Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #151
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What welterweights would you pick to beat the Duran of the first Leonard fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
So you're claiming Hearns to be prime in the rematch?

I'll choose Duran II!!!!!

Yet you tell us you're this GREAT Leonard fan and love him and, and, and

ffs
I think you should calm down a little, you're going to end up in the hospital on Christmas.

Where and how did I do anything even remotely like claim Hearns was prime in the Barkley rematch?? I'm saying that Barkley did not "get lucky" with Hearns, because he beat him twice in two different ways. That would have to be some crazy luck now, wouldn't it?

You choose Duran II? That speaks volumes, to be honest. Benitez was a far more complete all-round performance than Duran II, where Leonard spent much of his time clowning around.

Can you read?? I said I am a great dis-believer in the first Leonard-Hearns fight. How in your small, strange brain does that mean I am not a Ray Leonard fan?
Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #152
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: What welterweights would you pick to beat the Duran of the first Leonard fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I think you should calm down a little, you're going to end up in the hospital on Christmas.
You're the fool on steroids, but of course they don't harm your health if you know what you're doing

Quote:
Where and how did I do anything even remotely like claim Hearns was prime in the Barkley rematch??
Well, Dopp said

Quote:
It's very hard to look good (or even win) against prime Hearns unless you throw hell for leather and go right at him (Hagler) or get lucky (Barkley).
You said in reply

Quote:
Did Barkley get lucky twice in two different ways?
Doesn't get much easier to follow ffs

Quote:
You choose Duran II? That speaks volumes, to be honest. Benitez was a far more complete all-round performance than Duran II, where Leonard spent much of his time clowning around.
Leonard totally embarrassed a guy that had just beaten him very recently. Benitez didn't look like beating him. Hell, he made him quit.

Maybe for you it's about looking pretty and eloquent, but for some it's the "W" column and getting the job done

Quote:
Can you read?? I said I am a great dis-believer in the first Leonard-Hearns fight. How in your small, strange brain does that mean I am not a Ray Leonard fan?
I think redrooster has found his lifelong soulmate
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #153
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
"I kind of think that, though I'm not really very sure mind, but I kind of think that.... Duran beat the best SRL, while SRL did not beat the best Duran".

"I kind of think that, though I'm not really very sure mind, but I kind of think that.... the best Tyson would beat the best heavyweight Holyfield".

You all happy now?
Well, throw a blow job from Scarlett Johanssen in the bargain, and you're sure getting close.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #154
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

I've always favoured Robinson clearly, there's always been people who feel Duran on this night could do it, not me.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #155
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Duran that night ranks with the best welterweights. Robnson beats him. Hearns always presents a problem. Gavilan and Griffith would trouble him. Napoles was very good. Maybe Whitaker. That would be interesting.

That Duran beats Ray Leonard everytime, though. Duran was just better than Leonard at that weight. He dominated a prime Leonard. He also dominated Palomino, who was an outstanding welterweight. Duran was proven at the welter. You have to rank him very highly.
MrMarvel is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #156
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

I still think this guy would smash Duran.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3SWCo_7gok[/ame]
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #157
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You're the fool on steroids, but of course they don't harm your health if you know what you're doing

Well, Dopp said

You said in reply

Doesn't get much easier to follow ffs
Your point doesn't really cut it though, considering Barkley beat him twice, and I had already explained why I did not think that you could say Barkley was "lucky":

Quote:
It wasn't an act of God that Tommy was hurt by that punch, it was his own inherent frailty as a fighter.
Quote:
Leonard totally embarrassed a guy that had just beaten him very recently. Benitez didn't look like beating him. Hell, he made him quit.
Benitez was a more complete boxing performance by far. The Duran fight was more high profile sure, but Leonard did not prove the range of his ability in that fight, especially not his offensive side. As I say, your analysis of Ray's 'best performance' speaks volumes about your grasp of the sport.

Quote:
Maybe for you it's about looking pretty and eloquent, but for some it's the "W" column and getting the job done
This is a hopelessly idiotic point.

I have been saying that Benitez was Leonard's best performance. How on earth is deciding on a fighter's best performance about the "W column and getting the job done"??? That doesn't even make sense, in fact it borders on rank stupidity.

Benitez was a "W" where Leonard got the job done as was Duran II anyway, but in order to decide on what was the better performance you have to distinguish between them... don't you???

I distinguish between them and choose Benitez as the superior performance by looking beyond the "W" and the job being done. I look at Leonard's performance in both, and decide that he showed the full range of his abilities vs Benitez (which he did not do to the same extent in Duran II), and thus decide on Benitez as the better performance because it was (to use your ill-fitting word) "prettier", in that it was a more impressive all-round boxing display.

How exactly does a boxer look 'eloquent' anyway???

Quote:
I think redrooster has found his lifelong soulmate
Wrong again chum. If you look back one page, you will see this comment from myself:

Quote:
Leonard's finishing combinations were absolutely magnificent. I'd rather attribute the end of the fight to that than anything else.
Does that sound like something redrooster would say?

Nope, did not think so.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #158
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I'm surprised this thread is still going? Anyway, every fighter's resume can be picked apart trust me on that. People try to be unbiased or say they are unbiased but nobody really is. You are going to pull for the fighter you like everytime.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #159
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It is possible to be biased and yet also realistic and fair you know.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #160
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
I still think this guy would smash Duran.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
At middle, he'd win. At Welter? Nah.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #161
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Hearns would beat him every time. Pernell Whitaker would beat him. Floyd might if he stayed away. To beat Duran you beat him with speed. Foot speed first than hand speed. Benitez beat him easily also.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum