boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #16
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: What welterweights would you pick to beat the Duran of the first Leonard fight?

I think that version is capable of beating anyone whoever laced them up at the weight...but I think he would have to catch guys like Robinson or Hearns on a bad night to pick up the win.

A lot of 50-50 calls aswell...The kind of fights that would split opinion.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
brando18b4h
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What welterweights would you pick to beat the Duran of the first Leonard fight?

The only other WW I would give a chance to beat this version of Duran is Sugar Ray Robinson who I rate as the best P4P fighter of all time. however I have only seen limited footage of Robinson at this weight and I just find it hard to envision anyone beating Roberto on that night.
brando18b4h is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #18
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Also, I gotta say that the Duran from the "Palomino-Leonard" fights from 1979 / '80, would beat the ever lovin' **** out of Julio C. Chavez from 1989 to 1993...... Duran by KO over Chavez in a one-sided encounter / affair........ Peace....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Only Robinson for sure. Benitez was stronger and more mature and Duran wasn't quite "Montreal" Duran when he fought Benitez. I don't believe Tommy Hearns is a slam dunk to beat "Montreal" Duran. Maybe a great mover like Luis Manuel Rodriguez could pull it off but no sure thing.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 02:26 AM   #20
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Sugar Ray Robinson
Thomas Hearns
Sugar Ray Leonard (post initial encounter)

Less confident - Gavilan would be tough, Napoles too, Armstrong interesting, Benitez interesting, Walker and Burley interesting.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 AM   #21
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I agree with whoever stated that Duran of early '82 against Benitez was NOT as tuned or primed like he was for SRL in Montreal earlier in '80........ I know HBO remarked that Duran looked good going in against Benitez, but that song changed after 4 or 5 rds......... Physically I thought Duran looked pretty good at 152 pounds, but he was sluggish and breathing hard by round 10...... Duran was NOT the same.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #22
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

(bracing myself for the outrage)... No-one except Robinson. And I include Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns in that. Napoles would give him a great fight though.

Last edited by Popkins; 12-21-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #23
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Noboby beats Duran on that night.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #24
The Morlocks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer View Post
He was on fire that night. Maybe the best performance from one of the best fighters of all time P4P. What welterweights would you pick to win?
Noone. But I'd include the palimino fight as well.
The Morlocks is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #25
The Morlocks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
NONE!!! In June of 1980, nobody from 135 to 150 pounds was gonna beat Duran in the ring.... In June of '80, Duran was pumped, psyched and in-shape at a TIGHT 145 pounds.........

Again, Duran did immediately balloon up in weight after the brawl in Montreal against SRL, but Duran still looked physically good at 147 in Nov. for SRL in New Orleans........ Duran may have been slightly drained from rapid weight loss, etc.... But he still could've beaten 90% of the welter's out there; just not a charged SRL in New Orleans......... Duran mentally was not the same in New Orleans......

MR.BILL
Or physically if you look at his physique. Plus he looked bored from the beginninng. Duran hunger was satiated in Montreal and the fierce warrior and style was NEVER seen again.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #26
The Morlocks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Only Robinson, in my estimation. After Montreal, KO Magazine conducted a poll to name the greatest WW of all time. Duran came in second to Robby, and that's how I've had it ever since. 147 was not the best weight for Hearns or Walker. Duran's chin was never dented at this weight. Against Monroe Brooks, he demonstrated one punch knockout power (with a body shot, no less). Nobody ever dominated Palomino like he did, and only Duran was ever able to drop Palomino in a later round. (Armando Muniz caught the slow starting Carlos cold in their first match.)
That was "Big Book of Boxing" the result one also had a great tribute to Victor Galindez right before he died.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #27
The Morlocks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Also, I gotta say that the Duran from the "Palomino-Leonard" fights from 1979 / '80, would beat the ever lovin' **** out of Julio C. Chavez from 1989 to 1993...... Duran by KO over Chavez in a one-sided encounter / affair........ Peace....

MR.BILL
At lightweight he puts him out in 10.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Hearns
donald curry is always a good option also.
robinson of course.
marlon starling
delahoya
paul williams (the one who murderred quintana)

maybe even vernon forrest , but i will not argue about this idea.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Robinson
Hearns

I give Shane Mosley a decent shot
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you followed the recent "Latin Welterweight Tourney" Most posters here actually picked Luis Rodriguez to defeat Duran.
la-califa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum