 90% of the welter's out there; just not a charged SRL in New Orleans......... Duran mentally was not the same in New Orleans......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
NONE!!! In June of 1980, nobody from 135 to 150 pounds was gonna beat Duran in the ring.... In June of '80, Duran was pumped, psyched and in-shape at a TIGHT 145 pounds.........

Again, Duran did immediately balloon up in weight after the brawl in Montreal against SRL, but Duran still looked physically good at 147 in Nov. for SRL in New Orleans........ Duran may have been slightly drained from rapid weight loss, etc.... But he still could've beaten 90% of the welter's out there; just not a charged SRL in New Orleans......... Duran mentally was not the same in New Orleans......

MR.BILL
Duran did not train a lick after Montreal. And the Leonard camp knew he would react this way which is why they booked the fight for as soon as possible. And per the topic question, I would lay my money on this version of Duran over just about any welter that can be mentioned. Basilio is a nice idea, Robinson does not provide enough footage at that weight for me to assess...
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Duran did not train a lick after Montreal. And the Leonard camp knew he would react this way which is why they booked the fight for as soon as possible. And per the topic question, I would lay my money on this version of Duran over just about any welter that can be mentioned. Basilio is a nice idea, Robinson does not provide enough footage at that weight for me to assess...
Some of the hoopla after Montreal is over played about Roberto Duran... It is true that Duran ballooned in weight during the months of July and August of 1980, and by Sept of '80, R.D. was reported above 170 pounds.... Some claim he was at upward of 184 pounds, but I smell some bullshit there..... Still, all in all, by Nov. 1980, down in New Orleans, Duran managed to make 147 pounds.... Was he drained or weaken??? Probably to a degree...... Did he still show muscle tone and texture in his body in the rematch??? YES!! So, weather Duran trained hard or not, he was in pretty good shape at 147 pounds and his body had tone to it..... Duran was NOT a slob for the rematch.... He was also NOT in top form, either.... Still, he was fighting SRL on fairly even terms going into round 8 at the Superdome...... Duran quit from frustration due to SRL's clowning and jiving.... It was a bold move; one Duran later regretted..... Point is, Duran was not a slob or pig in New Orleans.... R.D. in that condition was still able to beat "9" other 147 lb. contenders / pretenders.......... IMO!!!

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Only Robinson, in my estimation. After Montreal, KO Magazine conducted a poll to name the greatest WW of all time. Duran came in second to Robby, and that's how I've had it ever since. 147 was not the best weight for Hearns or Walker. Duran's chin was never dented at this weight. Against Monroe Brooks, he demonstrated one punch knockout power (with a body shot, no less). Nobody ever dominated Palomino like he did, and only Duran was ever able to drop Palomino in a later round. (Armando Muniz caught the slow starting Carlos cold in their first match.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Not much. I can only think about Benetiz & Hearns.
techks is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Roberto Duran was the # 1 pound-4-pound fighter in the world after Montreal......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Other than the usual suspects, Rodriguez would have given Duran fits IMO.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Micky Walker is my main pick.

Robinson is other pick.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum